Did you have a mantra during labour?

(48 Posts)
EasyCompadre Mon 14-Apr-14 08:00:34

My first experience of childbirth is looming imminently, and after reading the fantastic thread about mantras that get you through life, I was wondering if anyone had any specific mantras that helped them through contractions and labour in general? Anything that you would say to yourself over and over that helped to get through it, or had someone else say to you to remind you that you could do it when the going got tough?

EasyCompadre Mon 14-Apr-14 19:27:57

Fantastic, I can see how counting would work well. So a 40 second (slow?) count is about the length of a contraction, that's good to know, I'll get practicing.

I like "Don't panic, you can do this", "that's one closer to meeting our baby", "it'll be over soon", "this won't last forever", "don't fight it, just go with it", and "I'm not going die"... Hopefully some of those will come to me and help me through it at the opportune moment, eek!!

ParkingFred Mon 14-Apr-14 19:35:12

Not a mantra, but the midwife I met at my first hospital check up told me that the best labours are usually the ones where women don't scream, wail and panic, but stay quiet, calm and focussed.

Some might disagree, but I found it good advice.

LizzieMint Mon 14-Apr-14 19:40:42

In my very limited experience, I'd agree with that, Fred. I was calm and fairly relaxed through all of mine, no screaming, shouting or swearing. And they all went very quickly and smoothly. Until the mooing for the pushing stage of course but I think that's pretty standard!

scrivette Mon 14-Apr-14 19:40:59

I told DH to remind me to keep breathing and kept concentrating on my breathing. I was in my own little world concentrating on breathing in and out slowly. (Also biting on the gas and air tube helped!)

VinoTime Mon 14-Apr-14 19:52:20

I just cried a lot and spent a long time repeatedly telling the lovely male anesthetist sorting out my epidural how much I wanted to marry him thankful I was to him grin

catnisseverdeen Mon 14-Apr-14 19:59:33

I counted to ten over and over like some deranged lunatic..FOR 9 HOURS SOLID! bet the midwife loved me.

After 9 hours I paused long enough to tell the anaethetist I needed the epidural because no other woman had experienced pain this bad grin grin to which him and the midwife burst out laughing I then gave a very loud talk to my mortified husband that it was rude of health care professionals to laugh at a potentially dying woman...Bet I was a little ray of sunshine.

I've heard a lot of people sing to the baby op but Counting did really help me smile

congratulations and good luck smile

Savoytruffle Mon 14-Apr-14 20:06:13

The line in 'the universal' by Blur
'Come on, come on, get through it'...!
(In fact i can see myself singing this rocking madly on a birth ball)

And, billions of women have done this before me...

weebairn Mon 14-Apr-14 20:35:08

I counted through all of them. Labour was 30 hours long!

I found the few hours of transition very hard but the rest was ok (including the pushing though I was shattered by then). Lots and lots of counting. DP reminded me to keep breathing all the time which sounds like it would be annoying but wasn't - really helpful. Also to relax my jaw (relaxed mouth apparently = more relaxed cervix - when it's full on it's really tempting to clench your jaw though). So every contraction we would do that: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc, breathe in, breathe out, relax your jaw, you're doing amazing. Poor lad was pretty shattered by the end too!

Had a straightforward delivery on my own sofa at home, for all the length of it.

weebairn Mon 14-Apr-14 20:36:23

I struggled at times but didn't ever panic. I can totally see how panic would make it hurt more. Not sure there is a solution if you're scared though I think I found the hypnobirthing cd I listened to a lot beforehand helpful - not really for the pain, but for the panic. I felt very safe throughout. (Had great midwives too)

TeamEdward Mon 14-Apr-14 20:48:47

With DS1 it was very much a "Get it out. Get it out. Get it out." experience for me, until (after 39 hours of labour) I was wheeled into theatre and my mantra changed to "Please let everything be alright. Please let everything be alright".

My labour with DS2 was only 7 hours, so I didn't really have time to discover a mantra! I did try "Drugs please. Drugs please. Drugs please." but the midwives had their own mantra - "Too late! Too late! Too late!"

mymatemax Mon 14-Apr-14 20:51:41

get out
get out
get out

ParkingFred Mon 14-Apr-14 20:56:48

My friend grabbed her midwife by her uniform, pulled her down until they were face to face and then yelled, 'cut it OUT!!'

Not useful, but funny afterwards.

Lanabelle Mon 14-Apr-14 21:02:50

not really a mantra, just remind myself I've come this far and not long now till its all over and worth it. a bit rubbish really compared to some of the ones above but that's what was in my head. All the best with your impending birth

ToffeeWhirl Mon 14-Apr-14 21:07:40

I just said "No, no, no" over and over again during each contraction.

I did the whole thing without any pain relief, so it must have worked.

kerrits Mon 14-Apr-14 21:08:02

Not a mantra but with all of mine I found rocking rhythmically and humming helped ( a bit)

sittingatmydeskagain Mon 14-Apr-14 22:16:34

Epidural, epidural...

Rosalie82 Tue 15-Apr-14 04:34:52

I am pain relief all the way this time round!

Want2bSupermum Tue 15-Apr-14 04:52:25

just breathe..... just breathe....

I was in labor for 22 hours with nothing going on. Got to 5cm and had a CS. I was given pitocin for 6 hours at full blast as a last attempt to get DD out of me. The little madam refused to budge. Interestingly she continues to be a little madam.

Sid77 Tue 15-Apr-14 05:01:10

I remember reading before my first labour, that contractions are the only time you experience pain that's not as a result of a problem - illness, wound, etc. so although very painful, they are not in themselves, harming you. I kept that in mind along with the knowledge that that very specific pain would stop as soon as the contraction did. Good luck OP!

MasterFlea Tue 15-Apr-14 06:11:55

Mine were a bit more lentil-weavery but helped me through it.
Like 'My body knows what to do', 'I'm going to be meeting my baby soon' 'I am strong and capable, I can do this'
Counting and deep breathing through each contraction. Counted up to the peak of the contraction and imagine it slipping away as it was fading.

YY to the rocking and humming. I did that too.

I'm going to do the same again for the next labour.

SweetPeaPods Tue 15-Apr-14 06:14:29

Concentrating on my breathing really helped me. Just reminding myself it was 1 contraction down, I was going to meet baby soon, and that I could do it. My mum had 4 so I was constantly saying to myself if she can I can. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Durdurkubby Tue 15-Apr-14 12:50:59

These may/may not help but pick anything that makes sense to you!

Labour pain is good pain!
My body knows what to do
I trust my body
I am in control
This won't last forever

Every contraction and pain is a step closer to your baby so any variation on that thought... Once a contraction finished... it is gone and you'll never feel it again onwards onwards onwards!

Best tip... Keep control of your breathing and count. I counted throughout labour and it forced me to stay calm/focused and I also knew that by number 7 or 8 that a contraction would end and the worst was over. It's all about getting your head into the zone and staying calm. Good luck!

CorporateRockWhore Tue 15-Apr-14 12:54:10

My friend spent her whole labour going 'I don't want to shit! I don't want to shit!'

Which was probably not very helpful, but still extremely funny.

<PS; I don't know if she did in the end. Probably.>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now