Does a show always happen before labour starts?

(14 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Tue 04-Mar-14 16:44:54

Hi
I'm 40 weeks tomorrow, and very keen for things to get started. But no show yet - does this mean there's no chance for the next few days? Or can it happen as labour starts (or during labour)?
Never thought I'd want to be in pain, but at the moment everytime I get back pain or a more uncomfortable bh I keep hoping another one will come!!! grin

Slh122 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:47:25

I never had a bloody show. I lost some mucus at about 36 weeks, it was just a small amount and it was green - no blood.
On the morning that I went into labour at 38+5, I went to the toilet after my waters had gone and there was a slightly solid gunk of green mucus. No blood in it.
Fingers crossed that it won't be long for you! smile

chattychattyboomba Tue 04-Mar-14 16:47:37

No, I didn't have a show (probably did but was too busy with contractions to notice).
First sign for me was my water broke. Followed closely and unmistakably by a very, very intense contraction.
Congrats! Any day now! (Jealous)

Same here, except I'm 40 weeks today grin

My midwife said everyone us different, some will lose their plug days or even weeks before labour starts, some will lose it bit by bit so they don't notice it and others won't lose it until their waters go. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules!

onceipopicantstop Tue 04-Mar-14 17:14:15

Thanks everyone at least there is still hope that things might get started soon! DC1 was 10 days late and I'm really hoping this one is more punctual!

mostlyconfused Tue 04-Mar-14 17:33:48

I didn't have a show and my waters didn't break! The midwife had to break my waters, which was not a nice experience!

RugbyWidow7 Wed 05-Mar-14 06:24:04

I had a show 2 weeks before labour last time, so it got my hopes up but didn't have much baring. Nothing so far this time (40+1). My waters were broken last minute in labour by the mw too!

chattychattyboomba Wed 05-Mar-14 14:59:51

Onceipop, any progress?

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 05-Mar-14 16:07:16

I have two children and have never had a show. So yes, it can get going without. You can borrow the proof if you like. grin

midwifeandmum Wed 05-Mar-14 16:12:45

No u dont neef to jave a show before labour starts. With dd1 my waters just broke at 5.30am - no symptoms before hand. just went to bed then woke up and waters went when I stood up

Your show (mucus from cervix) will all come away during labour when your cervix starts dilating.

Best of luck

onceipopicantstop Wed 05-Mar-14 16:45:18

No progress, officially due date but think dc is too comfortable sad.
Finding it a bit weird knowing things could start at any minute though!(Fingers crossed!)

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 05-Mar-14 17:04:03

I feel your pain. I went 8 and then 9 days over. This time, I am just assuming I will go well over and treating anything less as a bonus!

PickleSarnie Fri 07-Mar-14 14:58:56

I had no show with my second. No signs whatsoever. If I had then I wouldn't have stayed up to watch the (decidedly average) Olympics closing ceremony only to be woken up at 4am with contractions.

ItsSpringBaby Fri 07-Mar-14 15:18:21

I had one with my first. At that point I was well into a very drawn out labour - it was shockingly huge. A gigantic blob of green mucus tinged with blood.

Second nothing at all! I had been sat at home in labour for an entire day with no clue. Just a strange twinge that wasn't painful. My waters broke while was laying down and even that I thought was a kick! Baby arrived 30 mins later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now