Was I right to refuse induction for a turned breech baby? Hand holding needed...

(8 Posts)
milakamiza Sun 30-Mar-14 22:39:31

I am currently at 38+3 weeks with DC2 who has been in a persistent breech presentation since forever. The ELCS was scheduled for tomorrow (private care). However, the last minute ultrasound position check this evening showed that the baby has turned to cephalic presentation (cue in fear, surprise shock ). I don't know when it turned: simply did not feel any big movements.

I was offered immediate induction instead of ELCS because the baby may as well turn back to breech or stay in the unstable presentation. I refused, opting for the wait'and'see, trial of labor approach because 1) still very early for induction for no immediate reason IMHO 2) induction that early may take a long time, not work, result in further interventions, epidural, or EMCS and the like - so I don't "win" anything by it 3) DC1 was a fairly straightforward and easy VB.

Now I am wondering if I made a good choice? ELCS (though not a fan) would have had its own good points - can plan dates, fanjo safe, no pain, etc, etc. But I don't see anything to be gained from such an early induction, except maybe avoidance of a theoretical crash CS should the baby turn breech again and then I have a super fast labor. The doctor seemed to think that the risk of baby turning again is not small.

I am around 1 cm dilated but no major BH or other labour signs. I just need some hand holding and wine and cake.

wispaxmas Sun 30-Mar-14 22:44:29

I'd have done the same thing in your shoes. If baby has turned cephalic now I don't understand why they believe it will turn again. And offering an early induction sounds overly cautious. Perhaps as a safety measure ask for a rescan in a week or on your due date and if baby has gone breech again just have the section.

I think I'd rather a section over an induction, but then I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me there.

WaitingAndSpinning Sun 30-Mar-14 22:45:22

I think everything you have said makes sense, your reasons for not wanting interventions are sound. There may be a risk of the baby turning but every chance they will not and, as it seems you are aware, any intervention carries a risk of it's own.

It seems counter productive for intervention in a situation where none is required just in case it might be needed later! If that makes sense smile

WaitingAndSpinning Sun 30-Mar-14 22:46:17

I'm another who opted for CS over induction, but only when all natural options had failed very late on.

PicandMinx Sun 30-Mar-14 23:01:57

IMO there is no point of going through all the drama and intervention of an induction that may end with an EMCS anyway. I'd take a section over an induction any day.

Good luck flowers

hazchem Mon 31-Mar-14 02:20:07

No actual experience but my personal feeling is I would wait for a spontaneous start of labour. I would probably spend a fair bit of time making baby stay in the right position. Sitting on birth ball and rotating hips, walking and sitting up not leaning back.

With my devil hat on I'm thinking by the consultants reasoning every baby should be induced when it's in correct position in case it moves.

Poughle Mon 31-Mar-14 02:42:45

You sound like you've thought through the pros and cons.I would make the same decision for sure... My feeling is that intervention should always be a last resort. Baby has turned, clever baby! I hope you have a straightforward natural birth.

badidea Mon 31-Mar-14 08:11:54

I think you're right to wait. This happened to one of my friends, she went in to get him 'turned' at 36 weeks and he was already head down. The following week he turned back to breech...

Her consultant has experience in breech deliveries and so had offered her a vaginal delivery if she wanted it, but she booked for an ELCS. The day before her ELCS, her baby turned head down again. So they cancelled the ELCS, and he was born at week 41, head down, easy peasy birth.

Most babies do turn head down approaching delivery, there is no reason to suspect your baby will be breech again, I'd have made the same decision as you. (my naughty second baby, was head down until week 36, when he turned breech - for a week, then turned head down again at week 37 - was I relieved :-D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now