totally ignorant to induction!

(13 Posts)
sofpp83 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:58:29

Someone please give me advice! I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my first and have been told I'll be induced at 38 weeks due to GD and high BP. I was informed first time induced labours are more intense and painful my diabetic midwife. I appreciate her honesty! Also I haven't read anything good about first time inductions. My problem is that I'm worrying so much that something is going to go wrong with my dd. I'm constantly paranoid I'm getting pre eclampsia etc. Would it be safer to elect a cesarean? I'm not afraid of pain as I'm quite aware it is going to hurt. If I go for an induction and the contrsctions start off intense will they give me an epidural or leave me to endure the pain? I want to be as knowledgeable as possible on induction for when it comes to deciding my birth plan. I don't like the thought of recovery time after a cesarean bit well it be less traumatic and uncomplicated for the save arrival of my daughter? Help?

Millie2013 Fri 28-Mar-14 15:35:42

I had an induction at 40 weeks, due to baby's growth slowing off and reduced movements. The pessary didn't do much, so they started me off on the drip and my one regret was not asking for an epidural before the drip, as the contractions were pretty relentless (I also had SPD associated problems and sciatica, which didn't help)

Apart from that, once the epidural was in place (it didn't take long, after I begged for it!), the labour went like a breeze, until right at the end, when baby got stuck. But that was nothing to do with the induction, it was just shit luck! I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, apart from the end bit, it was nothing like as bad as I imagined

sofpp83 Fri 28-Mar-14 16:21:08

Thanks for the reply. I just hear so many horror stories. I would rather have as natural birth as possible, and if I am induced I am definitely making it clear I want a epidural asap as everyone says the contractions come on thick and fast and are quite severe.

ToriaPumpkin Fri 28-Mar-14 16:58:42

I was induced at 39+4 with my first pregnancy due to size and while it was intense it was pretty positive.

I went in with my cervix closed and unfavourable but they gave me the pessary anyway. I started contracting within twenty minutes and DS was born 12 hours later with no intervention.

I had G&A and one dose of morphine as the contractions were thick and fast.

The intensity was worth it though as I only had a ten minute second stage!

Good luck OP.

sofpp83 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:34:16

toriapumpkin-was that 12 hours of intense contractions or did they build up? I don't know whether to request an epidural from the offset?

RaRaTheNoisyLion Fri 28-Mar-14 18:20:32

You have a lot more control with an induction because you are allow them to do something to you. You can therefore withdraw consent at any time iyswim.

So, you can insist on an epidural being sited before you are induced, even if it isn't topped up straight away. Or you can say that the drip is too fast and too intense and you want them to slow down or you'll detach yourself.

You can refuse to lie on your back (makes contractions more painful for most and stops the baby from getting into optimal position to birth) and refuse continuous monitoring, or at least ask for it in a mobile way.

RaRaTheNoisyLion Fri 28-Mar-14 18:22:01

Millie, the baby getting stuck is more likely with both an induction and an epidural, especially if you are lying on your back during labour and/or delivery.

sofpp83 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:26:27

Why does the baby get stuck? I fell so ignorant. I try not to read too much as I don't want to worry. It's good to know that I will have full control. It's just knowing what to ask for at what stage. I don't understand why inductions are more likely to result in instrumental births which I'm keen to avoid.

superram Fri 28-Mar-14 18:35:26

Waters went at 37, no contractions. Needed sun toxin drip-they told me to have an epidural as contractions strong. First time mum, no, no just gas and air I will see how it goes. I had the epidural after about 3 hours. If you have the drip have the epidural first!!!!!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 18:50:13

Inductions are more likely to result in instrumental births for a few reasons:

- You are far more likely to have an epidural, and from early on. This makes you immobile and likely to be lying down. This in turn makes it harder for you/your baby to correct a non-optimal position, which increases odds of instrumental.

-Plus lying down to push you are pushing uphill (round the 'u bend'), which is harder, particularly when you can't feel to push. That also increases risks of instrumental

- Some people believe that by triggering labour artificially, you might be doing it when the baby isn't in the best position, again increasing risks of a difficult presentation, and again instrumental.

I had an epidural on the drip and it was the right decision for me, but I do think it contributed to DD1 getting stuck.

HawkeyeInChaos Fri 28-Mar-14 21:23:49

I was induced for both mine. In both cases my acupuncturist tried to trigger labour a couple of days before. It didn't work for me (although others have had some success), but I do think it helped start my body's preparation for labour.

You can ask for a telemetry (wireless) monitor so you can move around. I also agree, try not to end up lying on your back.

I didn't have an epidural for either of mine. It was not bravery - by the time I asked it was too late.

ToriaPumpkin Fri 28-Mar-14 21:46:26

They built up, the monitor showed I was contracting for a while before I even noticed them, after two hours they were unpleasant but I made it to seven hours (four cm) before I asked for any pain relief, then another two hours before I agreed to the morphine (opiates make me sick but they gave me an anti-emetic)

I was allowed to move around as much as I liked (did some bouncing and some pacing) once the initial trace was taken off and when I reached ten cm I was lying on my side but moved to high kneeling to push.

I won't lie, it was painful, but it really wasn't that bad. I've got friends who have gone into spontaneous labour who have had much worse experiences than me, it's the luck of the draw.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 29-Mar-14 17:28:24

A positive story for you, induced by pessary on Thursday, pessary inserted at 11am, no signs at all all day then at 10pm waters popped

I was at that point stood up until they had the staff to see to me, by 10.30pm I was contracting continuously and was told I was 4cm (not sure I was tbh, I wanted an epidural but they were too busy again, so regardless of what you want you don't always get it) by 11pm I was wheeled screaming like a banshee to delivery with a bottle of entonox and was told I was 10cm (hmm) and to start pushing (I already was!)... Baby born at midnight, pushed for minutes, couldn't believe it when they told me it was coming and coming now

It's not all horror stories! No tears and no stitches, no drugs and in hindsight glad I didn't get the chance to have the epidural as it was painful but it was at least quick smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now