What to sit on post episiotomy or tear?

(18 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Sat 26-Apr-14 10:07:16

Previous big babies and tear last time. Likely to need elective episiotomy this time as looks like another big baby.

Donut cushions seem exspensive. Don't want to buy in case I don't need it.

Any alternative s?

PrincessBabyCat Sat 26-Apr-14 10:27:28

Boppy Pillows! smile They're soft and amazing, and then you can use them to prop your arms up to make it easier to feed baby.

buffythebarbieslayer Sat 26-Apr-14 10:49:14

What are boppy pillows?!

PrincessBabyCat Sat 26-Apr-14 11:15:11

www.boppy.com/shop/category/boppy-pillows/ They have a hole in the center like a donut cushion, but they can also be used for nursing, baby to relax in, tummy time, etc... We put ours in it to just let her take a nap sometimes. You can probably find them in your area's amazon website.

cravingcake Sat 26-Apr-14 15:57:48

Dont bother getting anything. If you have a bad tear or episiotomy then sitting sort of sideways helps take pressure off when needed. If you sit on a donut ring then there is notthing supporting the scar so its sort of hanging rather than a flat cushion which sort of supports from underneath iykwim. Take good pain relief and it will be ok. If you really need it then send your DH to Boots or order online for next day delivery.

SomethingAboutNothing Sat 26-Apr-14 16:06:36

Our local NCT hire out a valley cushion, maybe enquire whether yours do too?

TheScience Sat 26-Apr-14 16:11:04

I've had 2 epis and never needed something special to sit on.

buffythebarbieslayer Sat 26-Apr-14 16:40:04

Thanks, won't bother I don't think. Will cross the bridge when it comes!

emmac3616 Sun 27-Apr-14 20:35:47

Two rolled up towels, one under each leg!

BrokenBananaTantrum Sun 27-Apr-14 20:37:44

I was given a pressure cushion by my HV.was brill. You might be providedwith one. Worth asking.

TBH the best thing that my MW prescribed when she saw that I still couldn't sit down 4 days pp was some really good pain killers. After they kicked in I was fine in a decent arm chair.

Passmethecrisps Mon 28-Apr-14 22:34:41

I used big fat maternity towels soaked in witch hazel straight from the fridge. I didn't need anything more cushioned. I think I just sat slightly differently

stleger Mon 28-Apr-14 22:50:15

One of those things from travel stands that goes round your neck when you sleep on planes. They are like horseshoe beanbags. And good luck!

MrsBungle Mon 28-Apr-14 22:53:46

I didn't sit on anything special. I sat sideways and took loads of pain killers! Go knicker-less as much as possible and a cool flannel helped me!

kinkytoes Mon 28-Apr-14 23:02:07

I was told by the mw that a donut type cushion would actually pull on the stitches shock so just sat on a normal pillow. However I had a terrible time recovering and for about a week couldn't sit down at all. Was most comfortable in the bath and spent a lot of time crying in there. Strong painkillers are a must!

redcaryellowcar Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:47

boots maternity towels are really thick and only just over a pound for 10, they seemed sufficient after both births one episiotomy and one tear.

CrepeFoofette Thu 01-May-14 05:08:48

What helped me after a second degree tear and internal and external stitches was:

*maternity pads soaked in water and frozen
*doubling up on painkillers i.e. paracetamol then ibuprofen after two hours, then paracetamol two hours after that etc
*a diclofenac suppository given to me by my midwife (not to be used with other painkillers!)
*lying on my back with legs open and pad pulled away from stitches

I tried a number of seated positions, and sitting on different things, but only the above really helped.

All the best thanks

iloveweetos Thu 01-May-14 05:23:02

I just sat on normal pillows. Save your money. And deffo ask for more painkillers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now