Late

(8 Posts)
DanishMummyM Sat 08-Mar-14 11:03:28

I'm now 8 days late with my first and going crazy! I have a lot of quite long lasting BH, but that's been going on for weeks and they are not getting more painful or more regular.
Three women in my Mummy Support group were all due after me but have all given birth now, and while I'm happy for them, I just feel it's so unfair!
I'm starting to feel like it must be doing something wrong or somehow blocking the process.
Any words of encouragement or similiar stories?

stargirl1701 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:06:08

Bounce on your birth ball? Watching the Paralympics? I spent 2 weeks doing this watching The Olympics in 2012. I managed 10 hours of bouncing the day before DD came. I was 40+2.

DanishMummyM Sat 08-Mar-14 11:09:05

I have already called my sister in law to borrow hers!! Thanks for the tip smile

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 08-Mar-14 11:12:51

A normal pregnancy lasts for 37 to 42 weeks. Try not to think of a 'due date' but a due window. We have the 40 week due date so that they can manage care around it, but it actually bears little relation to when most babies are born. If you lived in France, they plan care around the 41 week date so women there don't start saying they're late until a whole week later. It's meaningless.

I know it feels demoralising and thoroughly interminable, but your baby will take the time it takes. Every baby being different, you just have to wait for them to be ready to be born. You can't speed up the process. None of the curry, sex, pineapple stuff works because mother nature is cleverer than we are. What you can do is try and make sure you are happy and comfortable. Do what you like, when you like because believe me, it will all be over in a few days at most and you should focus your efforts on being as relaxed as possible. Ask people not to treat you like a time bomb, do not engage with all that 'haven't you had it', 'still pregnant, eh' rubbish and rest assured, the next bit is quite wonderful.

It'll happen. Promise.

You're so nearly there! I went overdue and was induced for being overdue with all three dc just horrible that final wait. Really really not long now smile

HugoTheHippo Sat 08-Mar-14 17:14:01

Ah, OP, I sympathise. If it helps, I went 10 days over with DD1 and then had a quick and very straightforward birth (got to delivery room at 10pm and baby was born at 11.15 with no interventions). I do remember being at your stage though - I was SO uncomfortable, trying to walk, bouncing on ball, eating pineapple, etc, to get things moving, but just wanting to sit on sofa with ice cream (it was August). Good luck, hang in there and you will be meeting baby very soon!

Odaat Sun 09-Mar-14 17:18:38

I sympathise. Any lady who has been there would! Not a nice / comfortable time - but just think you literally have less than a week of this - either way (induced or not) your baby will be here smile (unless you opt out of induction obviously...)
I went 10 days over. I did everything i could to bring on the labour... I was induced.

learnasyougo Mon 10-Mar-14 07:24:04

I went 16 days overdue, though a sweep at 40+12 did set off contractions within 24 hours. went to the hospital for expectant monitoring 40+14 and was kept in (as amniotic fluid was low). DS arrived, good and chunky after some interventions. ARM, synto, forceps. He was huge, but worth the wait (and weight). The waiting is frustrating but afterwards it won't matter. I think I prefer overdue to an early and sudden labour. my friend had hers at 35 weeks and she felt so unprepared. I was more than ready to see my baby at 42 weeks. you already KNOW you'll not go beyond that, so think of that as your new due date. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now