What happened to Independent Midwives

(19 Posts)
amala80 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:52:33

Hi,

I just found out that I am pregnant with my third. For my second baby I had booked with two independent midwives. I want to book with them again as this was the best choice I have made after having some sad experiences during my first pregnancy. Now I am reading that they are going to be illegal!!! Is this true or just rumour? I am terrified that i will be all alone again in my pregancy...has anyone more information?

thank you so much amala

Millionprammiles Tue 18-Feb-14 13:04:25

My understanding is midwives can no longer practice independantly of a hospital. You could still hire someone with midwifery experience to help you with childbirth at a hospital (or at home in addition to hospital employed midwives). They wouldn't have any say in the decisions made by hospital midwives though.

patsy375 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:10:15

Not so much that they are illegal but more to do with them being unable to get liability insurance any more. sad

PeterParkerSays Tue 18-Feb-14 13:12:58

My understanding was also that they couldn't get insurance.

OBRIEN Tue 18-Feb-14 13:55:05

Hi Amala, IM's have found insurance but need financial help to launch, there is a campaign ongoing currently supported by their thousand of clients, they are also urging mumsnet to take up the campaign, please lend your voice of you can! No problem booking one as legalisation has not been passed and looks unlikely to be in the very near future. Congratulations and best of luck, booking an IM was the best decision I have ever made! Sam

Chelseagran Tue 18-Feb-14 18:12:19

Hi Independent Midwives are still very much legal, busier than ever and have found PII (Professional Indemnity Insurance) but IMUK members have decided that the insurance will not go live until the Government makes it law. That was supposed to be in October 2013 but didn't happen . They are still unsure when the Act will be passed but it doesn't look like anytime soon. Some Independent Midwives are able to access insurance through NHS Trusts so if that is important to you it's worth checking with the IM's in your area. You can do a postcode search at http://www.independentmidwives.org.uk

eurochick Tue 18-Feb-14 18:16:38

As others have said, it is not illegal. The issue is insurance. This means that there are fewer independents around than their used to be.

I am engaging a midwife through Neighbourhood Midwives. They are insured.

Teatimecakes Tue 18-Feb-14 21:01:36

They are certainly not illegal! I'm booking with one very soon. Google independent midwives and have a look at their site - hope you find one xx

amala80 Wed 19-Feb-14 10:31:50

Thank you so much for claryfing this! But why is the government not helping then? I just wasn`t enough what I received for my first baby. Everyone was rushed and busy and during birth I did not know and also did not like the midwives....I really want to go down that independent midwives route again...it is such a different story...

larrygrylls Wed 19-Feb-14 10:39:58

Have a look at the below. If you are in the area, they are excellent.

http://www.mumandbump.com/

eurochick Wed 19-Feb-14 10:48:23

*there not their in my last post.

amala I agree. I can get quite anxious in medical environments (hate hospitals, hate being poked by strangers). So for me, having a consistent person who I trust there for the antenatal, birth and post-natal periods should really help. For me, it is worth paying to get this. I figure less stress = less chance of intervention = better recovery, and that for me is worth the price. We'll so how it turns out in reality.

Neighbourhood midwives are fantastic! I had Tina formerly from south London independent midwives. I had a hospital birth which was fairly awful shoulder dystocia, ventouse etc
We booked Tina just for the post natal bit and she was amazing and I think saved me from developing PTSD. She also rescued our disastrous start to breast feeding I would not have been able to continue without her daily visits and support not just of me but my dh. Cannot praise her enough and next time I will have her with me at the birth an hopefully avoid another cascade of intervention!

amala80 Sat 22-Feb-14 11:27:19

Hi farfallarocks ,

I totally agree. the start can be tricky with all the breastfeeding and everyone tells you something differently. I also appreciated that I had someone to look after me every day for the first week to help it all on a good way. I am wondering if I get one or two midwives when I book with neighborhood midwives. are the same midwives on call the whole time? i just don't want to book with some agency and then I some random people. thanks for your help!

amala80 Sat 22-Feb-14 11:28:48

teatimecakes with who are you booking? neighbor hood midwives or independent midives?

Teatimecakes Sat 22-Feb-14 16:51:36

Not neighbourhood midwives as their insurance doesn't cover vbac homebirth. I have found another IM via the site that is covered for home vbac so will be booking with her. She's already given me a lot her her time on the phone and counselled me through me re-telling her the trauma of ds birth. She's already been incredible and I can't wait to get our appointments started!

happymum29 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:38:37

I've just come across this thread as I was looking to find out how I could help support the IMUK members to raise the money they need for the insurance. I wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

I was lucky enough to have an independent midwife for my first pregnancy, and I am really scared that the brilliant continuity of care and home birth option won't be available to me for my next pregnancy. I've been recommending my friends and family to read this book a friend lent me this week, which gives a brilliant perspective on independent midwifery and why we need to fight for the choice to use one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Babys-Coming-Dedication-Independent/dp/1472211731

Loopylouu Wed 26-Mar-14 05:34:18

I've got an independent midwive booked for my postnatal care as I didn't want to have to rely on nhs ones.
I saw a different one each time during ds postnatal visits, all contradicting each other and turning up whenever they felt like it. Not seeing nhs ones at all after birth this time.

Loopylouu Wed 26-Mar-14 05:35:13

Oh, and they can come and discharge me from hospital too so I'm not hanging around waiting for discharge like last time!

Twinkletron Wed 26-Mar-14 06:07:20

I wanted an IM for the birth of my son but was unable to because of the insurance reasons but...... I spoke to my (NHS) MW and was referred to the home birth team which was now made up of the ex-IM!! So I had a wonderful home birth and saved myself £1500! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now