Aching joints post partum

(11 Posts)
PretzelPrincess Sat 29-Mar-14 19:00:45

I had my DS 3 weeks ago and since then my joints have been stiff and achey. My fingers, toes, hips, back confused everywhere! It's worse when I wake up and during the night it's difficult to pick my DS up and change him etc.
Is this a normal symptom that no one informed of??

rallytog1 Sat 29-Mar-14 21:14:21

Yes! Your joints all go a bit more floppy while you're pregnant (thanks to something aptly named relaxin) - after you have the baby everything can stiffen up a bit. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 11 months after having dd, my knees still aren't back to normal! I recommend pilates to help rebuild your strength and flexibility.

gamerchick Sat 29-Mar-14 21:16:48

your center of gravity changes when you're pregnant and then all of a sudden it changes back. That coupled with the relaxin going round your body it stands to reason it'll feel a bit out of sorts.

Take painkillers. dont do too much and wait it out. If things don't improve then have a chat with your gp.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 29-Mar-14 21:17:14

I'm still breastfeeding at five months so still have the relaxin floating around, and when I get up off the sofa it takes me a minute to straighten up.

I feel much older than my years.

Quodlibet Sat 29-Mar-14 21:19:45

My sister had this diagnosed as a vitamin D deficiency post childbirth. She took supplements and it improved - worth a go?

ReluctantCamper Sat 29-Mar-14 21:20:28

yes, I ached for ages after having DS, ages being over a year. also had to quit crochet as it gave me carpal tunnel syndrome, when I've been doing it for years. Most annoying, but I'm fine now (DS is 3), however am 17 weeks pregnant, so letting myself in for it all again!

FrontForward Sat 29-Mar-14 21:27:32

Depends how severe it is tbh. You can get post partum rheumatoid arthritis. I had post partum thrombocytopenia and bled into my joints which makes me a little reluctant to ignore anyone else's post partum symptoms.

ReluctantCamper Sat 29-Mar-14 21:34:06

yikes front, that sounds awful. Hope things are better now.

KatharineClover Sun 30-Mar-14 17:12:29

My physio said it was the increase estrogen (I think?) during BF that makes you feel like achy like someone going through menopause!

PretzelPrincess Sun 30-Mar-14 21:46:18

Front that is scary! I think I'll get checked out at the docs this week. More than likely just a normal symptom as most of you guys have mentioned but I really am in pain. I thought all the joint pain would go after delivery! Argh!

AFergie Sun 30-Mar-14 22:39:11

I felt like I had been in a very serious car crash after I had my 2nd baby, everything ached for at least 10 days..hang in there OP. Baby is now 3 months old and Im totally recovered xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now