First period after csection

(15 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Thu 24-Apr-14 13:58:50

Right, brief me. I'm VERY blood phobic. I mean full on panic attacks. I'm bottle feeding. With dd1 (vaginal birth) I bled for 3 weeks postnatal then the MOTHER of periods returned at about 5/6 weeks. So heavy I was admitted back onto the ward with query retained products (I didn't) but it was an avalanche.

I'm only 9 days postnatal with dd2 (elcs) and the bleeding is very light. Stopped at day 6 and has come back a bit today. So come on, hit me, will I have a car crash first period again?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 24-Apr-14 14:10:10

I was mix feeding and had first period about 6 weeks after c section and it was pretty normal to be honest, I was expecting it to be horrific.
However I generally have very light periods over 3 days, so might depend on what you normally had before babies.

cravingcake Thu 24-Apr-14 20:28:34

I'm breast feeding DD (13 weeks now) and first period after elcs was not too bad. It was about normal to what I used to have before getting pregnant so not too bad. It was only about 2 weeks after lochia had stopped so I wasn't sure at first that it was period or more lochia from overdoing things.

Tea1Sugar Thu 24-Apr-14 21:40:05

Thanks craving. Personal q but did you use tampons for first period? I don't know if you're "allowed"

cravingcake Fri 25-Apr-14 06:06:25

Unfortunately i cant use tampons at all since having my DS 2.5 years ago. I had a very bad tear and prolapse so they just dont stay put.

I dont know what the 'rules' are as such but it didnt say anything anywhere about not using them so its probably ok.

rainbowfeet Fri 25-Apr-14 06:38:26

After my elc I bled not too heavy for a few weeks then went straight into 1st period which was about normal really a bit more clotty & lasted about a week! Not too traumatic. smile

Tea1Sugar Fri 25-Apr-14 10:29:16

That's my worry, that if I bleed straight into a period I won't know whether it's lochia or period.

cravingcake Sat 26-Apr-14 16:11:26

Do you normally get any pms signs, like mood swings or cravings etc? Try to watch out for any of those and if bleeding starts with pms signs then likely its period. I was able to tell within half a day as i just wanted to rip DH head off. Just a warning, while it wasnt too bad for me it did start fairly heavy but only for a few hours.

supermum83 Tue 29-Apr-14 08:48:51

My periods didn't return for over a year and were nice and normal (and regular) when they did.

ohdearitshappeningtome Tue 29-Apr-14 08:51:21

I'm 15 days post section and still having my bleeding!!! hmm

HappyAsASandboy Tue 29-Apr-14 09:02:48

I bled for 2 - 3 weeks post section. Was like a medium/heavy period for me.

Periods returned at 18 months post partum and were immediately like before; same flow, same duration, same cycle length.

TakingTheStairs Tue 29-Apr-14 09:08:14

I ovulated 6 weeks after my section (saw the egg on my 6 wk check up scan) and got my period about 3 weeks after that. Tea1Sugar I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between period blood and lochia but I was. It was just different. I waited until second period to use tampons again. Oh, and my periods are no heavier than they were before.

Tea1Sugar Wed 07-May-14 13:08:05

I'm day 22 post section now, still stop/start lochia and absolutely dreading first period!

wrapsuperstar Wed 07-May-14 13:12:02

I didn't get a period until 18 months post section, but my lochia went on foreverrrr.

First period was fine flow-wise, but was more painful than pre-pregnancy. Used a mooncup no problem.

bonzo77 Wed 07-May-14 13:19:25

I bottle fed almost from birth with both my CS babies. After DS1 my period had not returned after 10 weeks! At that point (having confirmed I was not pregnant again, which was feasible blush) I went back on the pill, and had a bleed as expected after the first packet. The bleeding was the same or maybe less than prior to having the baby. After DS2 I went back on the pill after 21 days, lochia had gone by then, and again I had a normal pill bleed after the first packet. I used tampons for those first "periods", as they both happened more than 6 weeks after the birth, I assumed it was OK (my cervix never really dilated with DS1 and DS2 was an elective). OP, if the pill agrees with you, and as you are formula feeding, you could go back on it straight away, as a bonus you will have full contraceptive cover after 7 days of taking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now