CS - why was I advised to wait 2 years?

(9 Posts)
LoopyLa Wed 23-Apr-14 19:58:17

Hi all

I had an EMCS 18 months ago & gave birth to my lovely DS. At the time, I was advised not to get pregnant until 2 years had past. I'm in no hurry to get pregnant but just wondered why I was advised 2 years & if that was standard OR does it vary depending on which trust your care came under? I wondered what the medical reason(s) were?

ZingWatermelon Wed 23-Apr-14 20:19:05

potential scar rupture is the main concern.

but the advice a fiend was given 10 years ago was to wait for at least a year and it is best if there's 2 years between the births, not 2 years from first child to starting to conceive.

I've read just last week that the 2 years thing seem to be outdated advice. very confusing.

I'd say get on with it, no need to wait any longer!

Itsfab Wed 23-Apr-14 20:23:12

I thought it was one year so maybe there has been new guidelines or something happened with you to make the doctors say 2 years.

I had my baby by EMCS and wasn't looked after well at all. My scar didn't heal and I had to have it redone when my baby was between 12-18 months old. I then had a baby when DC1 was 2 years 4 months and had a retained placenta. I was unaware this is common or can happen after a caesarean but I am sure the fact that the midwife decided to pull the cord didn't help hmm. 22 months after that baby I gave birth to dc3 and nearly had a scar rupture. DS2 was in trouble and it wasn't looking too good for either of us. The midwife said she never says this but strongly recommended we didn't have any more children. DH has had the snip sad.

I hope everything works out for you and you have the family you want.

littlegreengloworm Wed 23-Apr-14 20:25:36

I am seven months post c section and two months pregnant. I was told a year but after problems ttc last time around, we just went for it not expecting it to work on first cycle.

LoopyLa Thu 24-Apr-14 07:11:12

Itsfab that's so sad, I'm sorry sad

glowworm I've heard from several friends that they became pregnant within a year of a section don't don't think it's all that unusual!! Good luck with your pregnancy smile

And cheers Zing !

Cannotbelieveit Thu 24-Apr-14 08:15:29

I got pregnant with dc2 when dc1 was 4 months old. My consultant has never expressed concern about how close the pregnancies are (the rupture rates are tiny) and I'm fine to try for a VBAC (due Saturday!)

beccajoh Thu 24-Apr-14 08:19:49

I accidentally fell pregnant with DS when DD was 9 months old. It was fine and no one mentioned anything about not falling pregnant again.

Teatimecakes Thu 24-Apr-14 20:27:20

I'm 10 weeks with #2 and ds is 18 months born by elcs. I was also told that 2 years between births is the ideal time resulting in the lowest rupture risk. However, when I saw the midwife this week and told her we'd waited to ttc to get the two year gap she said the scar is as healed as it's going to be after 1 year. So we needn't have waited

Teatimecakes Thu 24-Apr-14 20:28:36

I'm 10 weeks with #2 and ds is 18 months born by elcs. I was also told that 2 years between births is the ideal time resulting in the lowest rupture risk. However, when I saw the midwife this week and told her we'd waited to ttc to get the two year gap she said the scar is as healed as it's going to be after 1 year. So we needn't have waited

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now