really want a waterbirth but not allowed one

(10 Posts)
elliejjtiny Tue 22-Apr-14 13:16:53

I'm 29 weeks pregnant with DC5. Oldest was a waterbirth at home, middle 2 were natural but dry land births in hospital and youngest was a C-section. I really want a waterbirth this time but the registrar said no because it's a vbac and I will need to be on the monitor which isn't waterproof.

What's the best way of using water in labour while being attached to a monitor? With DS3 the midwife took pity on me (wasn't allowed a waterbirth then because of PROM and brought me a washing up bowl of water to soak my feet in and we put my favourite bubble bath in there too. I'm planning on asking for that again but really hoping for a bit more water than that. I'm planning on staying at home for as long as possible and using the bath although I'm worried I won't be able to do that as with DS3 I spent the whole of early labour on the antenatal ward because I was supposed to be induced (although by the time there was a bed on labour ward I'd got to 5cm dilated on my own).

TheScience Tue 22-Apr-14 13:22:47

Do you absolutely have to be continuously monitored, or can they use a hand held monitor for the heartbeat?

cakeymccakington Tue 22-Apr-14 13:26:27

You know you can decline the monitoring if you want?
Hcps can advise, that is all.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Tue 22-Apr-14 13:27:05

Well, the first thing I was going to say is to bear in mind that it is your decision.

Whether to allow you to use the pool is their decision, as it is hospital equipment. But you could choose a home VBAC. Or you could refuse to be continuously monitored. It might be that neither of those things is a good choice (for any number of reasons you would want to discuss with your mw/consultant). But knowing that it is a choice you are making can be quite empowering.

Assuming you go to hospital and agree to continuous monitoring generally, I would suggest discussing in advance the idea of periods off the monitor where you can go for a shower or take a bath. In many cases, being monitored generally and a few minutes off every once in a while is perfectly 'good enough' for monitoring. It's just harder work for the staff.

PicandMinx Tue 22-Apr-14 13:32:28

The registrar may offer an opinion, but ultimately it is your choice. You do not have to accept CFM. You have a right to ask for the birth of your choice. It's up to your hospital to provide it.

Don't they have telemetry monitoring? Wireless CTG so it's waterproof. I agree that HCPs can only advise. Contact a Supervisor of Midwives at your NHS Trust to discuss options with them.

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Tue 22-Apr-14 13:43:22

They can only advise on monitoring.

They can, however, say you don't meet their criteria for using the pool as it is their equipment. There is no rule that it is 'up to the hospital' to provide the birth environment of your choice. Your rights are negative (to refuse things) not positive (to demand the pool).

elliejjtiny Tue 22-Apr-14 16:14:37

Thanks everyone. A break from the monitor to have a shower/bath sounds like a good compromise. I know I can refuse CTG monitoring but wasn't that confidant in refusing it without all the facts as I've never had a vbac before and I'm not sure why they want me to have the CTG. If it picks up warning signs of scar rupture then it's probably a good idea to keep it on but if I'm going to feel it rupturing before or at the same time as the monitor picks it up then I don't see the point of it. I think a chat with the supervisor of midwives would be a good idea.

RedToothBrush Tue 22-Apr-14 17:03:18

I would have thought that although it is a VBAC the fact that you have proven ability to birth via VB would actually stand in your favour and make you less in need of monitoring that a woman who hadn't this history. I think you should definitely explore this and ask a few questions along those lines with the supervisor.

theborrower Tue 22-Apr-14 20:58:25

I'm aiming for a VBAC - the consultant said I will be continuously monitored but can use a telemetry monitor - these enable you to stay very mobile and I can even use a pool if I like, which I was pleasantly surprised at. Can you ask about these?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now