How to cope with slow start to labour

(10 Posts)
Catabelle Wed 16-Apr-14 04:33:15

hi, I've not posted on here much before but wondered if anyone could help...
I'm 40+6 now with dc2 and seem to be having a slow start to things. Contractions started on monday eve and continued through the night fairly irregularly but some as often ad every 10 mins until about 4:30 in the morning when they died off. I barely got any sleep but rested in bed as it didn't feel like active labour. They started up again last night and have been really painful and about every 15 to 20 mins since 8pm and still continuing now so I've had no sleep again sad. The thing is I don't know if I'm doing the right thing trying to rest and sleep or whether I should be moving round. I had a long 36 hour labour with my first where i kept on the move and really stuggled with the exhaustion and didn't want this one to go the same way. Has anyone got any words of wisdom that might help or keep me feeling positive?!

123mumma Wed 16-Apr-14 08:56:52

Aw bless you, sounds awful. Just when you want things to happen. My friend had similar labour she rested when she could, as she always said baby will come when it wants too.wish I could be more helpful but don't know what to say just wanted to wish you luck. You sound like your doing amazingly well, and it will be so worth it when you have your baby xxx

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Wed 16-Apr-14 09:34:03

I had a very long latent phase with my first and agree with you - I wore myself out far too early by trying to 'get things going'. I would rest when you can. I'm assuming if it is DC2 you are doing plenty of moving about during the day anyway.

Hope things get moving properly soon.

On the positive side, a lot of midwifes say that when second/subsequent babies niggle like this for a long time, they often go very fast when they get going. Just don't miss the signs that it's upping a gear!

Catabelle Wed 16-Apr-14 12:15:54

Thanks guys smile, you've made me feel more positive. Just going to try and hang in there and rest when I can. I did try going for a sleep this morning after everything calmed down but as soon as I lay down the contractions kicked off again, so annoying. I've decided to take to the sofa for the rest of the day as I seem to be able to doze off for a bit watching the telly. That will only be until my 3.5 year old ds gets home from nursery! I'll keep my fingers crossed that things move fast once they get going!

Misty9 Wed 16-Apr-14 20:29:09

Oh you poor thing. I'm 40+7 with dc2 and have had enough of the stop start niggles, let alone proper contractions. I hope something has developed by now, but if not I'd definitely advocate resting and conserving your energy for the real deal. Hopefully we'll both be holding our babies soon smile

Catabelle Sun 20-Apr-14 03:29:19

So my little man arrived on 16th at 10:56pm! I had on off contractions during the day and then at about 3pm the midwife came for a home visit and did a sweep. By 5:30 when my husband and DS got home contractions started coming every 5 mins and carried on that way. I was having a planned homebirth so husband eventually called the midwives who came at 8pm and I delivered at home later that night! It all happened so quickly in the end. Now I'm in the midst of sleepless nights and endless feeding but couldn't be happier smile. Any news for you Misty?

MrsHoolie Sun 20-Apr-14 08:39:45

Congratulations!

PenguinsLoveFishFingers Sun 20-Apr-14 08:48:53

Congratulations!

Misty9 Sun 20-Apr-14 11:10:21

Congratulations! Sounds like it went beautifully smile
I too had my dd, on the 18th at home as planned. Now dealing with nips being on fire! Enjoy the snuggles

Catabelle Sun 20-Apr-14 11:44:03

Excellent news! Congratulations! We got there in the end smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now