When was your ELCS booked for?

(21 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:42:00

Can I ask all the women who had an ELCs how far into your pregnancy was it booked for??

I'm due to have mine at 39+4 and I'm worried it's cutting it a bit fine and I might go into natural labour before it!!!

Has this happened to anyone???

stressbucket1 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:05:32

Mine is booked for 39+3!

NorthEasterlyGale Sat 22-Feb-14 18:45:21

With DS1 in 2012 it was at 38+3 (actually booked for 38+2 but got bumped to the next day due to number of emergencies). Now, they won't do them before 39 weeks due to small possibilities of breathing difficulties before this gestation, apparently.

Mine is booked for 39+4. Which happens to be Monday. Oh crap. That's actually quite soon now!

Must admit to having spent the last week or so with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't go into labour - especially as all the midwives kept say 'ooh, they're pushing you close to your due date, aren't they?'. I was also at work until Wednesday so DS2 has simply not been allowed to consider early arrival grin

SixerofthePixies Sat 22-Feb-14 18:47:24

Mine was booked for 39+3 and I went into labour the day before, just called the hosp went straight in and I was first down after an emergency

RubyrooUK Sat 22-Feb-14 18:53:52

39+5. My hospital wouldn't do an ECLS before 39 weeks. I had to have mine for medical reasons so was worried about going into labour before but luckily DS2 stayed put!

MolotovCocktail Sat 22-Feb-14 18:58:25

39+3 (but by my reckoning of when we conceived, it was 38+3. I'm pretty sure I'm right as I was tracking my cycle whilst using clomid. Also, dd2 weighed only 6lb 9oz, compared with dd1 who weighed 7lb 5oz at 40+2. She's a ray of sunshine now at 22mo grin )

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 22-Feb-14 20:19:36

Mine was booked for 39.2 as they don't book you in at weekends,and they wouldn't let me have her on the Friday as I was only 38.6 grrrrr
Hospital policy is no earlier than 39 weeks unless it's emergency

curiousgeorgie Sat 22-Feb-14 20:20:59

I had one at 38 + 5 and one at 41...

Highlystrungmum Sat 22-Feb-14 23:39:32

I'm booked in for 39+4, it was that day or the next available date I would be 40+3��

cravingcake Sun 23-Feb-14 06:11:40

I was booked in for 39+2, my hospital only does elcs on tuesdays and fridays. When i was 36 weeks i started having what felt like contractions and was in being monitored but they wouldnt consider doing c-section as baby wasnt showing any sign of distress.

I had a consultant appointment at 37 weeks and basically begged them to bring the c-section forward by a week as i was in constant agony. My first DC arrived naturally at 38+4 after my waters broke and he was 8lb 2oz so i knew baby was a good size. They said no, wouldnt even consider it, and was prescribed enough codeine to take for 3 weeks so i could manage the pain.

If you go into labour naturally, or think you might be phone your labour ward and tell them you are going in to be checked over, if you are in labour or baby is distressed they will do an emergency c-section straight away.

treadheavily Sun 23-Feb-14 06:13:47

I was booked for 37 weeks

YarnyStasher Sun 23-Feb-14 06:28:34

39+0. That's the earliest our hospital will do it and I was pretty panicked about going naturally - I have medical reasons that mean I shouldn't attempt second stage.

bellablot Sun 23-Feb-14 06:45:14

39+1
39 and
40 weeks

If you labour naturally they will take you straight in for an emergency c-sec opposed to an elective c-sec.

schmalex Sun 23-Feb-14 06:48:02

Booked for 39, but had a show at 38+2 so went into hospital and had the CS that evening (breech so they preferred not to risk me going into full labour).

Writerwannabe83 Sun 23-Feb-14 14:45:57

Thanks everyone - I feel a bit more reassured now I know that it's completely normal to leave it so late!! I will still no doubt panic about going into natural labour at an earlier date but I shall try to control those feelings as best I can smile

MrsCDNinUK Mon 24-Feb-14 10:25:19

Mine is booked for next week at 38+6. Before I saw the consultant the midwife said they may not book it until 40 weeks, which had me worried as well (this is my 3rd c/s). My last one was at 38+6 as well and my first was at 39+4.

Vicki070712 Mon 24-Feb-14 11:25:29

Wasbooked in for 39 weeks exactly. I'm in Aberdeen x

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 24-Feb-14 12:47:38

Very few places will book before 39 weeks now (unless there is a medical indication that the baby should come earlier, obviously, like a deteriorating health condition in mother or problem for the baby).

Although 37 weeks is term, babies born naturally at this stage tend to have sufficiently mature lungs. Babies born by section earlier than 39 weeks are more likely to have breathing problems as they may or may not be ready.

MrsSpencerReid Mon 24-Feb-14 12:54:02

I never managed to make it to the point if being booked and had 2 emergency ones, first a proper emergency, second was prob more urgent than emergency and there was just time for steroids, I would def ask for these if there is time, I think they made a big difference as dc2 avoided a stay in nicu, there were both born at almost the same gestation, don't panic if you haven't got time, but it's something I'd want to ask about I there is a next time grin good luck

Loopylouu Mon 24-Feb-14 16:30:30

First was booked for 39 exactly, but I went into labour at 36+4.

This one is booked for 38+6 (as my consultant only works Wednesdays!) but I can't see myself making it that far.

Deb2202 Mon 24-Feb-14 16:56:36

I was booked in for 38+4 as the consultant only did Tuesdays. It was meant to be 39+4 but I was v anxious about going into labour early due to previous bad experience and other stuff.

The consultant was perfectly happy to do it before 39 weeks. However, when he was born he was rushed to scbu for 24 hours due to breathing difficulties. It was a risk I took and I was racked with guilt but that's how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now