Alone the day after my ELCS

(24 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Fri 28-Feb-14 07:26:53

Due to unavoidable circumstances the day after my ELCS I will be in hospital alone until about 6.30pm as my DH has to be somewhere else.

I'm very anxious as to how I will cope as I have seen posts where people have said they can't even pick up their own babies, change the nappies etc - so am I going to be completely reliant on the midwives?

I can't bear the thought of little baby crying in his cot for a feed but me not being able to do anything but sit and listen to it until a midwife is available to pass him to me hmm

Does anyone have any reassuring words or advice?? sad

LadyGooGoo Fri 28-Feb-14 07:36:46

Congratulations!!

I had this...gave birth in Ireland at the height of foot and mouth (bear with me, there is a point!) and the hospital refused more than one visitor a day and only for an hour in the evening.

I spent 5 days on a little baby moon in that room, the midwives were good about coming when I buzzed, or popping head in to see if I was ok...the best bit they did was put the baby I the bed with me (with the sides up so he was safe).

I know it can feel isolating, but this s a moment where it will be just you and your little one with no one stealing them for cuddles, giving you advice, or interrupting you staring at the new life you just made.

Well done you smile

Flibbedyjibbet Fri 28-Feb-14 07:38:26

You will be alright I promise.
I've had 2 X elcs with very different recovery/care post op (different hospitals).
The first you HAD to stay in bed for almost 24 hours and if baby needed you you rang your buzzer and a midwife came and passed baby to you. We're also cathetered for this time so toilet wasn't an issue. Midwives used to it - very helpful.

My second was 15 months ago. Up out of your bed after 8 hours to walk to own room. I was "crapping" myself about that thinking it would be impossible. It wasn't and I was getting in and out to baby when needed. Slowly and gingerly of course.
Speak to the midwives on the ward as soon as you can to put your mind at rest but have yet to meet a midwife who resents an extra hold of a new baby!!

LadyGooGoo Fri 28-Feb-14 07:38:30

Oops, just saw you haven't actually given birth yet! Will think of anything practical now (Maybe a long wait!)

Ledkr Fri 28-Feb-14 07:42:02

I've had 4 sections and the day after you should hopefully be up and about and able to do a fair bit for baby.
Ask if you can have it done early if poss so that you can have longer to recover, also see if you can have one of the little clip on cots for baby so you can more easily reach him.
My dh was not with me all the time as he had to see to the others but I was ok.
You will be fine, good luck x

Meglet Fri 28-Feb-14 07:45:52

Just keep buzzing the midwives for help. Mine hated me but after a grim EMCS recovery 2yrs previously I found my inner diva and insisted they helped me. They wanted me to do certain things but I simply refused.

They might help you safely co-sleep in hospital, that would mean you don't have to keep reaching out and sitting up.

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 28-Feb-14 07:45:53

I had this with my 2nd and it was fine, I was up and about thhat morning and managed with pain killers. Was also at home on my own straight away after both as dp had to go back to work.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 28-Feb-14 10:49:03

What great replies - I feel better already, thank you so much everyone smile

<whispers> In a small way ladygoogoo I think I am looking forward to it just being the two of us as I don't feel quite ready to share him yet. A mommy and baby day, special bonding time....it does sound nice smile

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 28-Feb-14 11:00:07

See if they do side cots, ones that clip on to the bed, they were very helpful. Also have no shame in buzzing the nurses, they are used to it and its their job. And as someone said above its very unusual for a nurse to not want a cuddle of a newborn. You will be fine, plenty time to just lie and snuggle and doze. The day goes pretty fast as there always seems to be people in doing stuff so I wouldn't worry.

NorthEasterlyGale Fri 28-Feb-14 11:14:50

You will be absolutely fine - I had an ELCS around 11.45am Monday this week and was home by Tuesday evening. I requested my catheter out at 4am Tuesday and was able to get up and about then so could manage baby fine - before that, the midwives were happy to lift him in and out for me if I couldn't so I just buzzed when I needed help.

It was my second ELCS so appreciate I knew what to expect but reckon you'll be fine. Ask for help when you need it, get mobile as soon as you feel ready and have faith in yourself (whilst not trying to do too much!).

Strongecoffeeismydrug Fri 28-Feb-14 15:43:09

I had an ELCS just under 4 weeks ago and I was home 23 hours latergrin.
You will be fine, and if you need help the midwifed will help if you press the buzzer.

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 28-Feb-14 17:42:45

I found the worst part was the first night when I still had the catheter in, mw were really good though

MrsSpencerReid Fri 28-Feb-14 17:46:49

You should be fine, make sure you're topped up with pain relief, make sure everything is close to hand, drink, nappies, snack, clean clothes, buzz lots and when anyone sets foot in the room get them to help you with anything you're struggling with. Good luck smile

CelticPromise Fri 28-Feb-14 17:48:12

Have you heard of kitten hold? Basically you can pick up your baby by their babygro by gathering the material . Useful after c section so you don't have to lean over.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 28-Feb-14 17:49:31

Can you not have someone ask, friend, sister, mum to come and be with you.

Where I work its "partners" only all day but in the circumstances we would always allow a friend, relative to replace a partner.

And don't be afraid to buzz at all.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 28-Feb-14 21:07:23

As strange as it sounds beaver I wouldn't want anyone else there. I wouldn't be able to relax knowing someone else was just sitting there watching me. As much as I love my family, I wouldn't want one of them keeping me company for the day crowding me, driving me mad grin

VivaLeBeaver Fri 28-Feb-14 21:40:34

No I understand. I think you'll be ok. I was sore the day after my lscs but could pick dd up.

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 28-Feb-14 22:58:20

It is sore, but they encourage you to get out of bed first thing, have a shower etc and honestly its ok.

You can pick baby up out of the cot while sitting on the bed, the bed goes up and down which makes things easier, you will feel stiff and you tend to move really slowely (obviously) but its doable and you will have a lovely day just you and your baby.

They tend to put you close to the nurses station if you have a cs incase you need some extra support

Also ask for pain killers if you need them. I was written up for oramorph but they never offered it, I ended up having to ask for it.

MyDarlingClementine Fri 28-Feb-14 23:04:02

You will be fine, I didn't even use the little cot next to me, I had a v pillow and wedged baby next to me, changed her on it, fed her on it, she slept in it.
I could easily pick her up and manoeuvre, walking was tiring for me in first few days but you will only be walking to the loo and back!

I would have easily coped one day without DH> the only thing I would miss is the food he brought in

MyDarlingClementine Fri 28-Feb-14 23:05:03

You will be tired and on heavy drugs, and gazing in wonder at baby, you will be fine resting.

MyDarlingClementine Fri 28-Feb-14 23:06:07

btw i got a load of back desert island discs to listen too....i couldnt concentrate on much else bar baby was great to listen too when i was a little bored in between cvisiting

mewkins Sat 01-Mar-14 09:05:18

During my first night the other two lovely women on the ward helped me! I think one even changed a nappy!

MrsCDNinUK Sat 01-Mar-14 09:32:59

It looks like I'll be doing the same this week as DH likely has a huge job interview and can't really say he's not available for the entire week. They said they'd call to set up a time either Monday or Tuesday, elcs is on Wednesday so he'll probably try for Thursday.
It's my 3rd elcs and I'll be fine. I won't be able to have anyone else come as my mum flew in from Canada and won't drive here and has the two toddlers to watch. Day 2 is pretty good and I find the evening of day 2 to be the hardest discomfort-wise. Hopefully we can get a private room and just rest.

vj32 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:13:30

I found there was no problem at all getting help from the midwives in the day... it was overnight that there was a problem of lack of staff. So I would get as much help as you can in the day just incase there is little help overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now