Tens Machine- do they work?

(102 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Mon 31-Mar-14 19:37:12

My first labour was LONG and very hard. Baby wasn't back to back but all the pain was in my back and never felt contractions in my tummy (retroverted uterus). So while labour number two might be different, it's likely the pain would be in my back again and I would expect it to be show (labour number one consisted of regular contractions for 72 hours, no sleep for that long and agonising unbearable pain).
Should I try a TENS next time?

Iswallowedawatermelon Fri 23-May-14 22:01:03

I found it useless tbh.

SophiaLiam Fri 23-May-14 01:48:35

Does using a tens affect an epidural at all? Or can it replace an epidural? I'm no expert on pregnancy, so I have no idea.

Sophia Liam | www.bio-niccontrol.com.au

Jynxed Sun 06-Apr-14 22:17:01

I hated it. Labour was bad enough without electric shocks added in!

LG574 Sun 06-Apr-14 21:59:36

Try lloyds pharmacy, I got my Tens machine from there 3 yrs ago. Think it was about £25. It definitely helped me get through a very long back labour after induction. sad sad

Sharaluck Sun 06-Apr-14 12:05:16

Just to add I have fast labours/births. So that might be why.

Sharaluck Sun 06-Apr-14 12:04:08

No. Annoyed me and didn't relieve pain. Waste of money.

cakelover75 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:00:55

Another 'yes' from me. Used them during both my labours and agree with others who said that it's a good distraction for you.

When we were shown how to use them at an ante-natal class in my local maternity unit, the physio warned us to be careful with them as "someone's husband was admitted to casualty while his wife was in labour as he put the pads on his eyeballs". grin Bet his wife was dead pleased with him...

Chunderella Sat 05-Apr-14 23:14:47

Birth hurts. Your last one hurt a lot so you know this better than anyone. With that in mind, I don't see the point in ruling anything out unless you have a particular reason to do so- like obviously no epidural if you've a phobia of needles, no waterbirth if you hate baths and so on. I'd say to anyone, give it a go and see what you think. If you hate it, you can stop using it straight away. No real downside.

babynelly2010 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:14:33

It depends, I would recommend using one regardless but it can be a gamble. First time I had long labour about 40 hours and tens machine really helped getting through. Second time labour was very fast, got the tens machine on but it did not have enough time to get to a point where it actually made any difference. With that said if I ever have another baby I will be having epidural but my recommendation to anyone wanting a natural birth to have a tens machine handy.

mameulah Sat 05-Apr-14 22:54:32

I loved mine too. I actually don't know what I would have done without it. I really, really mean that.

I would definitely HIRE one. And check it works before you get there.

ratqueen Sat 05-Apr-14 22:16:52

I didn't really get tens, but trying it out before I was in full blown labour and desperate would probably have helped. I found it annoying and just wanted to get it off. I loved gas and air!

Jaffakake Sat 05-Apr-14 20:26:45

It's worth a go, but I hated it. To me it was like someone poking you in the shoulder & saying oi, oi, oi all the time. No idea why, but my contractions were remarkably painful and labour took about 5 days with a c-section at the end, so maybe I'm just weird!

DitaVonCreamTeas Sat 05-Apr-14 18:46:54

Brilliant for the early stages, but as others have said make sure you start using it early on and have a practise beforehand. I rented mine from Mothercare.

spiderlight Sat 05-Apr-14 18:35:05

Mine worked - partly as a distraction, I think, but I definitely missed it when I had to take it off to get in the pool.

ParanoidLucy Sat 05-Apr-14 08:43:06

Its good at the beginning. I had an epidural with DD and couldn't then work out what the rhythmic buzzing noise was smile.

CleanAllTheThings Sat 05-Apr-14 07:56:38

I got to 8cm at home with just tens. It was great until the pads started coming unstuck and then it was just really irritating. I would use it again.

Cherryjellybean Sat 05-Apr-14 05:24:23

I tried one at the hospital and it made me very panicky as I didn't like the sensation. I couldn't get it off quick enough!
It seems to have helped lots of people on this thread, its certainly worth a try!

DakotaFanny Fri 04-Apr-14 21:54:00

Yes yes yes. I had one for second dc and, at times, questioned whether it was really working, what with that labour malarkey smarting a little bit. Then a pad would fall off and I'd be like "Holy mother of God get it back on"- definitely works. Would never do it without one again. You do have to get it on early though.

Got mine from Lloyds pharmacy.

Catsize Fri 04-Apr-14 21:15:46

Loved mine. Both labours. Used during induction from hell and two years later for lovely homebirth. Re:homebirth, partner said she had changed the batteries before I used it. They ran out at the eleventh hour. Later confessed she had changed the batteries, but not for new ones. confused

No, mine was no help with first labour. Went without second time and didn't miss it at all

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Fri 04-Apr-14 19:22:45

Mine definitely helped, even more so when the mw in hospital put the pads in the right places! Get her to mark on your back in sharpie at your last appt! DH had a good guess using the diagram, but we were a bit off. Still a good distraction overnight though smile

I hired mine, with no hassle. They send new pads/leads & batteries in the box, so all clean & nice!

hugoagogo Fri 04-Apr-14 18:20:44

Not for me; it just annoyed me too.

Schmedz Fri 04-Apr-14 16:30:20

Wish I had used for first DC as SOOOOOOOOO much better than gas and air - ended up with epidural for the first (which was absolutely brilliant but I am a bit scared of needles so didn't want to repeat for baby no. 2)

Used the TENS for second labour and it was fabulous. Obviously doesn't completely get rid of the pain like the epidural did, but it was completely bearable all the way through.

Go for it - if it doesn't provide the pain relief you need, there are always other options at the time. Given that your body will actually decide what happens during your labour (and not the pointless and ridiculous birth plan) you can't predict what will and won't work.

bakingtins Fri 04-Apr-14 15:30:20

Another vote for yes. Got me to 10 cm both times.

It seems to be a marmite thing though, I have friends who hated it, but def worth a try. You can buy one for similar cost to hiring one and flog it on eBay if you don't get on with it.

SarniaCherie Fri 04-Apr-14 15:23:46

Loved mine, used it in both labours. gas and air makes me throw up so the TENS was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now