Induction at 39weeks or frequent monitoring until 40weeks??

(8 Posts)
floatyflo Mon 24-Feb-14 19:22:29

Have had low fluid for a couple of weeks. Not leaking, no problem with babies kidneys or the placenta. Just unexplained low levels. It happens.

Have been going into hospital every three days for the past fornight for regular CTGs, everyone has showed baby is well. Two scans have showed the fluid levels have remained the same, not lower. She weighs approx 7lbs11oz at the moment and growth is perfect.

Booked in for induction Friday when I will be 39 weeks exactly. Friend suggested I ask then to postpone for another week and continue with monitoring in the hope that it gives me a bit more time to go into Labour spontaneously.

What would you do?

AndHarry Mon 24-Feb-14 19:29:55

I wouldn't be able to stand the worry so I'd go with the induction. I do understand trying to avoid induction and went to 42 weeks with my second pregnancy (DD arrived the day before I was to be induced!) but if you are happy with the reasons your consultant has recommended you being induced at 39 weeks then I would take that over something your friend thinks. If you aren't clear on the reasons and need further clarification to make up your mind then give your MW a call so they can talk through the pros and cons relevant to your specific situation.

floatyflo Mon 24-Feb-14 19:36:55

I def need to speak to midwife to clarify exactly why they recommend induction. I left the consultant with the belief it was because the fluid helped to cushion the baby from the contractions during Labour. But as another midwife said today, that's not quite right as when your waters break and and you have very little water to cushion baby during Labour anyway!
Perhaps I misunderstood what he was saying.

I think it is getting too that point where she may be better off outside than inside in those low fluid level conditions x

AndHarry Mon 24-Feb-14 19:49:44

In that case definitely call your MW tomorrow. Even if you go along on Friday and still aren't sure either way they will be able to give you advice then and you can walk away if needs be. I would definitely want to be clear but once I understood and agreed I wouldn't wait longer than recommended.

floatyflo Mon 24-Feb-14 20:01:38

Thank you. Luckily I have my routine appointment with mmidwife tomorrow anyway. Friday will feel like unwrapping a Xmas present a week early smile

AndHarry Mon 24-Feb-14 21:15:15

grin interesting metaphor... <pats head in patronising manner>

floatyflo Mon 24-Feb-14 21:55:01

'Tis second baby!

i was going to ask what number baby this will be, as early induction with first can make for a rough time (have been through it myself), but as its your second tends to make for a better experience.

if it were me, it would be a difficult balance between the safety of baby and potentially tricky induction. i would have conversation with consultant raising 40 week suggestion and see what reaction is. mention that in light of the levels being stable how risky it is, and also, whats the likelihood of a sudden change at this point.

this pregnancy (i had my son 2 weeks ago) because im in a high risk group my hospitals policy is 38 week induction. because my previous experience was bad and my condition is controlled well, consultant supported me going to 41 weeks with twice weekly ctgs and dopplers from 38 weeks, so similar scenario. i would have brought iol forward if any concerns but all was fine and just had arm which sent me straight into labour at 40+6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now