Just returned home from hospital after the second attempt to give me a sweep (first was last Wednesday). They were unable to do it as my cervix was tightly closed, long etc - exactly the same as it was last week.
I am desperate to avoid an induction - particularly as the registrar last week seemed to suggested that it was likely to end in a c section given how unfavourable my cervix was. They are offering me the option to be induced or to have a planned c section in the next few days, and I'm not sure what I should do.
I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has found themselves in this situation and successfully went into spontaneous labour.
This is my second pregnancy (lost my first baby at 13 weeks) and I am almost 40 - so I realise the risks do increase now.
Part of me is happy to wait until my body and baby are ready but I am really worried about the stillbirth risk increase too.
Hi, I am 40+5. I have also had 2 sweeps, the first one my cervix was closed but it was thinning, and the second one which was on Wednesday, it was still closed nearly a week after. I have an inducing date on the 25th April and really do not want to have to be induced I am patiently waiting on going into labor but I do not think that it will be happening anytime soon, I certainly think I will have to be induced. A couple of nights ago I was having bad cramps after my sweep but they went away the next day. These babies are not going to come unless they want to come
No spontaneous labour here, but cervix high, hard and closed so mw decided against the sweep. Booked it for induction, pill in the evening, light cramps overnight( period like), DS born late morning, labour ok.
I was actually going to start the thread asking why there are so many horror stories about induced labours- was I so extremely lucky to have a good one?
I had an attempted sweep yesterday and got the same result.
In my case though I'm delighted to be getting induced tonight as I was induced in the same circumstances last time and it took 12 hours and 6 minutes with no intervention so it doesn't mean a long drawn out ordeal or section by any means.
Like BaldHedgehog I often wonder how come there are so many induction horror stories as I don't know anyone that had a terrible experience, not even those induced early (like me and several friends) with unfavourable cervixes. Obviously everyone is different, but when asked for their experiences at least as many positive stories appear if not more than negative ones!
I saw my consultant today, who tried for the 3rd time to give me a sweep. Still unfavourable . Baby's head is also not very engaged at 3/5ths and also has quite a big head! Its also already looking like a 9lb+ baby. All that, plus the fact I am now term plus 11 and on my first baby has led her to suggest that I have a planned C-section later this week, as she feels its very unlikely that an induction would lead to a vaginal birth.
I am seeing her again tomorrow to confirm my decision but I think I should probably accept that the safest way for this baby to arrive is via a planned c-section. A real shame after all my hopes and prep for a water birth, but life is full of surprises.