Home Birth Assessment tomorrow - what to expect?

(23 Posts)
jellyandcake Thu 27-Mar-14 18:01:38

Do I need to do some housework?!

The midwife is coming for the Home Birth Assessment and I'm not sure what she will be looking for (probably not the mounds of toys currently scattered across the living room). Does anyone know what they are actually assessing? Space, practicalities, cleanliness? Any advice appreciated!

StrangerintheNight Thu 27-Mar-14 19:57:40

Is it your first? Either way, make sure the midwife reads your notes first, as we got the whole way through the fairly lengthy assessment visit, everything perfectly fine, then she finally read my notes and decided a Home Birth was out of the question (because of issues with the first that I'd never been told about).

This mid-wife's main bug-bear was clutter on the stairs (if you're planning to give birth upstairs) but apparently tidiness isn't a huge issue as long as there's space and light in the birthing area.

littleducks Thu 27-Mar-14 20:09:58

They checked that there was space in the areas I wanted to labour (bathroom and bedroom). They wanted access to a plug socket and space for some kind of resuscituon equipment. We were told to organise a bright lamp for stitching.

Ds was born in the bath. The second midwife hasn't even been called so whatever they wanted to plug in was not there and I didn't need stitches.

So don't let it panic you is more a car of being prepared for the worst just in case.

Oh and checking an ambulance could access Street and about parking permits for midwife cars.

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 27-Mar-14 20:58:28

Yeah, they don't care about toys. They are looking for enough space for things to be safe, thinking about where in the hosue you plan to be, where they will set up their paperwork, resus, etc. Also road access for emergency vehicles.

jellyandcake Thu 27-Mar-14 21:04:50

Great, thanks! It's my second, first was a quick labour so I want to be at home in case the second comes faster! Also I want a birth pool so it has to be downstairs - I figured it would mainly be logistics but wasn't sure what those would be. Road access etc hadn't occurred to me, but definitely not a problem. I feel nervous because I'm really attached to the idea of home birth now and want to get the go-ahead!

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 27-Mar-14 21:07:30

They are far more likely to have concerns about something medical than anything to do with your home. Mostly, they have worries about the property if they have things like 10th floor flats with no working lift!

As long as you remain straightforward low risk, it should be a formality. I've just had mine.

LizzieMint Fri 28-Mar-14 15:03:31

I don't remember ever having an assessment as such, I had 3 planned home births, and 2 actual home births. I think one of my mw appointments was at home near the end, so the midwife could check she knew where we lived. Home water births rock, you will love it. smile

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 15:12:49

Thanks, it was fine. Seemed like a box-ticking exercise really. Am so excited now!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 15:17:10

It is exciting isn't it!! I am now approved and get to the magic 37 weeks next week. Now this baby isn't allowed to arrive that soon, but gosh it feels good!

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 15:55:20

I'm 37 weeks next Wednesday! But baby also forbidden from arriving that soon because we haven't got anything ready!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 15:59:52

Exact same day as me! Due 23rd?

We have done nothing. This is DC3. The crib and the car seat are still packed away. I haven't got a new mattress. All the baby clothes are still in the loft. The only concession I have made to the situation is a hospital grab bag!

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 16:09:59

Yes, due 23rd! It's my second and yep, the crib is packed away still in pieces, the car seat is in the loft with all the baby clothes and I haven't done a hospital bag either. Going to get things sorted this weekend I hope! I keep thinking I've got ages and then panicking that there is no time left at all! Feel like I've been pregnant forever and will just stay pregnant, I keep forgetting I will actually have a baby...

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 16:10:59

Oh yes, need to buy a new mattress as well. Am going to have to make some lists!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 18:14:09

Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt grin

I have promised myself that this weekend I will get organised. I am lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that I've always been a week over in the past (so mentally, I still have around 4 weeks to go. And it's been important to accept that so I don't get grumpy like I did before), but this baby is term on Wednesday....

midwifeandmum Fri 28-Mar-14 18:29:35

When I do home visits for homebirths. I never check house work. I have 2dd one is 2 and other is 5. So my house is upside down. Basically its to discuss tjings with you. To make you feel comfortable. Assess whether house is appropriate if you want a birth pool and to help you prepare a room/rooms for your birth.

Oh and to see where you store your teabags and biscuits wink lol

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 18:38:33

That seemed to be my lovely community midwife's main concern too midwifeandmum - "we need a table where can set up our resus equipment with access to a plug socket. Oh, and biscuits." smile

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 18:58:57

Thanks midwifeandmum that was really all she was concerned about - the practicalities and making sure I understood the process if I need to transfer. And she wanted to know my preferences for labour and plans for my toddler during birth. She didn't mention tea and biscuits but I will make sure I get some in!

Term on Wednesday! It's crazy! Have been convinced throughout that the dates are wrong and ba

jellyandcake Fri 28-Mar-14 19:00:09

Oops! And baby will be late but now getting lots of BH, feeling exhausted and horribly nauseous and have started to worry about it coming early!

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Mar-14 19:05:01

Yeah, I had that with no.2 . 9 days late.

PeaceLillyDoge Sun 30-Mar-14 07:04:23

My community midwife did or assessment at the clinic. It was just a tick box exercise to make sure I knew what we were in for.

Have birth on our very small bathroom floor three weeks ago, it was incredible. Nothing beats climbing inti your own bed after you've delivered the placenta abs being brought tea and cake by your partner whilst the midwives do all their checks. They even cleaned thebathroom after!

I'd say go with it, enjoy it and make sure you've got some cake in for after!

Enjoy!

PeaceLillyDoge Sun 30-Mar-14 07:05:11

...I can spell, honestly. My phone just chooses not to...

jellyandcake Sun 30-Mar-14 07:59:52

Aargh Penguins, I don't want an early arrival but waiting nine days after the due date sounds like torture!

Congratulations Peace, sounds lovely!

jellyandcake Wed 09-Apr-14 15:41:22

Just to update, my waters went at 37+4 and I ended up in hospital after all. It wasn't what I had planned but it was fine and I'm now back home with my littlest enjoying the snuggles. Have an unused birth pool which I'm not sure what to do with now though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now