Hypnobirth or Doula

(9 Posts)
AllBoxedUp Sun 23-Feb-14 21:26:31

Hello. I am 29 weeks pregnant and hoping for a VBAC. At my midwife's appointment this week she suggested I look into hypnobirthing as I am quite fixated with the idea of tearing (she actually wrote in my notes that I have tocophobia/fear of pushing and should get referred for CBT but she thinks the referral won't happen in time). She also suggested looking into a private midwife. To be honest I am a bit worried about spending lots of money and ending up having another ELCS (DS,3, was breech) as we are feeling a bit poor at the moment and trying to save money.

A trainee doula or a hypnobirth course are both about £250. Which would you go for and is it too late to do the hypnobirth course? I have been half heartedly been listening to a cd I bought on amazon but probably not often enough and the midwife didn't think this would be much use anyway.

I don't think I do have tocophobia to be honest - I think I am just been realistic that there is a good chance I will have a reasonably bad tear I don't know if it's such a bad thing to be prepared for the worst... Thanks for reading.

dinkystinky Sun 23-Feb-14 21:32:55

Doula and read hypnobirth book and listen to the cd (can get v cheap in eBay) - its what I did for ds2 and ds3 and had 2 swift straight forward births - hypnobirthing great to get you in the zone, doula will keep you there. Good luck.

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Feb-14 12:53:12

I would say doula personally. I found hypnobirthing didn't really do much for me. I needed more 'active' coping techniques and support. But it's a very personal call.

GingerMaman Mon 24-Feb-14 12:56:13

I'd definitely go for doula and get the hypnobirthing book and CD.

I was very into hypnobirthing, listened to the CD etc etc but it did very little for me. Doula would have been much much more practical and useful.

AllBoxedUp Mon 24-Feb-14 21:18:41

Thanks everyone. I do know one person who had a great experience with hypnobirthing but she wasn't in a VBAC situation. Will investigate doulas a bit more.

emsyj Mon 24-Feb-14 21:31:52

I had a hypnobirth home VBAC smile. I also had a fabulous midwife who was with me throughout pregnancy - she did all my ante natal appointments, delivered my baby and all my post natal checks til 6 weeks. I think the doula is a fantastic idea, it made a massive difference to me IMO to have someone with me who knew me and whom I trusted. I did find hypnobirthing techniques very useful though, but the book and CD should be helpful enough if you choose to spend the money on a doula.

bluebeanie Tue 25-Feb-14 14:24:55

Completely agree with dinky

Helenkerridge Thu 27-Feb-14 17:44:19

Why don't you try and get a doula who is trained to help you use hypnobirthing techniques? It might be an idea to also book an appointment to speak to a Supervisor of Midwives at your local hospital to carefully review your last labour and birth with you and make a plan for this one.

Helenkerridge Thu 27-Feb-14 17:53:24

Perineal massage reduces the risk of tearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now