Waters breaking - would I know?

(19 Posts)
EekyBeaky Mon 24-Feb-14 03:31:18

Silly question but would I know? In bed and feel leaky (probably lost only a tablespoon of clear, odourless liquid but it was in a bit if a whoosh) - could I have a slow puncture as it were? I'm 37 weeks.

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 03:39:41

Go to the loo, put a pad on and lie down for half an hour, then stand up and if you then get another little gush it's probably that your waters have gone. It's not necessarily a dramatic thing as it could just be your hind waters. My hind waters went at 37+1. I was then induced 24 hours later due to risk of infection. In the induction sure they broke my fore waters which was rather more dramatic! Or if no gush then it should just be discharge which can get really watery in late pregnancy. Good luck!

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 03:41:39

Induction suite, I meant. My hind waters were initially only a tablespoon or two but felt like I was weeing myself. If in doubt of this then check the smell. Your waters smell faintly of bleach or semen!

Hamsolo Mon 24-Feb-14 03:42:03

Well, maybe. But if it's just a tablespoon probably not. Mine when at home and it was an awful lot of fluid. You could pop a pad on and see if more comes, but if it's just that bit, it's probably just discharge. It keeps coming too, if it is your waters. I had a long latent stage after they went and was pottering at home waiting with enormous pads on for about 24 hours. If you're worried though, ring the midwives, they'll get you in if they think you need to be checked out. Good luck!

EekyBeaky Mon 24-Feb-14 03:51:28

Thanks girls - will do exactly s you have suggested! Just worried me as it really woke me up (but then everything is waking me up!!)

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 04:03:31

It does sound rather like what happened to me then! And 36 hours later I had a baby smile.

EekyBeaky Mon 24-Feb-14 09:04:14

Oh gosh, ok!

CrispyFB Mon 24-Feb-14 09:17:49

I lost my hindwaters with DD1 and DD2 in a similar way - no big gush. In fact waters seemed pretty much nearly all there at delivery. Often baby's head reseals the gap.

Cariad007 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:30:53

Mine went an hour before giving birth, in a great big whoosh. There was no mistaking it!

MirandaWest Mon 24-Feb-14 09:32:53

With DS there was no mistaking it. Niagra falls type thing.

With DD I wasn't sure but when I was about 9cm dilated they broke my waters so they hadn't gone before grin,

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 11:07:25

Any update OP?

EekyBeaky Mon 24-Feb-14 16:40:12

Nothing exciting to report. Had another little whoosh this afternoon. Seeing a MW for check up tomorrow so will get their view but on the basis most of my waters must still be there (plugged in or otherwise) I think I'm ok to hang on!

Timpani Mon 24-Feb-14 16:43:59

Sounds like mine... I wasn't sure! But dd arrived 8 hours later!!

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 17:27:21

I would advise getting it checked today if there's a chance it could be. I wasn't allowed to go more than 24 hours from them breaking before they induced me (or I had 24 hours to see if it would progress naturally) as, even if it's just your hind waters and the baby's head has dropped there is still a much higher risk of infection to the baby which could be dangerous, so best to be safe?

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 17:31:13

Some primary care trusts would let you leave it longer btw, (never more than 96 hours with monitoring) but at least ensure you are checking your temperature every 4 hours and go to hospital if it rises at all as this can indicate infection.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 24-Feb-14 18:55:05

I'd give your midwife/community midwifery team a call and see what their advice is.

Yes to the 24 hour thing not - I was told this too when my waters broke - funnily enough at about 3am as well - and gave birth about midnight eeky - just saying! grin

Congratulations and good luck - keep us posted eeky smile

notoneforselfies Mon 24-Feb-14 19:01:13

Yes unfortunately I didn't get into established labour in the 24 hours from my little trickle of waters so had to be induced. Starting with breaking my fore waters, which was epic in volume, then drip and lovely, lovely epidural. 12 hours in total from arriving at hospital and voila - healthy baby at 37+2. Happy days. smile Good luck OP, will be thinking of you and please, if you do wait until tomorrow at least monitor your temp carefully to be as safe as you can...

EekyBeaky Tue 25-Feb-14 00:29:53

Thanks so much girls. Called the hosp earlier this eve and they said all sounded fine and probably wasn't waters. Going to monitor closely tonight and then I'm in to see then tomorrow. Lots if baby movement at the moment but no pains, cramping or anything else. Night night all x

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 25-Feb-14 14:02:33

Good to hear everything's ok Eeky smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now