Need to change hospital - John Radcliffe or Stoke Mandeville?

(14 Posts)
RainyAfternoon Tue 06-May-14 12:27:10

Hello, I am due at the end of July, currently booked in at Wexham Park but I have decided to change hospitals given that Wexham is now in special measures since last week. I know that this doesn't necessarily mean that I won't receive good care, however the situation has been ongoing for some time now and they don't seem to be resolving anything. I'm now feeling uncomfortable about going there.

My other choices are John Radcliffe or Stoke. I can't get very excited about any choice really, as my ideal would be to have the baby in a midwife led centre, but I am not eligible due to being over 40. We are equidistant from both hospitals (50 mins). Can anyone help me figure this one out?

TBH, I'm more concerned with safety and efficiency than having the perfect experience as it's my third baby - both previous births were very long - 1st was induced and 2nd dislocated my leg when he was born, so I'm not kidding myself this one will be much fun, but do need to make a decision quite soon as I'm now 28 weeks.

Thanks for any thoughts/help!

Schlobbob Tue 06-May-14 20:46:30

I had DS2 at SM, my labour was very quick but it was a clean environment, lovely efficient midwives who didn't leave me in labour and as my birth went well and baby and I were OK we went straight home from labour ward. there is a triage room where you are assessed on arrival then taken down to labour ward, it was 6am arrival for me and not busy! I had DS1 at MK and at the time it was also in special measures but it meant I was never left alone but I did feel things weren't explained to me properly as I was high risk with PIH. Hope that helps!

CocktailQueen Tue 06-May-14 20:48:47

I had both dc at Stoke mandeville. Both vg experiences and I was looked after well. Dd - planned cs, stayed for 3 nights. DS - lots of drugs and episiotomy but vbac, and went home same day. I can recommend it. (Stoke, not the episiotomy - though that was fine too!)

Spockster Tue 06-May-14 20:54:18

I had DD2 at Stoke M. It was fine. But 50 mins is a long way when you're in labour, esp with Dc3! I had an op at Wexham in 2010 and it was great. Also 2 friends had DD there last month and it was fine. Do what's best for you but Wexham will be just fine!

KarenHL Tue 06-May-14 20:59:00

I had DC1 at Stoke and DC2 at JR. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for Stoke. Parking is better at JR (but that might have changed in the past X years).

Nursing care was v.similar at both. I had a horrible consultant at JR. If Stoke hasn't changed, most of the midwives were v.good.

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 06-May-14 22:13:39

Hi op what about Reading?

They have a totally amazing birthing unit on top floor its like an hotel, with gorgeous rooms, private loo, water pools...

I have used it twice and found it to be good....I have heard bad things about it, but never ever ever as bad as Wexham, I would never ever go near Wexham if I can help it. I am amazed its taken so long to get to special measures....

RainyAfternoon Tue 06-May-14 22:30:08

Thank you all! It's really useful to hear your experiences.

Knitted I hadn't really thought about Reading, but I think it is an option for me, so I'll check it out as well.

Spockster unfortunately we're a long way from everywhere - even Wexham is a good 40 min for us. I'd go to Wycombe if I could as it's only 15min, but they won't let me as I'm too old!

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 06-May-14 22:38:46

Definalty check Reading out op, its had millions spent on this new birthing suite which also means, more beds....I thought I was in some fab modern spanish hotel in barcelona....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-19658346

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 06-May-14 22:39:00

Rushey midwife led unit

KnittedJimmyChoos Tue 06-May-14 22:39:40

Whereever you end up, good luck, and you have made 100% the right decsion to steer well clear of wexham...

JR were fantastic with me; I'd recommend although parking is horrendous.

I had 3 at the JR, really good experiences all three times, although very different births. They do have a pool in the main birthing suite you can use even if you can't go to the MW led unit.

SapSuma Wed 07-May-14 19:26:51

JR were amazing. Must have come into contact with 20 medical staff or more, all proffessional and with good bed side manner. Couldnt fault them at all.

kiwiscantfly Fri 09-May-14 02:10:39

This makes me sad, I had DD at Wexham in 2011, and while they were short staffed I couldn't fault the care (elcs breech baby). It's a funny part of the world, so many people and hospitals so spread out. What about the quality of roads, friends of mine in Bourne End and Marlow chose JR because the M40 was a nicer drive.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now