ELCS at Queen Charlotte's Hammersmith

(5 Posts)
studentvera Thu 24-Apr-14 11:58:11

Hi there I have an ELCS at Queen Charlotte's next week and am really nervous! Has anyone who has had one there tell me a little about it and talk me through your experience?

Thank you in advance!!

BakingBunty Thu 24-Apr-14 16:07:19

Hi there
I haven't had an ELCS at Queen Charlotte's but did have an EMCS there in 2011. The whole thing was much calmer than I expected, even though it was an emergency, and the theatre staff were all really lovely and reassuring. There are a LOT of people there, which initially freaked me out - but they're all doing a job, and will do everything they can to make you feel comfortable and calm.
As you will know, QCH is purely a maternity hospital, though next to Hammersmith Hospital, which I think gives it a really special vibe. And it means that they get some really great staff there.
If I had one criticism, it would be that the post-natal care wasn't great. For example, a midwife tried to get me to give my baby a bottle the night of delivery even though I was trying desperately hard to breastfeed. I got the feeling she just wanted DS to be quiet! I resisted and eventually got the knack of breastfeeding once someone took the time to help me - but I felt quite bullied and alone on the first night.
I was in hospital for a week (I had a uterine infection after my waters leaked early - wasn't clocked) and after five nights transferred to the private ward (Stanley Clayton). It was eye wateringly expensive but at that point I would have given my right arm for a room of my own and some peace!
The food isn't great and the café downstairs isn't up to much (SO jealous of hospitals that have an M&S food!) but DH brought lots of goodies in.
Best of luck, I really hope it goes smoothly for you. I'm back there in August, hopefully having a VBAC but we shall see... if I go for an ELCS, I'll be picking your brains in return!

studentvera Thu 24-Apr-14 16:57:48

Thank you so much baking bunting - good to hear someone's experience. Am so nervous about it all smile

BakingBunty Thu 24-Apr-14 20:42:38

Try not to be. They are good at it! Good friend had ELCS there and said it was an amazing experience. She had to wait around quite a lot (emergencies obviously take precedence) but she wouldn't hesitate to recommend QCH.

studentvera Tue 29-Apr-14 08:40:36

Shameless bump - anyone else...wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now