How exposed am I during childbirth?

(71 Posts)
Mrsstandard Sun 23-Mar-14 09:37:18

Hi,

How exposed could I be during a water birth? Will I even care because of pain?

PretzelPrincess Sun 23-Mar-14 09:46:40

I didn't have a water birth but only had a bra on hmm you won't care your in so much pain. Tbh my DH was with me and he sees everything on a daily basis so I didn't care and there was only one midwife in the room and they've seen a lot worse than my dimply butt haha

SomethingAboutNothing Sun 23-Mar-14 09:49:28

It's entirely up to you, some wear a bikini top, others a nightie or oversized shirt, some go completely naked. A friend of mine felt too restricted when she was giving birth so insisted on stripping off, however she didn't have a water birth.

But no, you probably won't care when the time comes smile

Unsureif Sun 23-Mar-14 09:50:00

I was naked both times and didn't care even though I'm far from an exhibitionist!

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 23-Mar-14 09:50:08

You won't care.

I guess though you will be no more exposed than you would be in a non water birth.

It's only on Holby people can give birth without taking their tights off.

gamerchick Sun 23-Mar-14 09:51:31

you won't care I don't think but you can wear anything you want over your top half. You don't have to go completely naked just to sit in water.

Mrsstandard Sun 23-Mar-14 09:52:11

It is just that my dad will be present at birth :-/

GummiBear74 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:52:19

I think you'll feel far less exposed in the pool than you would out of it. Even if you drop all your clothes on the floor before plunging in, like I did!

HermioneWeasley Sun 23-Mar-14 09:52:26

In the pool you could wear a vest or bra or t shirt, but you really won't care if the whole Vienna Boys Choir are in there as long as someone is getting the baby out of you.

HermioneWeasley Sun 23-Mar-14 09:53:11

Just seen your update - do you want your Dad at the birth? If it's going to inhibit you or make you feel awkward or self conscious, it's not a good idea.

pictish Sun 23-Mar-14 09:53:32

Though it seems hard to imagine now, you won't care about being exposed at the time.

Dontknowhowtofeelnow Sun 23-Mar-14 09:53:42

You definitely won't care but take something as security to feel better, like an oversized shirt. You can and will always strip off later, when you're off your rocker on gas and air. grin

Mrsstandard Sun 23-Mar-14 09:53:53

No I asked him to be there because hubby is useless

GingerMaman Sun 23-Mar-14 09:54:18

You definitely won't care. I was naked by the end of it, no idea how.

pictish Sun 23-Mar-14 09:54:21

You might want to rethink your dad being there.

GummiBear74 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:54:36

Ah, OK! If it's a pool in a hospital, it'll have high sides, so someone would have to be right next to it and peering over the side to see your fanjo. Perhaps wear a bra or bikini top if that would make you more comfortable?

Dontknowhowtofeelnow Sun 23-Mar-14 09:54:54

Ooh, do you want your dad there?

Dontknowhowtofeelnow Sun 23-Mar-14 09:56:16

Sorry X-post! Just have oversized t-shirt on then, will be fine.

Slh122 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:56:20

I was in so much pain I didn't care, I just stripped everything off because I felt a bit restricted. DP sees me naked everyday anyway, and the midwives have seen it all before.
I'm not sure what I would have done had my dad been there though - I'm inclined to say the same, as I literally just didn't care about anything else except the pain and getting the baby out.

insancerre Sun 23-Mar-14 09:56:24

strange to have your dad there
giving birth is not the time to be thinking of how much flesh you are exposing

pictish Sun 23-Mar-14 09:58:51

The thing is...you are unlikely to remain in one position. You may want to be on your knees hanging onto the side with your bahookie in the air.
It is important to feel comfortable with whoever is there, seeing your all.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 23-Mar-14 09:59:21

I agree that Dad should only be there if you're entirely comfortable with the prospect of him seeing everything.

Dontknowhowtofeelnow Sun 23-Mar-14 10:00:26

Yeah I don't think having your dad there will change your need to strip off, you won't be thinking about anything but getting the baby out.

Mrsstandard Sun 23-Mar-14 10:01:22

Dad has to be there because if not I will be on my own. My mum died and I have no brothers or sisters.

pictish Sun 23-Mar-14 10:01:59

When you asked about being exposed in the first place, and I assume you meant to the midwives...which you definitely won't care about.

I wouldn't have wanted my dad there though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now