Notes for complaint meeting

(6 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Tue 04-Mar-14 09:34:35

I'm waiting a date for a meeting with the Head of Midwifery care following my complaint about how my labour was managed - without going into detail, I was essentially bullied into a needless induction which ended badly. I'd had a very good pregnancy, was very fit and healthy, baby absolutely fine and was very pro having an active labour - water birth, moving around a lot, using hypnobirthing methods to remain calm etc. I was in a very positive frame of mind going into the labour but felt controlled by my midwives and registrar. I feel they should have been supportive of my positive attitude, and supportive of my choices - medical emergencies not withstanding. They have admitted the induction was unnecessary.

I'm nervous about the meeting and my main worries are that I won't be able to articulate how let down I feel. I felt bullied and controlled - my midwife's whole demeanour changed from bright and breezy booking in a 42 week induction (when I was 41+2) to demanding and controlling when I simply asked if we could review the situation IF I got to 42 weeks. There was no understanding, no explaining, no discussion, no advocating of me and my choices. Their language was "we will allow" and "we won't allow". I feel very strongly that they should not treat a woman about to go into labour in this way. Because of how I was treated, the thought of seeing these people again for subsequent pregnancies fills me with panic, and I have no faith or trust in them.

I have read on here a lot about advocating a woman's choices on how she gives birth, respecting her and her wishes and her rights. I want to make some notes for myself on these things but I can't seem to get my thoughts in order. Does anyone have any links to literature about how women should be treated and their rights?

TIA

Cariad007 Tue 04-Mar-14 10:28:14

The NICE Guideline to induction of labour might be a start?

CantUnderstandNewtonsTheory Tue 04-Mar-14 14:42:56

I can't link on my phone but AIMS is a good resource for this kind of thing. If you are worried about feeling intimidated in the meeting it might be worth speaking to a doula or IM to see if they could accompany you to the meeting.

Sorry you had to go through that, well done for complaining flowers hopefully this will make them think twice before doing it to another woman.

RedToothBrush Tue 04-Mar-14 16:01:33

Here is your starting point: Use the NHS Choices page on consent to treatment and how they define it to structure your points and use key phrases.

eg: Key point 1
Voluntary: the decision to consent or not consent to treatment must be made alone, and must not be due to pressure by medical staff, friends or family.
However the phrases "we will allow" and "we won't allow" were repeated used. This made me feel unable to question or challenge their opinion and did not allow me to voluntary consent to X or Y.

And go on from that.

By using official information from an official site, you strengthen your case by using clear examples of where they were in breech. It makes it much more difficult for them to make excuses or wriggle out of what they have done wrong.

RedToothBrush Tue 04-Mar-14 16:03:57

Also have a hunt for the GMC's guidelines on consent too. They are actually much more comprehensive that the link above.

Hang them with their own rope so to speak.

ZebraZeebra Tue 04-Mar-14 17:15:24

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is brilliant. You are brilliant. Redtoothbrush that was my thinking - use thir language and their guidelines.

I have no real hopes for much to come out of the meeting other than just seeing it to the end. Their first response was full of inaccuracies and I had to fight just to get this meeting. I only really hope that they think twice about how they treat other women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now