Bahamian national wanting to deliver in ireland

(5 Posts)
dlowed Sat 22-Feb-14 19:21:54

Hi everyone. Well im a soon to be mum (14wks preggo) and i was born and raised in the bahamas. My mom and all her family was born in ireland so i am entitled to my irish passport which i am working on getting now but i am just curious seeing as i have visited ireland quite a bit but never actually lived there would it be extremely costly to just have my baby in ireland because i doubt i would be able to use the free public prenatal clinic etc. We dont have the best public prenatal care where i live and private care is entirely beyond my budget. Any input would be greatly appreciated smile

quietlysuggests Sat 22-Feb-14 20:24:45

If you are entitled to a passport, wouldn't that mean you are entitled to a pps number? Google it and find out.
Because if you plan to live in Ireland for a short while you do have the right to use the public system. Any pregnant woman with a pps number is.
To be honest they are not at all strict so if you turned up in late pregnancy you would be well treated.
But you should make sensible plans, go over in 1st or 2nd trimester, get an address, a bank account, a pps number, book in with a GP and get your world class medical care.
What part of Ireland are you connected to? What part would you live in?
I no longer live there but I had my baby in CUMH and it was out of this world! I couldn't praise it highly enough. Far superior to the NHS I have experienced since..

dlowed Sun 23-Feb-14 23:14:07

I would be going over in june after my son finishes school here because he will be starting school in dublin in september so thats where we will be living....im due in august and im definately trying to make plans before hand.

quietlysuggests Mon 24-Feb-14 13:38:15

If you are going to be living there anyway it will be quite simple. Arrive, get an address, quickly sign up with a GP who will refer you onto local maternity hospital. Bring your hospital notes from whoever is looking after you now.
All maternity care is free.
Some choose to go privately but you don't need to. Its mostly about making 100% sure you have a consultant at the delivery which is important to some people.
But the free public system seems great.

LondonForTheWeekend Mon 24-Feb-14 21:12:06

I also had my kids in CUMH- a new hospital. Lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now