Elective c section as alternative to induction?

(9 Posts)
Mummyk1982 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:53:15

Hi all,

Looking at potential induction on Monday. Wondered if anyone knows whether I can choose to have c section instead if drip if the pessary first work? It was an after thought following my appointment with the midwife today and I can always phone and ask tomorrow but just wondered if anyone here knew? I've heard such horror stories about labour via the sinto drip that I think if prefer a c section (I'd prefer none of it and for nature to do its thing but it's not happening at the moment!)

Thanks in advance! :-)

Mummyk1982 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:54:03

* if the pessary doesn't work!

littone Wed 26-Mar-14 21:28:29

A friend under consultant care as had c section with her first had that agreement with her consultant. I have been booked for induction next Tuesday and midwife said as I will be 13 days over I have to be passed back to hospital but don't have to go ahead with induction, dr will go through risks of not going ahead, offer monitoring etc. So I am sure you will get the opportunity to discuss this with them before anything is done. Good luck and fingers crossed things start naturally for us both. Xx

Mumoftotsandteens Wed 26-Mar-14 21:34:36

Hi, I had to be induced 3 times, when I fell pregnant with my 4th I made it clear to my midwife & consultant that I didn't want to go through that again & if I didn't go into labour naturally I wanted an elective. Best decision ever!

ReluctantCamper Wed 26-Mar-14 21:38:48

I had an induction that started to go a bit wrong. I asked for a cesarean. Cue the usual messing about by the medical staff. I then informed the consultant that I withdrew my permission for the synto drip, once they realised I was serious they took the drip out, my contractions stopped, so they did a caesarian. You do not have to consent to the drip, I have promised myself that I absolutely will not be pressured into doing it this time.

Good luck!

badidea Wed 26-Mar-14 21:40:38

Just want to say that I had 2 inductions on the drip - first one was intense and fast and bloody agony, the second one was absolutely brilliant and as close to a natural labour as I could imagine (didn't have a jot of pain relief as I didn't need it, and was on the drip for 9 hours).

You do hear a lot of horror stories about everything in life (including induction) as people like mulling on the crap stuff (bad news sells papers and all that) but it's not all horrendous =- my 2 births couldn't have been more different, being on the drip doesn't mean it will be agony, just as a c-section doesn't mean it will be plain sailing, we're all at the mercy of the gods when it comes to childbirth - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed you go into labour spontaneously so you don't have to bother with any of this :-)

143b Thu 27-Mar-14 19:45:39

Mummyk1982 - I hope all going very well for you and you end up having a great birth!

Please let us know who it all goes as I am thinking about refusing the induction too if I go overdue. Statistics of the birth outcomes after induction are clearly not talking in its favour for me, especially for first time mums!

shimmymummy Thu 27-Mar-14 19:52:27

My consultant wrote a letter saying I was not to have the drip but a c section instead (if it came to induction), after a rather horrid first experience. Hoping it will end up being neither and will get a homebirth.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 27-Mar-14 20:00:06

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 17 weeks, so my dating scan couldn't be accurate. I went 7 days over my "due" date. I was given 3 lots of gel but did not progress beyond 1cm dilated. They wouldn't put me on the drip and I wouldn't let them break my waters.

The OB (no midwives here) scanned baby and said he was big. I didn't want a protracted and unfruitful labour, resulting in an EMCS, so I elected to have one there and then, so I was as fit and ready as I could be.

Oh yes, and DS was BIG. All 10lb 11oz of him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now