When do 'period-like cramps' stop being just that and count as actual contractions?

(12 Posts)
YoniMitchell Fri 03-Jan-14 20:18:37

Am 38+5 and have been getting pre-labour signs for most of his week. Period-like cramps have started this evening too (pretty gentle at the moment but clearly noticeable), when do I need to start counting/timing?

I realise I may be in this state for a little while yet but otherwise feel totally clueless!

Anyone else in the same boat?

MrsJ78 Fri 03-Jan-14 20:31:16

I'd like to know the answer to that myself! Have been having strong braxton hicks contractions since Boxing Day but they don't last more than a few hours. Am booked for a c-section next week but am going for a VBAC if things start off before then. I had an EMCS last time and did not go into labour or have any contractions etc so I have no idea! Best of luck!

MrsJ78 Fri 03-Jan-14 20:33:40

PS Am 38+2

AmberLeaf Fri 03-Jan-14 20:33:56

IME when they start to really bloody hurt!

I'm not pregnant, just going on memory.

YoniMitchell Fri 03-Jan-14 20:34:19

Thanks! I've downloaded a contraction timer app and keep opening/closing it, thinking I'm getting ahead of myself! Good luck with your new arrival MrsJ!

YoniMitchell Fri 03-Jan-14 20:36:18

Not bloody hurting yet, but if this was a 'normal period' I'd probably be moaning and reaching for the medicinal bar of chocolate! I reckon they're about once an hour max right now and only lasting for less than 10 secs. I'm going to be in this limbo for a while, aren't I?!

<impatient>

ouryve Fri 03-Jan-14 20:36:21

About 20 minutes before baby falls into the loo, IME blush

Good luck.

tabulahrasa Fri 03-Jan-14 20:36:43

When they go from...hmm, that's a bit crampy to Oh shit that hurts! grin

Not pregnant either - also going on memory.

MrsJ78 Fri 03-Jan-14 20:42:31

Wow - I had no idea you could get an app! So going to have to track that down. Mine last for flipping ages but sadly don't seem to be the real thing. Fingers crossed for us both - cant be too long now...

Fozziebearmum2be Fri 03-Jan-14 20:42:46

I had this for 2 weeks before baby made an appearance. Hate to be vague but you'll know when it's contractions. They didn't feel extra painful to me, just different to cramping as it comes in waves rather than dull ache.

AmberLeaf Fri 03-Jan-14 20:47:36

With my last birth, I had the regular 30-60mins periody type pains all day, then woke about 3am with serious pains.

Good luck, hope it's not too long for you. smile

OddFrog Fri 03-Jan-14 21:04:06

I went straight from 'ooh that's a bit uncomfortable' to 'oh look, it's a girl'. So you might get lucky! Keep an eye on your timing. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now