Considering water birth with first baby but don't know anyone to ask about it, help?

(14 Posts)
Waitinggame8 Sun 20-Apr-14 22:20:00

Hi
As I said expecting baby number 1 in just under 8 weeks and so the birth plan is now imminent and I'm not sure what to do.
Originally had no intention of a water birth but as I've got further into my pregnancy I'm thinking it might be more comfortable than some of the other options.
Problem is I don't know anyone who has had one or even planned to have one so I'm looking for some experiences from people who have to help me decide.
Can anyone give me first hand feedback on their experiences if you have had a water birth please?
Happy Easter and Thanks in advance. smile

ChazzerChaser Sun 20-Apr-14 22:21:50

I spent some time in water. Didn't actually give birth there. But I don't remember much. Was like a little hot tub in size. Could move around fair amount. What are you wanting to know?

I had a water birth with DS and it was great (within the context of labour and birth, obviously, so not enjoyable!)

I loved the freedom to move as I felt comfortable, relative privacy, lack of examinations, hands off midwives, and the fact I was the first person to pick DS up from the water. In fact nobody else got a look in for about 20 minutes.

It will limit your pain relief options, so no epidural, and I think you have to be low risk but I would say give it a go if you can. I am due with DC2 now and I am hoping for another water birth.

ODearMe Sun 20-Apr-14 22:39:52

Hello, I gave birth in water.

I did not plan for it, there was a pool available when I turned up in labour so I went with the flow! grin

It was a very positive experience, I think the warmth of the water certainly helped to ease the pain and i believe it was beneficial to have been sat up to aid gravity and speed things along! There were also bars to reach forward and grab hold of during contractions which were useful. My husband was rubbing oils into my back to ease contractions.

The birth pool itself also afforded a greater degree of privacy which i think might have helped me to relax too.

It was a fantastic experience and i would definitely recommend it if you can have a water birth. I did not feel unsafe or out of control at any moment during my labour, it was v relaxing and chilled. My friends who did not have a water birth mostly had tough labours, so I am not sure if I was lucky, or if the water did in fact help. Got to be worth a go! Good luck, hope you have a positive experience too. smile

Incacola Sun 20-Apr-14 22:42:02

I had a water birth with our dd and can't recommend it highly enough. As has already been said, it is supportive and gives you a freedom of movement which you wouldn't have on land. I didn't want to sit or lie down for any of my labour once it had got going so being able to kneel and lean forward in the support of the water was great. I do remember my knees getting a bit sore though!

BeeInYourBonnet Sun 20-Apr-14 22:45:12

I had a water birth and really recommend it. Helped loads with the pain ( only needed a bit of G&A). Biggest plus was the freedom of movement.
Go for it if you get the opportunity.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 21-Apr-14 14:03:02

I had a water birth with DS1, which was a very positive experience. If you are the sort of person who loves to get into a warm bath it will be a similarly calming experience for you. I wanted the same again for DS 2 but he popped out just as they were turning the taps on! It doesn't take away the pain, but I think it helps, and it all felt sort of natural somehow. (I am no old hippy but it felt right).

Waitinggame8 Mon 21-Apr-14 17:53:37

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback.
I think you have helped me decide that this is what I want, so hopefully they are not all busy when I go into Labour!
Lovely to hear it was a positive experience for everyone - well when they managed to fill the bath in time for you wink.
Thanks again.

bakingtins Mon 21-Apr-14 19:50:40

I had a water birth with ds1 and it was a very positive experience. I also used Natal Hypnotherapy which I believe helped massively. MW was initially reluctant to let me in the pool as she didn't think I could be in established labour, but was 9cm when she checked! The water is very soothing and you can use G&A at the same time if you want to. Some women prefer to get out to actually deliver, there was no way I was moving once I was in there!
Would have had one for DS2 given the chance but he arrived within 10 mins of us reaching hospital....

ChazzerChaser Mon 21-Apr-14 19:54:03

Re them being busy, I was in contact with the head of the labour ward for various reasons and she told me it's very very rare for them all to be full. They have 4 I think at my hospital. She said most women come in wanting epidurals which they can't have if in water so they are very rarely all full.

CuteLittleToes Mon 21-Apr-14 20:01:20

I'd say go for it - if you don't like it you can always get out!

SweepTheHalls Mon 21-Apr-14 20:02:20

It was wonderful, would definitely plan another one smile

puddock Mon 21-Apr-14 20:07:17

Another one who had a water birth (in a birth centre) first time round. All the things Gozo and others have said - privacy, calm, a sense of my own zone, helped with pain and moving around - I really recommend it if it feels right to you.
There's a good summary here. Good luck with your birth!

Spirael Tue 22-Apr-14 08:59:21

I had a home water birth the first time around and loved it. I felt safe and comfortable in the birthing pool, it was my own little space and no-one could interfere unless I wanted them too. It helped massively with the pain, I really noticed the difference when the midwife briefly made me hop out for checks!

DD1 was born in the water. It was calm and controlled, then I just gently lifted her out myself. She took her first breath once she reached the air and we then had cuddles while I sat in the water for some time afterwards. I suspect keeping her body submerged as we snuggled for the skin on skin time helped her make the transition from womb to world a bit easier.

Hoping for similar this time around. smile (3-8 weeks, eek!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now