Needle phobia

(6 Posts)
Celestae Thu 13-Mar-14 11:38:17

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant, getting more and more nervous.

I am scared of needles, so much so, that with dc1 I still refused needles in full on labour.

I wanted to have the placenta deliver naturally, but they shoved a needle in my leg anyway, which I was cross about.

I had a second degree tear and they in the end stitched the muscle, but not the skin as I would need to have needles to numb the area for the skin. It did heal in time, but took longer than normal.

I know I just sound like a massive whimp, but the fact that I was still scared of needles whilst squeezing a baby out shocked me. I thought I wouldn't care by the time that was all going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do this time around? Will I just have to put up with needles after all?

SeaNanners Thu 13-Mar-14 18:40:09

i told my midwife to sit in the corner and be quiet lol i wanted peace and quiet to do my thing i had no needles or intervention until the head started coming out have you been doing your perennial massages ? usually with 2nd you wont tear anyway because your still a bit loose from last time im terrified of needles too unless i contracted an infection after the birth then they wasn't putting the needle in me whatsoever lol you be firm with them and tell them whats what i did and they backed off sharpish they cant do anything without your consent

Celestae Thu 13-Mar-14 20:23:40

Thank you! I would really like to stand my ground... And of course if something bad happened then yes needles become necessary and I'll just have to suck it up.

I have a meeting with my midwife next Friday regarding a birth plan, my partner is going too so we can team up lol!!

As for perennial massage I was worried to try it cuz I'm really prone to thrush, i only have to change my shower gel and I start to itch (tmi sorry) I have an oil that's for stretch marks and perennial massage that's all organic and natural .. I'll give it a try... If I get thrush... Then I suppose it's better than a tear.

SeaNanners Thu 13-Mar-14 21:53:31

you can use olive oil for perennial massages i have sensitive skin so its what i used i can only use sanex shower gel and E45 products too

Celestae Fri 14-Mar-14 11:05:14

Thanks seananners, I'll try that smile

Celestae Mon 17-Mar-14 13:29:27

Well... I tyres it out... No itchiness, however it provides much amusement, both me and the DP have ended up giggling about it... But at least it's fun hehehe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now