HELP! Advice/experiences needed. Worried DC2 hasn't dropped at 37wks - Obst wants me to birth by 39wks latest

(8 Posts)
TheRealGabster Tue 22-Apr-14 11:28:37

So, the facts are I am 37 weeks. Because I am 42yrs hospital don't want me to go to/past 39 weeks. DC1 was born EmCS because although I went into spontaneous labour, his head was too big to get into my pelvis/birth canal and so never engaged (bless him, still has a big head, lol). This baby has a smallish head (had scan few weeks ago) and I really want to VBAC. Everyone keeps saying she will only drop into my pelvis at the last minute because its my second baby, but is that still true when the first never "cleared the way" as it were? ANybody else been in this position? How did it turn out for you?

At the moment the baby is still really high and shows no sign of wanting to come out. Fair enough, I hear you say, it's only 37 weeks. But they want to start the ball rolling with sweeps and possible induction next week, with the threat of the dreaded CS if still no luck.

Any advice greatly received!!

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 22-Apr-14 17:49:35

Not been in your position but I have heard that done babies, particularly after the first don't engage until labour starts so maybe yours will be like that?

You don't have to have a sweep if you don't want to so could refuse that (and induction for that matter as they can't force you!)

You could ask for extra monitoring instead of sweeps/induction to give you a chance of going into labour naturally?

If it comes to the worst would you rather induction or an elcs? You could ask for an elcs if you don't start to labour on your own?

Good luck with your birth and new baby x

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 22-Apr-14 17:50:27

Done should read some!! Sorry x

mercibucket Tue 22-Apr-14 18:04:21

you can also request daily monitoring past 39 weeks instead, just to check you know

i also had emcs and the second/subsequent babies did not descend til pretty much labour started but i was 'overdue' with both. it isnt really 'overdue' at 40 weeks so chances of spontaneous labour at 39 weeks are not fantastically high, although of course not uncommon either.

would you prefer sweep then cs if it doesnt work, or more intervention? i would start thinking in terms of how much intervention you want before moving to csection, as well as your views on planned c section vs active daily monitoring

Martorana Tue 22-Apr-14 18:07:04

Why don't they want you to go past 39 weeks? Is there an issue with your blood pressure or the placenta or anything?

TheRealGabster Wed 23-Apr-14 14:20:33

Thanks Mercibucket, that is all helpful. It's good to know your DC2 etc did not descend until labour.

I know it's my choice, I just can't decide how much intervention to take I suppose. I would love to just stick with the sweep as the whole thought of induction seems wrong to me and I suspect once I go down that road, it will probably end in EMCS - no turning back.

The Obst has said they will use gel and if that gives no joy they will break my waters. Not relishing the thought of that!

Martorana - because of my age, the risk of still born doubles when you get to 39 weeks. It's a solid statistic but then at the end of the day it's all statistics. I feel very torn between the Obstr's view (this one) and the midwives who are a bit more "why have your baby before it's due". confused

Martorana Wed 23-Apr-14 14:58:06

I had ds when I was 43. I was determined not to have him early unless it was actually necessary, (there were no indications of problems) so I was monitored every couple of days from 38 weeks, then daily from 40. He was born after a "natural" labour at 40+5.

TheRealGabster Thu 24-Apr-14 20:31:21

Thanks Martorana, that makes three people who have mentioned regular monitoring as an option. It's a great idea and I am told apparently one which isn't openly offered because of the expense to the NHS. It seems much more sensible idea though and I think that's the route I'm going to opt for. Thank you! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now