Tips to bring on labour - what worked for you?

(188 Posts)
trix1 Sat 05-Aug-06 14:31:48

Did sex work for anyone? if so how long before labour started? Any other tips welcomed?

pucca Sat 05-Aug-06 14:35:34

A longggggg walk lol, that is what got me going with my dd (waters went that night)

southeastastra Sat 05-Aug-06 14:37:14

walking and cream cakes!

trix1 Sat 05-Aug-06 14:48:37

I have not got the energy for a long walk

strongmints Sat 05-Aug-06 14:52:34

sorry trix- i think walkin gis the way to go - def worked for three of mine - 4th stubbornly refused to go anywhere!! also had sex as much as i could muster the energy for, drank reapberry leaf tea, ate curries..and anything else I could think of i am not a patient woman....when are/were you due?

trix1 Sat 05-Aug-06 15:04:20

Im almost 39 weeks, I should be more patient I know, but Ive had enough. Plus I had my ds at 37 weeks so I expected the same this time.

juuule Sat 05-Aug-06 15:08:01

Unfortunately - nothing and I think I tried everything. All of mine were overdue. 2 of them were induced at 42w.

HJ06 Sat 05-Aug-06 15:17:39

went for an hour long walk up and down hill, started 7 hours later with a 6 hour labour (1st baby), although didnt think i was for the first hour.

Eeek Sat 05-Aug-06 15:24:01

a glass of champagne and a party. Honestly!

MrsApronstrings Sat 05-Aug-06 15:44:03

eeek - what a pleasant way to go!

trix1 Sat 05-Aug-06 17:31:35

Ive got the castor oil - just dont know if I am brave enough to take it.

LucyJones Sat 05-Aug-06 17:32:53

gin and tonic and a long walk

psychomum5 Sat 05-Aug-06 17:39:21

caster oil worked for me with my first, but not with any of the others!!!

am guessing that she was just meant to come that day anyway, and tis the only reason it seemed to work...she was 10 days over after all!!!

all the other were induced on or before dates tho because of health issues, and I always tried the caster oil the day before in hope that I would be able to forgoe the internal ect to start me off.....never worked tho....HoHum...

friends tho have tried the pinapple method, thats worked for two. another bounced on a trampoline and her waters broke...so that's a fun one to try.

sex is supposed to work, but in all honesty altho we tried (and it didn't work for us), it felt for us both as tho I was just being 'serviced'....not really the best way to make you feel sexy when you already feel like the side of a house!!!!

ooh, and another friend had a hot curry, threw up and as she did so her waters went, so for her the curry method worked.

am guessing tho in all honesty that baby will come when meant to and not a moment before!

Jazzi Sat 05-Aug-06 18:10:05

I tried the sex but didn't work, and was bloody uncomfortable!!! I found a walk and a vegetable chilli!!! Hope that helps.

Toady Sat 05-Aug-06 18:11:59

raspberry leaf tea
pineapple
curry
walks
sex
bj's
getting on your hands and knees and scrubbing the floor
not worrying about it - you have still got three weeks to go before you are overdue

cazboldy Sat 05-Aug-06 18:28:48

plan something important that you really want to do before the baby comes and he/she is sure to make an appearance on that day!

cazwaz247 Sat 05-Aug-06 19:05:30

Rasberry leaf tea worked for me, started drinking it on the Wednesday and DS arrived on Friday, on his due date!

me23 Sat 05-Aug-06 19:08:44

I drank rasberry leaf tea from 35 weeks, on the night I went into labour (38 weeks) I had a pizza with chillies on top and before that had walked loads, good luck.

Olihan Sat 05-Aug-06 19:15:09

I did EVERYTHING: nipple stimulation, pineapple, curry, walks, sex, raspberry leaf tea and still went to 42 weeks and an induction. They only come when they're ready .

Mind you, all of these things give you something to do while you wait.

The only thing that made a bit of difference was the nipple stimulation with a breast pump as I was 4cm dilated when I went in for the induction.

P.S. I've read somewhere that castor oil is not recommended anymore as it gives you a raging stomach upset. Maybe check with a mw first?

Mrsaek Sat 05-Aug-06 19:50:51

It doesn't have to be "Sex" , just a good strong orgasm (toooo much info I'm sure). This worked both times for me, and both times I had quick efficient labours (4.5 first, 1.5 second). The second time I started taking rasberry leaf tablets (holland and barrett) 2 days before I went into labour, so possible they helped as well.....whatever happens, the baby will come when its ready.....GOOD LUCK

Mrsaek Sat 05-Aug-06 19:52:27

(I was 6cm dilated with first labour when I got too hospital, and 9cm with second........and I'd only had 5 contractions

Olihan Sat 05-Aug-06 19:55:41

If you don't mind telling us, how did you achieve the huge orgasm without sex then? Is there something out there that could be the saving of copious mn sanities?

Personally, I would pay any money for something that meant i didn't go overdue again.

dreamydowler Sat 05-Aug-06 20:10:17

Ive just been reading up on reflexology points used to naturally induce labour and apparently massaging the inside of your heel and applying pressure with your thumb relates to your uterus and helps it to contract and the underside of your big toes relate to your pituitary gland which is responsible for the release of hormones which kick start labour and if continued throughout labour can shorten labour by making sure contractions are regular

jamsambam Sat 05-Aug-06 20:11:51

countdoown worked for me, when it started i was a bit achey, by the end id had a baby!!!

singyswife Sat 05-Aug-06 20:17:01

Ask your mw for a membrane sweep. Bloody painful at the time but seems to kick start things.

MagicGenie Sat 05-Aug-06 20:37:39

Sex worked for me. Apparently it's something to do with the difference in acidity/alkalinity in sperm which 'reacts' with the acidity/alkalinity in your vagina.

We did it on the Weds night, had a show Thurs morning and went into labour that night. I was 41 + 5.

Like someone else said though, they only come when they're ready. Friends of mine have done the whole sex/pineapple/raspberry leaf/curry thing to no avail.

Beauregard Sat 05-Aug-06 20:48:12

Walking and sex worked for me both times,obviously not at the same time though

mazzystar Sat 05-Aug-06 21:04:55

Reflexology. I had a session the day before I went into labour, don't think it was a coincidence. Will certainly do this again.

I also reckon being very relaxed helps.

Btw raspberry leaf tea is meant to be good for strengthening uterine muscles, not specifically inducing labour.

olivo Sat 05-Aug-06 21:33:17

how long a walk are we talking? i'm a week or so behind trix, and starting to get desperate too!

Laura032004 Sat 05-Aug-06 21:45:56

Tried nipple stimulation (with a breast pump), curry, pineapple, rasp leaf tablets, bouncing on birthing ball, walking 3 miles a day, pounds of grapes, orgasms (but not sex as waters had gone), membrane sweeps, scrubbed kitchen floor, reflexolgoy, cleaned to within an inch of my life.... and the only thing that worked was 41 hours of induction with a drip!

My waters had been gone for nearly a week by then, so I'd say rest up, and the baby will come when it's ready. I know that's harder said than done though

PinkTulips Sat 05-Aug-06 21:59:37

cumin tea and nipple twiddling!

PinkTulips Sat 05-Aug-06 22:02:15

that and having everything 'ready' IYKWIM. went mad cleaning and organising and when everything was done i was all relaxed and prepared for labour.

Mrsaek Sat 05-Aug-06 23:58:23

Olihan, do you or your partner not have hands/fingers or do I have to spell it out? (like I said tooooo much information)

Mrsaek Sun 06-Aug-06 00:06:43

Female orgasm (be it from sexual intercourse or masturbation)releases oxytocin (as does nipple stimulation) which in turn can encourage labour to start. A sentence I NEVER imagined I'd write lol!!!

expatinscotland Sun 06-Aug-06 00:11:19

sex worked for me!

pussyinboots Sun 06-Aug-06 02:57:31

Lol expat worked for me too... nice orgasm does wonders, a few hours later after a nice sleep I was in labour!!

MrsApronstrings Sun 06-Aug-06 03:52:33

did the nipple twiddle thing - didn't work for me

finefatmama Sun 06-Aug-06 17:37:16

I had 4 tablespoons of castor oil mixed with ice-cream, concentrated robinsons orange and brandy. It worked in bringing on the contractions.

trix1 Sun 06-Aug-06 18:02:46

how long did it take to work Finefatmoma?

Lmccrean Sun 06-Aug-06 18:51:56

Do you have your bag packed? Unpack it, and spread the contents into cupboards all around your house! Shaved your legs yet? Dont bother! Sods law says itll happen when you are least prepared! And itll be good for you to move around and pack when labour starts..apparently!

littleducks Sun 06-Aug-06 19:52:36

Castor oil and tropicana, but oh god it was gross and iot does go straight through you but hey then i didnt have to worry about shitting whilst in labour. But no some people do not recommend it but researched and decided it was less risk than other induction techniques imo but u should prob read it all 4 urself before u decide

trix1 Sun 06-Aug-06 19:59:15

Littleducks how long did it take to bring on labour and then how long where you in labour.

how many weeks were you when you took it?

I took 30ml of castor oil and tropicana two hours ago.

Dragonhart Sun 06-Aug-06 20:15:52

Heard Sunny Delight helps but not tried it myself.

Went 2 weeks over with my DS and tried everything, rasberry tea for last 3 weeks, Curry, pinapple, walks, housework (couldnt face sex but MW told us that it is the semen that actually does the work so afraid it is all or nothing!). Nothing seemed to work and I think they just come when they are ready - sorry . My friend had her baby at 38 weeks and I had mine at 42 weeks so I was preg for a month longer than her when it was boiling hot last summer. Just not fair but I guess that life. Sorry not to be much help. Hope it happens soon for you.

MuddyMum Sun 06-Aug-06 20:22:09

Acupuncture.

MuddyMum Sun 06-Aug-06 20:26:47

Forgot to add it worked within 24hrs, like the 'acupuncturist' said it would. I was a complete sceptic, but was happy to say it was non-revolting, didn't mean using a pogo stick to jump around the house and painless. BUT involved someone saying nice things to me when I felt huge, heavy and very tired.

Sallie Sun 06-Aug-06 20:44:02

A large gin and tonic - worked all three times - recommended by my midwife....

littleducks Sun 06-Aug-06 20:46:22

i took it when i was overdue, id been having on off contractions for days and wanted to have baby in birth centre. I had dd the next day after castor oil took it and then when contractions came stayed standing etc so head pushed on cervix, i had a very long "latent stage" but went in hosp with pain that needed g and a i progressed very quick and had dd in 3 hours later, only pushed a few times. midwives werent expecting it as she was born in her waters. dd was in bad position though and i was slow if i hadnt taken it and forced labour to progress by walking standing i would have been induced on ward but instead had beautiful natural ( i did what i wanted with no instructions from midwives they just sat and watched while i got on with it) birth which i loved. Sorry i still get a bit carried away by it all

trix1 Sun 06-Aug-06 21:04:33

Well its three hours since I took the castor oil and nothing so Im going to be paitent - well, will try to be.

daisyartichoke Sun 06-Aug-06 21:07:00

midwife suggested 1000 - 3000mg eevening primrose from 38 weeks ( helps body be more receptive to prostaglandins (sp?) ) and sex worked both times for me, second time i went into labour 1/2 hour after and dd arrived 3 hours later!

tigertum Sun 06-Aug-06 21:31:18

Hi Trix1

I was in hosptial for about 8 or 9, tedious and lonely days at the end of my pregnancy. The day the doctors told me that I could give birth naturally but would need to stay in hosptial until I went into labour (potentially another 4 weeks) was the day I am certain that I made myself go into labour! This is what I did:

Being in hospital for that long had been tedious beyond belief and because of the potential complications I felt like I was living in an uncomfortable limbo.

So, that afternoon, when DP visited me we walked the entire perimeter of the QMC (which is huge). When I got back to my room I didn't stop. I paced and paced and really tried to visulise being in labour and pushing the baby out. When I eventually went to bed I massaged my nipples too.

I went into labour that night and had given birth by 9pm the next day! 2 weeks before my due date! I am adament that it was mind over matter that put me into labour.

Good luck for your labour - it wont be long I'm sure. I know you aren't asking for labour tips but I'd just like to say, don't be scared, trust your body and just go with it. That's the key! x x x

Cam Sun 06-Aug-06 21:37:45

What worked for me was being shown around the labour ward at my local maternity hospital with my NCT antenatal group - I went into labour a few hours later !!

Astrophe Sun 06-Aug-06 22:17:17

Apparently castor oil can 'work' because the nerves/muscles/something that wirks the bowel also works the uterus, so laxatives can stimulate contractions...but I doubt it would bring on labour if you wern't rather close anyway.

Nipple massage worked for both of mine (but maybe was close anyway?).

DD, was 7 days overdue, so massaged for about 15 mins every couple of hours all day, then went into labour early next morning.

DS, was keen not to go overdue, massaged every night (!) for 15 mins from about 38 weeks, a bit more closer to due date, had DS 4 days late after a nice (huh?) short labour.

I've read that nipple massage is actually proven by studies (as oppsed to pineapples...apparently you'd have to eat 40 to get enough of the chemical to do anything at all!), but really, how can you tell if baby was just about to come anyway? Having said that, will def do nipple massage again for any more kids I have.

HTH

nicnack2 Sun 06-Aug-06 22:18:08

digging my car out of a snow drift with one day to go

littleducks Mon 07-Aug-06 09:54:47

trix, how u feeling?

spinamum Mon 07-Aug-06 10:10:12

(i'm reading this with great interest as I'm due Xmas day and my plan is two weeks early as we've got family over!)

In first pg, I did sex,curry,clary sage(DON'T DO THIS),long walks,being driven over speed bumps,sitting on my swiss ball, talking sternly to baby,being READY for baby, nipple stimulation, raspberry tea, .

Had a stretch and sleep at 41 and a half weeks and DS popped out 20mins before I was due to be induced(The popping out took a day and a half BTW)

My friend said papaya thai salad works!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

trix1 Mon 07-Aug-06 10:41:08

Had a painful night from the castor oil, really thought at times that this was it but no its all stopped. I wont do it again, Ive had a taste of the pain to come so I am going to wait patiently now until baby is ready to come. Im so releived them horrible cramps have stopped. Silly me.

freddysays Mon 07-Aug-06 11:00:14

Spina mum, why did you say dont do clary sage??? I have some burning now, cumin tea in hand. I am 5 days overdue and about to go radio rental!!!

Pls tell me if the clary sage is inhibiting an dI will throw it straight out the window!!!!!

PS some of the suggestions have made me laugh adn the over riding message of baby coming when he is ready is almost making it through to my intolerant brain!

Toady Mon 07-Aug-06 11:05:33

I know its hard at the end, this baby will come when its ready, he or she is all snug inside you, not ready to face the big wide world yet.

legophobe Mon 07-Aug-06 11:18:47

Reflexology. ds1 and ds2 came 10 days early, the day after a reflexology session. ds3 was 3 weeks early - a few hours after a pedicure! In the unlikely event of a 4th, I'll use it again.

trix1 Tue 08-Aug-06 17:13:13

I have resigned myself that baby will come when he/she is ready.

sleepycat Tue 08-Aug-06 17:28:45

Pineapple...I ate a whole one over one evening and I wasn't sick!! Labour started at 7am next morning, waters broke...defiantely the pinapple!

JennT Tue 08-Aug-06 17:40:42

This has been mentioned before but raspberry leaf tablets were great. The tea is rubbish and not very strong. Started taking it at 36 weeks.

Nipple stimulation made me have cramps so strong I stopped after a few minutes. You're meant to do it 3 times a day for an hour if you're serious about it.

Walking. Definitely walking.

Orgasm (DIY or GSI)

flubdub Mon 14-Apr-08 19:25:11

Raspberry leaf tea only ripens the cervix, and makes your contractions more efficient - it does nothing to induce labour.

With ds1, I had two pineapples blended, and went into labour the day after, but you have to eat SEVEN for them to do any good, so it was just a coincidence.

Im currently 38 weeks and want this baby out. Just had a bath in clary sage, and have done some 'niple tweaking' with a breast pump.
Have had sex (with lots of orgasms) the last two days, and have had about twenty hours of VERY strong contractions, but theyve stopped.

Fasted for 24 hours: Ate a whole pinapple: Went into labour 12 hours later!

barbamama Mon 14-Apr-08 19:37:03

Clary sage in carrier oil rubbed on bump worked for me - with caution though as I think it may have made the contractions a bit more full on - not worse than they would eventually have been if you know what I mean but straight into it full on with no more gradual build up.

Definately the pinapple, - but you have to eat a lot, raw and on an empty stomach!

muppetgirl Mon 14-Apr-08 20:24:25

FOOT RUB WORKED IN THE MUPPET HOUSEHOLD!

Ds 2 arrived on his due date due to a foot rub 2 days before! Pains started almost immediately.

vicky11 Mon 14-Apr-08 20:40:25

You are only supposed to use clary sage oil in the bath when in labour. It helps the uterus to open up so dangerous in the bath before.
doing nipple stimulation as i read this thread. 2 days over and straight away feeling something!!!!!!

angelfelixkids Tue 22-Jul-08 16:59:41

i have tried everything sad
i am now 37 weeks pregnant and am tired and fat and uncomfortable and need a good night sleep.I have tried the castor oil,sex nipple stimulation,curry and walking and nothing has worked so now i am in need of some more tips on how to get this labour going.grin
could somebody please help lol

lulumama Tue 22-Jul-08 17:01:42

your baby is probably not ready at 37 weeks, that is only just full term!
if this is your first baby, then relax and get your feet up

lots of sex, raspberry leaf tea and nipple stim can help BUT only if you are ready

a membrane sweep at 41 + weeks can be helpful

laura325630 Wed 23-Jul-08 20:20:15

Fresh pineapple and a 20 minute walk a day for a week did it for me. 1 day early and a 2 hour labour!

candyfluff Wed 23-Jul-08 20:24:01

yes sex worked for me in the final week of my pregnancies

Susie1791 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:18:48

I'm trying the lot also, booked in to be induced on Wednesday at 41+5, they reckon the baby is about 9lb8! First baby so really nervous about the induction, really wanted to go naturally but have tried all suggestions, having 2nd sweep today and going to book reflexology, wish me luck!

leesmum Mon 04-Aug-08 10:43:23

A brisk walk while pushing Ds1 in his pushchair started off labour with Ds2.

mamadiva Mon 04-Aug-08 10:56:02

I got a membrane sweep then walked a mile
into town for a very hot curry with DP.

hours later went into labour

frutilla Mon 04-Aug-08 17:46:39

at 40+5 I ate a bunch of parsley and made loads of parsley soup. It brought on strong contraction and partial dilation (baby couldn't descend as cord was round neck, so had to have section in the end).

Flossyjim Mon 04-Aug-08 18:06:30

At 39wks 6days, I really fancied a beer, chips and alioli. Had my first contraction immediately after that first sip of beer, within 20 minutes they were 2 minutes apart! By the time I arrived at the hospital, (15 minutes later), I was 9.5cm dilated! DS arrived about 20 minutes later!

So, I would recommend the alioli. Sod the garlic breath, it works! Best of luck

bohemianbint Mon 04-Aug-08 18:16:07

Another vote for sex here! GOod luck, am 38+1 and fed up as well!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 04-Aug-08 21:39:13

Message withdrawn

Ledodgy Mon 04-Aug-08 21:40:03

Nipple tweaking.

sweetkitty Mon 04-Aug-08 21:40:44

Again nothing worked for me and I tried everything too

Sex just gave me horrendous BHs that I thought we the start of labour but weren't.

Twice now when I have stopped doing everything I have went into labour myself.

Tas1 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:27:15

Reflexology.
It worked for me, I went into labour within 24hrs of having it done.

frazzledoldbag34 Tue 05-Aug-08 19:57:11

Sex (but you need an orgasm I reckon) for it to 'work'.
As much as you can manage (I know, it's not what you really feel like doing, but if it works.....?)
Worked for me anyway. Twice.
DD1 born 2 days late.
DD2 born on due date.
Also I find moving house / stress seems to have worked (for me and other friends).
Bit drastic tho!! grin

Ineedsomesleep Tue 05-Aug-08 19:59:58

Mock the Week. Think DD was almost laughed out.

BetsyBoop Tue 05-Aug-08 20:12:06

nothing, absolutely nothing....

and I tried just about everything known to man except castor oil

DS ended up being born by el c/s at 40+10, rather than my longed for VBAC - I had gone into labour with DD (my first) at 39+4...(and I know both due dates were bob on as I was charting my cycles) DS is still just as laid back as ever, I'm sure he'd still be in there if it wasn't for the c/s grin

p1umpudding Thu 14-Aug-08 22:36:47

Had sex at 11pm and went into labour at 3am!

I didn't need to try anything else, but I hear that walking helps.

natalier Fri 15-Aug-08 22:35:31

im 40+8 and would love it if anyone could tell me how i could help baby. i had a sweep this morning althoough my cervix is fully closed. i was crying as i want this baby out due to get induced on wed nite. please help heres wat ive tried alot lol
brown sugar in warm water
pineapples
nipple stimulation
sex
currys
raspberry tea leaf
walking
bouncing up and down
talking to bump.

please help me im going out my mind.
x

jchandler Fri 15-Aug-08 22:42:11

at 8 days over due with my first bub, i had a sweep at the hosp, then did everything.... a long walk, hot bath, pineapple juice with CASTOR OIL (cant believe it ), and raspberry leaf tea. My labour started straight away and bub was born in 5 hours. Very painful, but quick !!!

All the best

natalier Sat 16-Aug-08 11:46:48

thanx, is castor oil safe to take? and how much should i use.? 9 days overdue is agonising. x

sleeplessinseatle Mon 18-Aug-08 10:16:34

natalier

I've heard walking up and down the stairs sideways can help

hetty37 Mon 18-Aug-08 12:06:53

Last Wednesday, sat in a hottub with my friend for an hour and laughed alot. Got home. Waters broke, thought it was jacuzzi water to begin with!!!!!!!

natalier Mon 18-Aug-08 12:33:55

sounds like a nice way to get things started hetty

HelenBabyHToBe Thu 21-Aug-08 11:10:11

my membrane sweep wasnt painful at all thankfully- done 4 days befire due date but didnt work at all.
have tried natural methods for starting labour!!!!! - also pineapple - raspberry tea - walking for loads of miles - also bouncing on ball. This is my first and 7 days overdue and NOTHING has worked. Booked in for induction tonight which is v v v infuriating that baby has decided to not co-operate. Bit peeved with baby now to be honest !!!!!!

ashleighxx Mon 25-Aug-08 16:42:31

hey there im 39+1 wks with 2nd ad wt any tips to go i to labour as was 1day early with ma wee girl but nowt happnin yet tryed walkin, sex and rasberry leaf tea but nowt happnin goin to have a spicey dinner and then goi a hot lavender bath as ma mums friend done that and she went in to labour 1hour later so hopfuly this works as totaly want everythin to hurry up
any mora tips xxx

MEJ Tue 26-Aug-08 13:49:47

Generally babies will be born when they are ready! Reflexology is great, effective and safe but you should get a Maternity Reflexologist to treat you as they are specifically trained. I have used this method effectively on a number of women and often they go into labour in four hours!

twofalls Tue 26-Aug-08 14:05:07

I tried everything in the book - reflexology was lovely by the way, really relaxing - but I don't believe anything actually works unless you are ready. Much better to spend the time trying to relax and get some sleep. Easier said than done I know smile

BitOfFun Wed 27-Aug-08 05:26:42

I had sex before both births, and would recommend it - but it might have been the curry, long walk or house-cleaning!

Heebychick Wed 27-Aug-08 09:23:32

Sex worked for us too, i was 41+5 and had tried everything! Pineapple, raspberry tea, curry, housework.... everything. But soon after sex (about 2 hours) my waters broke!

Thatsnotmyfairy Wed 27-Aug-08 10:59:21

Acupuncture worked for me. Had treatment at 3pm, waters broke at 9. Had to drive from Hertford to London for it at 2 days overdue, nervously sitting on a pile of old towels just in case!

min912 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:10:48

Sweep worked for me BUT it made for a two-day labour... so I wouldn't actually recommend it!!

I think it's true to say they don't come out until they and your body are both ready for it.

earthpixie Wed 27-Aug-08 11:44:49

Agree with Olihan - they come when they good and ready. I tried absolutely everything to no avail. I think when people claim that something worked it's because the baby was coming anyway.

isaidno Wed 27-Aug-08 11:48:07

I ate a pineapple at 5:30pm and my waters broke at 6pm.
(then nothing happened for 24 hours!)

PavlovtheCat Wed 27-Aug-08 12:45:30

Sex - and probably a sweep. Not sure which actually worked but I would like to think it was the sex, as it was more pleasant!

Sweep on Thursday, midwife said have a 'romantic' night wink, which we did no the friday - as due to be induced early on the monday so thought we would celebrate last weekend without baby! Had sex at about 11:30pm and waters broke at 5:30am ish on Saturday morning.

18 hour labour - only 8 of which were painful.

PavlovtheCat Wed 27-Aug-08 12:46:32

That should ready, I was due to be induced early. Induction on Monday - ie baby was coming early due to complications! Not early on monday! [lol]

That should ready, I was due to be induced early. Induction on Monday - ie baby was coming early due to complications! Not early on monday! [lol]

PavlovtheCat Wed 27-Aug-08 12:46:33

frankiesbestfriend Wed 27-Aug-08 12:48:00

Passive smoking

Some dirty animal blew smoke near me and I had a huge coughing fit which resulted in my waters breaking.

Not sure I'd reccomend it thoughgrin

WentworthMillerMad Wed 27-Aug-08 13:05:00

My first 2 babies were on time 40 weeks and 40+8. was convinced my 3rd would be the same - went to 40+12, tried everything i could manage:
long walks, sex, pineapple, castor oil, visualisation, curry, glass of organic wine, sitting on birthing ball for hours, went for 4 sweeps but as cervix tightly shut this was impossible.
Finally the dreaded induction at 40+13 which was a fantastic experience but thats a different thread!!!

ps midwife did comment how old and gritty my placenta was, knew my dates were spot on due to less romantic nights having already 2 small children if you know what i mean!! you still have 3 weeks :0

G2B Wed 27-Aug-08 13:20:09

caulophyllum worked for me I got it from a homeopath. It was recommended to me by a friend and I'll recommend it to anyone.

Kirky12 Wed 27-Aug-08 15:06:23

tried all of the above and still waiting at 41 wk today.....i'm now bouncing up and down on the gym ball like a demented Tigger...I presume this is not dangerous!

frazzledbutcalm Wed 27-Aug-08 16:50:38

My sister is a midwife and she says nothing works, baby will only come when ready. As previous poster said, people claim certain things have worked but it actually would have happened anyway at that time. She did say once labour has started sex will progress labour more quickly as the sperm 'eats away' at the cervix causing it to dilate more quickly.

becaroo Wed 27-Aug-08 17:05:43

I have heard you should take x 1 tbsp of castor oil in a food such as scrambled egg (protein and easily tolerated) and if needed repeat next day but no more.

HTH x

poppy34 Wed 27-Aug-08 17:08:49

nipple tweaking

Leenie Wed 27-Aug-08 18:14:59

walking definately helped me...had my beautiful little boy Sunday morning (24th)
i took the dog for a long walk on saturday evening and then started to really do some serious cleaning, woke up about 7 am, was leaking fluid, had a shower and called the hosp at 8.30, as was getting light contractions, was told to make my way in when they got to 5 or 6 mins apart, at 9am they were so i called a taxi, got there at 9.30,they monitered the hb for 20 or 30 mins then we just had time to fill the pool, he was born at 10.50am best birth experience i ever had, water was amazing for relief,

Buckets Wed 27-Aug-08 19:39:42

Sex started off both labours for me. Contractions fairly instantly but no waters broke.

ellideb Wed 27-Aug-08 19:47:09

Raspberry Leaf Tea is not supposed to bring on labour so can people please stop saying it as it is misleading!

LackingNicknameInspiration Wed 27-Aug-08 19:52:14

Sweep at 10am followed by reflexoloy at3pm.
Baby born 10.21am the following day!

flimflammum Wed 27-Aug-08 20:12:52

I tried everything with no.1 and nothing worked, except shock of being told I was being induced that evening.

With no.2 (also overdue), I had three sessions of acupuncture, including moxibustion to turn the baby in the last session, and went into labour next day.

I also ran up a hill (chasing toddler).

Good luck smile

ChippyMinton Wed 27-Aug-08 21:40:29

Assembling some Ikea flat-pack furniture - twice!
DS2 was induced with a chest of drawers and a pair of bedside tables.
DD was induced with a couple of bookcases.
In both cases my waters broke in the early hours of the next morning

UmSami Wed 27-Aug-08 21:55:31

I found a wee bit of prostoglandin gel and artificial membrane rupture at 40+11 worked just fine for me.

Membrane sweep,
Stress of moving house,
Flat pack furniture,
Decorating,
Pineapple,
Hot Curry,
Sex,
Several Long Walks...all did nothing.

But a couple of friends have both reported that flying late in pregnancy is very effective! Bit of a worry for me as am flying at 34+5 with my toddler, and will not be quite ready for baby as again am moving house! Oh the madness! I'll be keeping my legs firmly crossed...wish me luck not to pop LOL

LittlePushka Wed 27-Aug-08 22:11:07

DS1 = one hour swim in morning and 2 mile walk in afternoon

DS2= 4 mile cycle ride up and down forest tracks.

Both were nine days overdue.

sex worked for me though it wasnt planned got a "show" in the middle of sex at 36/37 weeks blush

flossiedoodle Wed 27-Aug-08 22:47:11

well i resorted to sex with all 3 of mine and each one started within 12 hrs after that. the first one had had 77 steps up a steep hill in bristol first mind!

i've also given myself a sweep possibly each time but certainly with 2 and 3, it's amazing where you reach with enough intention!

and the final thing i've used, with less success for starting labour but plenty for putting me in a good space - physical, mental and to some degree emotional - to labour was cranial osteopathy.

good luck, it's such a blast!

twofalls Thu 28-Aug-08 08:23:44

But none of these things would have worked if your body wasn't ready, honestly. I did ALL of these things and it still took gel, my waters being broken and a drip to get my labour started at 42 weeks so I really wish I hadn't bothered with all the effort and just put my feet up with a box of chocolates instead. By the time I did actually go into labour I was bloody exhausted grin.

Isabellasmam Thu 28-Aug-08 08:29:30

I tried sex and it gave me loads of uncomfortable cramps but no labour. Not worth the hassle if you dont feel up to it. I'm with twofalls, be patient (I know its hard when you feel so uncomfortable), relax and enjoy this time as you'll never get a chance to stop afterwards. LO will come when their ready.

CCT Thu 28-Aug-08 16:10:38

Sex is definetely the trigger for labour! If you think that the drug they wuold give you in hospital to induce labour is pig sperm based, then surely your own partner's ''fluids'' will do an even better job!wink

I also had labour start by having a reflexology session with a Reflexologist who specialised in pregnant women. Had a huge contraction during the session!!!

Good luck!

loc Thu 28-Aug-08 20:53:42

Try marching around the living room singing the grand old duke of york! It worked for me at 39 weeks.

bluebell82 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:44:28

sitting on my birthing ball infront of corrie, using my breastpump to 'express' stuff out my boobs, within 4 hrs was in labour... 4 hr birth, no tearing or drugs, can't wait for the next!!!!!!!! smile

loveverona Fri 29-Aug-08 10:20:16

Reflexology worked for me with 2nd child. I had two sessions then he came the next day, 12 days late. Could of course been a coincidence and that it just helped me relax, but the foot massage was heaven at the very least! Daughter before that was 15 days late and induced - nothing worked with her!

Ntombi Fri 29-Aug-08 12:57:40

sex worked for me at 37 weeks did at night and early morning around six two hrs later was in labour gave birth the following day 8'oclock in the morning. intense pain started around eight in the evening though.

Well good luck!!!!!!

orangehead Fri 29-Aug-08 13:00:41

Ate a whole pineapple, it has to be fresh. Went into labour that night. Five years later I still cant look at a pineapple without feeling sick

Fenris Fri 29-Aug-08 16:38:02

I am off to see the Eurofighter! Hopefully the noise and vibrations will get things going.

meganrj Fri 29-Aug-08 21:50:03

Tried a whole lot of sex, 2 pineapples in 3 days, long walks (even in the rain), curry every day for lunch and dinner (and even breakfast once) for over a week and raspberry leaf tea and still went 2 weeks over followed by 3 days of labour and an emergency c-section! completely worth it. I have a gorgeous 3 month baby daughter.

pushchair Fri 29-Aug-08 22:04:18

Discovered that I really am not fond of pineapple.
Curry didnt work
Sex was the last thing I felt like
Midwife doing a thorough rummage and "pulling the cevix round"hmm did the trick. Felt like one of those cows in a vetinary programme but was glad not to have another induced labour

sunandmoon Fri 29-Aug-08 22:14:02

Reflexology at 42 weeks, the day before I was going to be induced.. seemed to be the only thing to start it! Good Lucksmile

jemimapants Fri 29-Aug-08 22:40:24

I had a sweep from a 6 foot 4 male midwifery student with hands like shovels!

Very effective.

mumofnineangels Sat 30-Aug-08 00:14:04

I tried everything as my seventh child was nearly a month overdue! I refused to be induced, as I believe it could cause problems and she came eventually at a month late!
I think babies should just be left to come when the are good and ready.

mou Sat 30-Aug-08 01:18:53

first one went for a long walk and jumped up and down screaming you can 'bleep bleep' come out now...went into labour that night (10 days early).
second one i walked round with a piece of newborns clothing for a day, and went into labour late that evening. midwife told me it would stimulate the right hormones or something (6 days early)
patience wasn't my strong point at the time!!!

saramoon Sat 30-Aug-08 11:00:41

Sweep
Pineapple - lots
resepberry leaf tea
curry
sex
walking - lots
Nothing worked. Was induced with my lst dd after i was 12 days overdue.
Was induced with my 2dd after 10 days.
After 1st induction really wanted to wait and do it all naturally with 2nd, u know the staying at home as long as poss etc but a week after i was due i was begging for another induction!! Couldn't bear it any longer, couldn't even sit on the sofa comfortably.

vodkamartini Sat 30-Aug-08 22:48:31

Going in for my induction....had to stay overnight on the ward till they had a space for me in the labour suite - waters broke at midnight!

guineamango Sun 31-Aug-08 06:02:49

Cleaned the house all day long! (through necessity after decoraters had finished) Had very quick 4 hour labour a day early!

littleoldme Sun 31-Aug-08 08:44:52

Christmas shopping worked for me- maybe a little early at the mo though wink

minkersmum Sun 31-Aug-08 15:56:14

I had my first child spontaneously at 37 weeks, at 38 with my second i was running to the loo but constipated when i got there (TMI!!!!) I decided to take some castor oil to clear me out knowing it may help shift baba too, took about 3 oz around 3pm, had the tom tits about 7pm, followed by plenty of fluids (and a chinese takeaway!!), started having some braxton hicks, then at 9 pm my waters broke.

Got more and more bh until by about 12 midnight when they were definite contractions but still very manageable. My daughter was born at 2.40am in the pool.

Currently 38 weeks with number 3 and def will try the castor oil smoothies again. Helped me feel 'cleared out' for delivery. Nothing worse than a full bowel in second stage IMO!!!

maggi Mon 01-Sep-08 18:19:32

had a curry fri night and in labour from sat to monday (those nice midwives recorded it as an 8 hour birth - ha ha ha - ops just tore my stitches).

I'm 39+5 today and I've just woken up to a whole pineapple. My tongue is seriously tingling now! I'll get back to you as to whether it works or not!

Incidentally, if so many pineapples are needed before there's enough chemicals to actually work, would drinking pineapple juice work better maybe?

shatteredmumsrus Tue 02-Sep-08 07:09:36

I had castor oil with my first and it worked withn 2 hours but it wasnt pleasant. I had a sweep with my second but that didnt work and in the end I was induced at 41 weeks. I know how hard it is the waiting isendless and you are really uncomfortabe at this stage. It wont be long i promise - and all the very best of luck xxx

DisplacementActivity Tue 02-Sep-08 07:25:10

Message withdrawn

But surely you don't eat the core because it's the hard bit? hmm

smallone Thu 19-Feb-09 09:46:59

Nothing worked for me, I reckon its just chance that babys arrive after some of these methods. I would save your energy! You'll need it for the labour.

dollius Thu 19-Feb-09 17:11:18

Sex worked for me both times - was in labour within half an hour for each. Poor DH, he really did have to step up to the plate those times!

Sex works - not just a coincidence. If they induce you, one thing they do is to give you a prostaglandin pessary - ie they deliver hormones called prostaglandins to near your cervix. And guess where else you find prostaglandins? In semen.

So the artificial induction method is just copying what you can try yourselves...

(Not that either the natural or artificial method is always successful, of course, but definitely worth a try)

hayleyscomet Fri 20-Feb-09 16:35:49

Hi, I am in France and my midwife has recommeded after the 39th week Black and Blue Cohosh, which is sold here in the pharmacies, its homeopathic. Also walking. And after the 41-42 week, 3 big spoons of Castor Oil with 1 teaspoon of alchol (any which you prefer) and topped up with fruit juice... Tastes bad, might give you the runs or vomit, but last resort, is supposed to work. Anyone tried any of these before?

hkz Fri 20-Feb-09 16:52:47

accupuncture , clary sage and a sweep....

hayleyscomet Fri 20-Feb-09 17:04:34

Oh yes, she also said making a tea out of sage leaves

Wigglesworth Fri 20-Feb-09 17:14:46

Fresh pineapple and lots of walks, bumpy car rides supposed to be good too.

Helley Fri 20-Feb-09 19:35:13

a sweep worked for me.....that night I lost my mucus plug and the following night waters went... was 40+7

natapillar Wed 16-Dec-09 01:01:33

i had a membrane sweep with my youngest and it did sweet FA! i ended up having a doc break my waters to start the labour on the ward was very painful and i even passed out!!
am now almost 37weeks with baby no.4 and i am almost at the point of trying to kick start the labour. walking lots can help(i know,easier said than done!) and it can make labour easier if ur fitter

newmomma Wed 16-Dec-09 10:58:54

I went to an emotional funeral and had my first (huge) contraction in the crematorium car park afterwards!

I went straight into five minute contractions and my waters broke on contraction #2.

My son came two weeks early...

I realise you can't re-create those circumstances (!), but I am going to sit in front of a string of weepy movies if dc2 becomes overdue (due in MAY!)

Well I hope the OP has had her baby by now grin
My midwife told me to chew on the core of a pineapple. Last time drinking a whole carton of concentrated pineapple juice worked for me. This time round even taking shares out with Del Monte hasnt worked.
Im 5 days overdue and I dont think this baby is ever going to come!

merryberry Wed 16-Dec-09 11:15:00

when i got to 40+10, 19 days false labour, 3 nights no sleep, induction booked next morning i had a moaning weep on my own in the bedroom and resigned myself to no homebrth and gory times in hospital the next day. had a nap, bingo, into labour. so i think for me just going into a que sera sera mood = enough relaxation to start labour

maggy1983 Mon 08-Feb-10 11:45:47

janinelouise Thu 11-Nov-10 15:14:03

iv had 4 children and tried everything with my 4th the thing that worled for me was gin n tonic it brought on contractions and my waters broke :0)

Promotingwellbeing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:44:48

Hi, I'm a Professional Reflexologist and specialise in pregnancy. I was trained by a lecturer in midwifery.
I wouldn't advise anyone to try it the pressure points on themselves without professional guidance. I understand how frustrating and uncomfortable it can be. Using reflexology to induce should really be done with the midwives agreement as really the baby will come when it's ready in the majority of cases. Saying this I have treated lots of clients with reflexology near the due date and they have expressed how much it has helped relax them and relieved their backache, constipation, tiredness and frustration etc, plus it offers a bit of 'me' time before all the attention focuses on the lovely new baby. Good luck to you all

pregobelly123 Tue 17-Jul-12 10:11:24

I tried stuffing my face with ice cream it didn't work after I was soo stuffed It felt like I got Bigger.

therumoursaretrue Tue 17-Jul-12 10:55:32

Thank you for starting this thread OP! I am only 34 weeks at the minute but I am being induced in 4 weeks time (as I need to come of medication before labour) and would really rather go on my own!

Planning to have some reflexology after I come off the drugs in the hope that will start me before I go in for induction so it's good to hear it has worked for others!

TinkerMaloo Wed 18-Jul-12 08:39:03

I tried everythingwith DC1 and NOTHING WORKS!!! - long induction at +14 days.

Please dont have castor oil or too much curry! You really could do without the runs at this point!?

SkaterGrrrrl Tue 14-Aug-12 18:15:33

We got DD1 out the same way we got her in. Sex at 10pm at night, woke up contracting at 6am. 9 hour labour, start to finish.

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Aug-12 18:17:37

Run, run from the zombie thread.

PS Nothing works, that much is true.

Blinkey91 Sat 08-Sep-12 21:11:55

For those who recommend sex, Were you having intercourse regularly anyway or think that sex only brought on your labour as your body wasnt used to it? blush

igirisu Fri 31-May-13 18:42:55

I am 39 weeks and have had sex twice this week, 3 orgasms a day (sorry to be vulgar shock and in the past couple of days i have had a litre of pure pineapple juice a whole fresh pineapple and a whole large tin of pineapple and have been walking about 2 miles a day. My midwife said if babies head was any lower he would fall out of me but still nothing! i get VERY strong BH and period pains, upset tummy and some vomiting but still no labour! One thing that made me feel closest to labour was a lot of housework and some fizzy strawberry laces from Sainsburys.

mel191187 Fri 31-May-13 21:12:23

I tried everything with my 1st and I was induced at 41+5 had him after a 21 hour labour. I'm now 39 +4 with my 2nd and looks like its going the same way. Babies come when they are ready

lovelygirl17 Sun 02-Jun-13 17:53:43

Pineapples! With dd I tried pineapples, sex and curry 3 days before edd. The following day I was in labour. I thought it was the curry with extra green chilli smile)) With ds (not really wanting to give birth before edd) my partner served pineapples after dinner 3 days before edd. That night I went into labour ha-ha. So pineapples, definitely...

Allthatglitters789 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:59:48

Sex worked for me with both my pregnancies, hadn't done the deed for a few weeks then was in labour 4 hours later with first and 3 hours later with second.

squidkid Thu 06-Jun-13 08:48:39

Nothing works, babies just come when they're ready!

All the people who claim long walks and sex bring labour on crack me up. If that was true surely we'd all have to abstain from sex and walking before we were due? I mean most women do just... go into labour... between 37 and 42 weeks. I was walking up to 5 miles a day still at the end of my pregnancy and still having fairly regular sex. Waters went at 40+3. It was a few hours after I grumpily went out for a meal and had a glass of wine and a rare steak... so you could try that, just because it beats pineapple grin

SuffolkNWhat Thu 06-Jun-13 08:52:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thegirliesmam Thu 06-Jun-13 08:56:18

MOVE MOVE MOVE!! dd2 arrived after a 5 mile walk to the drs (to see the mw which was handy) the last 5 minute stretch (usually) took 25 mins owing to the stinging i got when my cervix began to thin. mw said its normal and could mean the baby will arrive "today,tomorrow or in two weeks" but things are progressing. I was on the postnatal ward 12 hours later.

dd3 arrived after getting rid of my kids for a week to grandma during my 37th week. both my others arrived at 37+5. Bounced on a birthing ball, morning, noon, night (walk was planned but pelvis had other ideas). I bounced so much the room still bounced when i stood up off the ball (but under no circumstance attempt to eat a box of krispy kreme at the same time, bouncing and donuts are no good bed fellows). My contractions started at 37+5 (two hours after dd1 and dd2 arrived home...law of sod!) and she arrived at 37+6 (two and half hours later). Dont stop moving!!!

Allthatglitters789 Thu 06-Jun-13 11:26:33

Actually squidkid it does work, ask a midwife it's a
Proven fact. It worked for me both times.

squidkid Thu 06-Jun-13 19:50:03

Alas, if sex brought on labour I'd have been in labour at 37 weeks bang on! Was right horny throughout pregnancy grin

Allthatglitters789 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:02:39

Lol, I couldn't bare the thought of it with either of mine, but it was what the midwife recommended although apparently it won't work unless baby is ready. Glad I gave it a try as I really didn't want to be induced.

Badgerwife Fri 07-Jun-13 10:44:54

I don't think sex itself brings on labour, but an orgasm can! So whatever works for you to get there, if you get my drift...

MangoJuiceAddict Fri 07-Jun-13 22:04:13

I went into labour at 6am but the night before (I was 5 days overdue) I drank 4 cups of raspberry leaf tea, had sex twice (it literally exhausted me, I was like a breathless whale afterwards) and asked my MIL to make me the hottest Indian food possibly, she used this as a chance to show off her cookery skills and I ate literally every traditional punjabi dish (I am convinced the ghee butter in the paratha helped DD to slide out). I also had a glass of pineapple juice before bed. I went into labour at 6am, didn't go to hospital until lunchtime as I was so calm and just practised my breathing exercises at home and then had a water birth: DD was in my arms by 4pm. Just relax, have sex and eat curry! Birth is something to look forward to smile.

igirisu Tue 11-Jun-13 15:57:53

I just had a 45 minute reflexology session with clary sage oil followed by a 2 mile walk, lets see how this pans out! I am 40 weeks tommorow

Hmm, yep, I've been doing ALL of those things with absolutely no results. #3 is officially 3 days overdue despite her brothers both coming at 38 weeks! You'd think that after doing this two other times my body would just drop this one out, but she is nowhere near to coming earthside at this point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now