Still in pain 9 weeks after birth

(8 Posts)
Doodlepoll Fri 04-Apr-14 11:37:15

Just that, really! I had a second degree tear which was stitched and I still experience a lot of soreness if I walk/am generally active for more than an hour or two. Is this normal? Did you experience anything similar? Any advice?

Thanks!

oscarwilde Fri 04-Apr-14 13:07:13

Sadly it was normal for me. It was 12 weeks before I could sit comfortably and about 16 before I could really walk more than a mile without spending two days in jogging bottoms.

Had some internal stitches 2nd degree too but nothing too dramatic (or so I was led to believe) and severe internal bruising and swelling due to the forceps I guess but I bruise easily anyway.

Regular use of ibuprofen helps and lots of short walks, plus comfy trousers.

Chipandspuds Fri 04-Apr-14 13:16:31

I had a second degree tear, but it wasn't painful or sore (just had to sit on a cushion for extra softness for the first week or so). It's probably worth asking your GP if they can check you've healed up as you should so that you can put your mind at ease, I guess sometimes people can heal at different rates?

oscarwilde Fri 04-Apr-14 15:34:10

My female GP told me at my six week check to come back by week 16 if I was still having trouble. She raised her eyes in a way when I said that the obstetrician who stitched me up cited a few weeks to recover in a manner that said, "gobshite clueless man, if I had a pound for every woman I've had to reassure..."

People definitely heal at different rates. I'm generally a quick healer (apart from easily bruising) so I was shock at how much discomfort I was in and for how long. I'd go for an ELCS if there was a next time in preference to a second vbac.

Oh - I got some lightweight looser fit chinos from Fatface/Gap to wear instead of jeans and that helped quite a bit too.

Doodlepoll Fri 04-Apr-14 16:45:46

Thank you so much, it's reassuring to hear that other people have experienced the same thing. I had my six week check but my GP didn't even examine me. Think will definitely make another appointment just to check it all out, and increase my ibuprofen intake!

oscarwilde Fri 04-Apr-14 17:29:45

Me neither - I don't know anyone who's had a physical exam as part of their 6 week check other than to check a C-Section scar is healing nicely. confused

emmac3616 Sun 06-Apr-14 14:39:43

I am 15wks post partum and still have quite a lot of discomfort, especially when doing my no.2s and sitting for long periods. My coccyx is very painful but the whole area just feels wrong. I had an episiotomy and a ventuse and then forceps delivery and frankly I can only believe those did more internal damage than the external stitches (I had a huge black bruise for weeks afterwards). I went back to my GP at 8wks and she took a brief look and said the stitches had healed but I am worried there is more going on so I am going back next week (16wks). I have private healthcare so will be asking for a gynae referal to get it all checked once and for all (by an expert).

I hope you feel better - its such a shock to have these ongoing problems - maybe I was being naive but I honestly thought that once the labour was over and the stitches had healed I would be 100% back to normal.... turns out that is NOT the case!

ch1134 Sun 06-Apr-14 18:27:28

same here - 11 weeks later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now