Signs of labour with 2nd baby?

(519 Posts)
mummyjanine Tue 28-Jan-14 12:54:01

Did you have any signs leading up to labour 2nd time round and if so what?

PastaandCheese Mon 03-Feb-14 08:16:12

Ooo! sprites Lewisham accepted you then? I was on your OP. Hurrah!

TallRedhead Mon 03-Feb-14 16:03:49

So true. I had a few mc's between DD and this pregnancy so spent most of this pregnancy hoping/wishing/praying all was well and now I feel ungrateful wanting baby to come early. 38 weeks tomorrow, dd came at 38+6 but that also means nothing. Each one is different.
Funny thing is I'll miss my bump as soon as it's gone - gosh I sound awful!!!

KatieChooChoo Mon 03-Feb-14 16:31:59

Spritesoright - you'd think I was close to kick off wouldnt you? Ive literally just started to have some brownish discharge (sorry to be graphic) but im hoping this is a good sign for progression.

I think at our stage we can read too much into things and wishful thinking takes over. Plus you cant help but compare aches and pains to the first time round.
The only thing we can be sure off is that the babies will arrive when they are ready....our lives are dominated by our kids!!! (im sure, like me, you wouldnt have it any other way)

Good luck and keep us posted xxx

spritesoright Mon 03-Feb-14 18:26:42

pastaandcheese that's so sweet, thanks for remembering. Yes, you and others were right that it was just a tick box exercise and I am set to give birth there (barring some other problem which I am more than aware might happen).
katiechoochoo I'd say you're definitely closer than me! Very jealous. Nada here.
I am trying to enjoy the one on one with my 2 year old before her little sister arrives. It's lively when she isn't winding me up smile

spritesoright Mon 03-Feb-14 20:44:22

I meant lovely (but she's also lively).
Out of curiosity- those with toddlers how are they adjusting/anticipating new baby's arrival?
DD was excited and accepted her new room eagerly until she realised I was putting the baby's clothes in her old dresser, at which point she burst into tears.
Oh dear. We also noticed her sucking her thumb which is not something she's ever done before.

PastaandCheese Mon 03-Feb-14 21:27:08

My DD is 2 too. She is mostly ok about the baby but she had a tantrum last week announcing I was only her mummy and not the baby's.

It took me completely by surprise as she has seemed happy about it until now.

KatieChooChoo Mon 03-Feb-14 23:59:01

Omg Spritesoright I also have a 2 year old, son. We're having another boy. I decided t find the sex out with this one so i could prepare my son for the arrival.
Ive spoke to a few friends who have more than one child, and they have all said the same............... they felt a tinge of guilt on child 1.
Ive felt like crying at times that he'll have to share the attention and center of the universe. But Ive been promised that once child 2 arrives everything slots into place.
Is that what you were getting at?

Still no further on with labour, my cervix appears to be on strike.

JBurge Tue 04-Feb-14 03:16:51

I think something could be happening in the Burge camp. I've been having regular non painful contractions for 24 hours. Plus I've had 3 major clear outs down below in 24 hours which is very unusual. Just now woken up by a leak of water, not much but enough to wake me up, and now contractions are becoming stronger and closer. Come on baby!!

MrsJK Tue 04-Feb-14 04:27:01

Come on baby burge grin

Only Insomnia for me shock

EugenesAxe Tue 04-Feb-14 04:41:16

I was much more aware of BH contractions... didn't lose the mucus plug so obviously the day before as with #1.

Sid77 Tue 04-Feb-14 04:44:11

With my 2nd DS(now 16 weeks) I had mild achey period like pains at 40+1 in the morning. It was when my waters burst on the sofa with a really big contraction that I knew something was definitely happening! From then it was 20 mins and 4 contractions until DS2 was born, at the bottom of the stairs, before the ambulance crew arrived. My advice to all pregnant with number 2 has been get thee to a hospital sharpish! Good luck all!

PastaandCheese Tue 04-Feb-14 06:32:05

Fingers crossed this is it for JBurge

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 08:02:55

Jburge - Hope the lack of update is a good sign. Best of luck... push, push ...PUSH

MrsJK - Dont shatter yourself out.

Sid77 - Jealous. I want that experience. Congratulations on your DS.
xxx

PastaandCheese Tue 04-Feb-14 08:25:44

Nah..... JBurge is having baby snuggles now. All second babies come early, are born quickly and only need 3 pushes.....
Right??!!

<settles head back into sand>

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 08:55:07

Pastaandcheese, any more than 3 pushes im blaming you http://static.mumsnet.com/emo/te/2.gif

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 08:56:00

that http;/static thingy is supposed to be grin face from the smileys below!

PastaandCheese Tue 04-Feb-14 09:17:18

Ha ha. You're ahead of me so you can let me know!

I'm figuring after I've given the 3 pushes and it hasn't worked I'll be too preoccupied to be very cross about it.

Mind you, what do I know? I spent the last minute of my first birth wailing 'what's that, what's that' whilst being reassured it was the baby's head. It was as though it was news to me that I was even having a baby. Surely the daftest question ever asked during childbirth?!

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 09:55:52

I know what you mean. I was gobsmacked when i had my ds. I was on all 4's so the midwife passed him round my front and laid him in front me, i just looked at him not knowing what to do and actually permission to touch him!

I then apologised for swearing.

Youre only 2 weeks behind me arent you? you could sprint ahead yet.

PastaandCheese Tue 04-Feb-14 10:31:06

There is a chance it might be a bit less shocking this time I guess!

I've dug out some baby grows DD didn't wear because they went over the head rather than buttoning all the way down. I couldn't work out how you would get them on the baby......Can't imagine being quite that careful with this one somehow.

spritesoright Tue 04-Feb-14 10:42:13

Ooh, JBurge very exciting. Yes, hoping you are having newborn snuggles now. I was inspired by your previous post and did some of my own ball bouncing with chocolate and wine last night. I thought I might be having some mild period pains but it's probably just gas. YY to visiting the toilet a LOT recently. I have a UTI as well so I'm taking antibiotics for that.
Pastaandcheese that's exactly what DD said when I had to explain to her that I would be the baby's mummy - "NO!" She seemed to think the baby's mummy would be taking the baby home at some point...
Katiechoochoo that is my concern as well and I've felt teary putting DD's old babygrows into the dresser knowing she will never wear them again. It's the guilt that I'll be replacing her! I started a thread about it in parenting but people came on to say that it's not taking something away from them, it's giving them a sibling. Which helped.
I am also praying that second labour is even mildly easier than first labour, which was grim.
"I coudln't work out how you would get them on the baby"
Have you read the PFB thread in parenting section? Made me laugh.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/1981512-Flipping-freezing-sterilising-and-the-just-plain-ludicrous-what-daft-things-did-you-do-with-your-PFB

TallRedhead Tue 04-Feb-14 11:11:47

JBurge exciting.....

spritesoright I like that idea that you are givingvthem a sibling. DD also 2 and very ecited about it all but I can't help feeling sad after she has been the centre of mine and DHs world for so long!

More brown show today - heres hoping smile

TallRedhead Tue 04-Feb-14 11:14:00

Sid777 that is my worry as DD came quick enough but at the bottom of the stairs shock

It is so tricky but I think I just knew when to go in last time so going with that!

KatieChooChoo Tue 04-Feb-14 11:50:04

Tallredhead, i thought i needed a poo last time, 15 mins after arriving at hospital my waters went and 5 mins after my ds popped out.
With that said I did spend 12 hours at home contracting, not wanting to 'bother' the mat unit as they had already sent me home feeling stupid at 1 cm!!

No further signs with this one. Im reading way too much into every little twinge.

Im contemplating the wine trick, i have no ball so will just bounce on the sofa, its as padded as my arse so should work!

spritesoright Tue 04-Feb-14 11:56:04

All these quick past births, yikes.
So funny to be getting excited about brown shows and period pains. But here we are...

JBurge Tue 04-Feb-14 12:32:39

Hi ladies

I'm still at home, things are progressing but not quite as quickly as I would like. CXs going from 5 mins apart back up to 7. They're defo the real thing though!! Struggling to talk through them now, so here's hoping DD may make it out before tomorrow's due date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now