Tight chest after birth?? Reassurance needed :(

(4 Posts)
countingdownthedays63 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:00:29

Hi ladies,

So I had a normal birth, very quick actually. Anyways afterwards my chest felt really tight and even standing up got me out of breath I was told it will just be from straining whilst pushing and from the gas and air but that was a week ago and my chest still feels somewhat tight and I get out of breath when moving around like tidying up etc. I went to the doctors yesterday and she said everything seemed fine but if the pain became sharp to go to hospital but today it's been a little worse particularly when in the kitchen but food is cooking and the tumble dryer is on so I guess that could affect it??

Just wondering if anyone else has had this? I'm an absolute worrier and little has come up about it being common when I've googled it.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated xxx

MolotovCocktail Tue 18-Mar-14 18:50:33

Well, I last gave birth in 2012 so this might not be relevant BUT I had a terrible cough for 3 weeks in January this year. If I breathe in deeply, my chest still hurts a bit today.

Maybe you just strained your chest muscles? All that inhalaling; all that pushing. Childbirth is hard work. It's amazing the strain it puts the body through.

However, as you're still in the early post-partum period, insist on a chest xray to rule out anything sinister.

MolotovCocktail Tue 18-Mar-14 18:51:51

Try not to worry. Hope it works out okay smile And congratulations on your new baby! smile thanks

Orangeisthenewbanana Tue 18-Mar-14 18:52:59

It is probably nothing but it wouldn't hurt to go to your local urgent care centre to get them to check it isn't a clot. They'll do a blood test first and follow up tests (or not) depending on those results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now