Do fathers have a legal right to be at the birth?

(86 Posts)
Mummy2014 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:14:45

Just above really.

My ex left me at 7 months, but still wants to be involved with the baby. My due date is Wednesday & I have always said his actions between him leaving & when I go into labour would determine whether he was at the birth or not. Well, he's been very hot & cold with me, supportive 1 minute, ignoring my messages the next.
At present I don't feel like I want him at the birth, but when I said this to him he said I have no right to not allow him, and by doing that I am refusing to let him see his child. Which I am not!
My feelings after the birth do not matter, it's what's best for our child & I have always wanted them to have contact & a stong relationship!

He has been threatening to take me to court etc if he is not allowed at the birth, Would / could this go against me if it gets that far?

Sorry for the rant / long winded message

Xx

Flambards Sun 05-Jan-14 22:17:06

He has absolutely categorically no right whatsoever to be at the birth. End of.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 05-Jan-14 22:17:20

In a word no he has no right to be at the birth.

PinkandGreenStripes Sun 05-Jan-14 22:17:48

He has no right to be at the birth. YOU choose the person who can offer the best support.

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Sun 05-Jan-14 22:18:55

No right at all.
Childbirth isn't a spectator sport. The only people that should be there are those that will be supportive to the labouring woman.

stargirl1701 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:03

No.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:08

Agree with all the others

He has no right to be at the birth

Kendodd Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:12

Tell him you'll "see him in court then" or "fuck off" both work for me.

17leftfeet Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:44

He has no right whatsoever and the hospital will 'police' this for you so he can't see you

AuntieStella Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:48

No. You cannot be compelled to have anyone at your delivery.

Hospital wards are usually extremly good at preventing access by anyone the labouring mother has no explicitly approved.

HaroldTheGoat Sun 05-Jan-14 22:20:47

No right at all.

It's your decision, your not stopping him having a relationship with your child if you say no.

Take someone who will support you. thanks

He has no right to be there and the midwives won't let him in if you tell them not to.

Kittensmctavish Sun 05-Jan-14 22:21:41

Depending on the circs you may want to think very carefully about whether he is named on the birth certificate too. If he is then he will get parental responsibility and have the same rights as you to make decisions about the child in the future. Please take advice on this if you haven't already as it can have far reaching consequences.

All the best.

Casmama Sun 05-Jan-14 22:23:05

Absolutely not. Do not let him bully you.
Possibly worth telling your midwife when you get to hospital that you don't want him allowed entry if there is any chance he could find out you are in labour.

Casmama Sun 05-Jan-14 22:24:07

Sorry multiple xposts.

petalsandstars Sun 05-Jan-14 22:24:55

Agree with pp - birth partner ia there to support you. Not a spectator sport.

PinkandGreenStripes Sun 05-Jan-14 22:26:12

I agree. Think carefully about the birth certificate. He sounds like one of those twunts that will demand his "rights" as a father by making you miserable.

I saw a thread on this very subject a few years ago, in which some fabulous MNer gave some wonderful advice which I now repeat, more or less verbatim:

"If you don't want him there, tell the midwives, who will muscle him to the far side of fuck if he tries to force his way in".

Good luck- I hope all goes well. thanks

Skrifa Sun 05-Jan-14 22:27:50

No right whatsoever.

Mummy2014 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:29:43

Thank you all, that is what I had thought but the stupid arse has it in his head that it's his right & I'm in the wrong for not allowing it.
Kendodd - hahaha, the latter works for me, but unfortunately I have tried to remain calm & dignified & refuse to let him see / know he is winding me up.

Xx

ChasedByBees Sun 05-Jan-14 22:29:43

Not allowing him at the birth will have no bearing on any future court actions about your DC. Why would any woman want the man who has left her while she's heavily pregnant there at such a private vulnerable time? Don't let him in. He could suppress the positive hormones you need for labour. It could actually cause delays in the labour.

fedup21 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:31:02

God-he sounds like the last person you'd want at the birth; what an arse! Don't tell him when you've gone into labour!

fedup21 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:32:37

I'd tell him that as well-why would I want someone who left me to be at the birth when I am feeling vulnerable?! You want to remember this as a happy time!!

Mummy2014 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:36:56

I have said that to him, I will be at my most vulnerable & I need to be supported, I don't think he can do that - his reply (wait for it!!!)
We put our differences aside for the birth, get that out the way, then afterwards we hardly have to see each other :-O
What a c**t!!!
Xx

TalkativeJim Sun 05-Jan-14 22:37:09

No right whatsoever, and more to the point - it sounds as if he's the last person in the world you should choose to be there.

This IS about you. It is absolutely not a good idea to have ANYONE you do not feel 100% comfortable with, and supported by, in the room when you are labouring. Feeling stressed and unhappy is NOT conducive to labour progressing quickly and safely. Yes, it DOES make a difference- sometimes a massive one.

How would you feel if you consented to him being there and ended up with a stalled labour and a CS after not being physically able to relax and 'go with' your labour because he was there ?

It's SO personal. Nobody should EVER be at a labour to 'watch'. The thought is obscene.

Tell him that you would never risk the safe delivery of your child by placing its labouring mother in a stressful environment which may well prevent labour progressing as it should.

And don't put bully-boy on the birth cert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now