Post C-Sectioneers - HONESTLY how long did you keep your TEDs on?

(52 Posts)
ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:31:47

anti blood clot stockings -
supposed to wear for 6 weeks after the op,
honestly - how long could you be bothered? I'm up to 4 weeks now and getting heartily sick of them

pombal Wed 23-Apr-14 15:36:53

I wasn't given them post op. I've had 2 sections.

If you are up and active, I think you can ditch.

colleysmill Wed 23-Apr-14 15:39:25

6 weeks???? I thought I was told a week at my hospital!!!

They lasted a day - I'd been discharged at 5 days post section - so 6 days in total. I would say though once I got over the complications I was kept in for I was as active as before (except running) and felt marvellous and was walking to the park/shops etc as normal

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:40:46

is there a link anywhere for the number of PN patients who get a clot 4/5/6 weeks after surgery?

I am active but there must be a reason they advise 6 weeks
I want rid of them but I am scared to bin them hmm grin

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:42:37

on my notes it said I was a moderate risk for a post surgical clot - is this a standard risk for all csections? as it is pelvic surgery and this riskier for clots in legs?

I am normal BMI / non smoker/ active etc although I did have HG in pg

ditsygal Wed 23-Apr-14 15:44:45

I had a C-section, only had to wear the stockings in hospital, so less then 2 days. Maybe it depends risk levels of clotting, based on what though I don't know...

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:45:20

colley
did you have clexane injections for a week too? I had 7 days worth, all post c-s on the ward had them we had to be trained to give them to ourselves, in the stomach <gak> <vileness>

BintyMcBintington Wed 23-Apr-14 15:46:13

Err a few days. I certainly was never told 6 weeks!

I hated them.

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:47:29

oh my gawd.
so either I am a weird clot risk or my hosp was shit-hot on anti clotting???

TheBookofRuth Wed 23-Apr-14 15:49:43

I wasn't given them, but I did have to give myself blood thinner injections in the stomach for six weeks. My mum had a thrombosis when she had me so I was at increased risk.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 23-Apr-14 15:50:41

are you sure they said six weeks? I thought six days

colleysmill Wed 23-Apr-14 15:51:28

They gave me 10 days worth of clexane to take home but day 9 post section the community midwife said I could stop as I was bouncing round the house.

After my first section which was an emergency one I kept them on longer I think but then I could barely get up and down the stairs and was in a lot more pain for weeks after. My elective section was a much pleasenter experience and once home you couldn't tell I'd had surgery days before hand smile

Jojay Wed 23-Apr-14 15:51:33

I can't remember exactly, but only a few days. Definitely nowhere near 6 wks!

moneyone Wed 23-Apr-14 15:54:59

The midwife removed them on day 2, iirc. Def while I was in hospital, and was only in for 3 days.

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 15:55:53

wow. some variations in pn instructions!

just googled, can't find anything, just some swedish model with lots of factors I don't understand
yep def 6 weeks for the teds - I asked about 4 different MW in disbelief while I was in!

Andcake Wed 23-Apr-14 16:00:15

taken off as I dressed to leave hospital. No one mentioned keeping them on longer. Hospital if it matters UCH london

elliejjtiny Wed 23-Apr-14 16:29:45

I was told 6 weeks, and had the clexane injections for 6 weeks too. I kept them on for the full 6 weeks but I left them off for a bit after I'd had a bath. I hated them and didn't see the point as I was walking around loads as soon as my catheter was out.

Tea1Sugar Wed 23-Apr-14 16:39:12

I'm day 8 post section. I had a weeks worth of fragmin jabs in my arm. I wore the stockings continuously for the week and now mw said wear them in bed only for two weeks.

Hopefully Wed 23-Apr-14 16:50:15

Two days! Asked the MW when I went for a shower if I needed them back on afterwards and she said no. I was low risk for clotting though - 2nd ELCS. Can't remember how long I wore them for after first, but I'm sure they were off before I left hosp after three days.

theborrower Wed 23-Apr-14 16:51:49

I'm another one who didn't get any confused
I had injections while I was in hospital though.
Maybe check with your midwife / health visitor?

Familyguyfan Wed 23-Apr-14 16:58:27

I had the anti - clotting injections for 7 days after I left hospital (was in 2 nights after EMCS). I asked my local midwife on her firsr visit (so day 3) how long I had to wear the socks. She said as I was up and about, recovering really well and having the injections I could stop wearing them. So I did and I was fine.

If I had worn them for 4 weeks, the itching would have driven me mad!

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 23-Apr-14 17:17:24

will ask gp next week, the hv just agrees the 6 weeks, suppose they don't want the blame if I get a clot

littlegreengloworm Wed 23-Apr-14 17:20:32

I wore them for six days. I wasnt told to wear them after that. I also did injections for seven days.

beccajoh Wed 23-Apr-14 17:22:37

Six weeks. I had Clexane for 7 days.

PumpkinPie2013 Wed 23-Apr-14 17:35:23

I was told a couple of days and had only 3 days of clexane hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now