Time of admittance for ELCS

(31 Posts)
CrispyFB Sun 29-Dec-13 20:56:39

For those who had ELCS - do you remember what time you were expected at the hospital?

Reason I ask is that we have major childcare issues - we can probably find somebody to look after and take our school-aged DCs to school (sleepovers at friends etc) but have no idea what to do with our two year old (no family or friends to help etc and he is a handful too). Nursery would take him but they don't open until 7.30am and I have a horrible feeling that would be too late, especially as the hospital is half an hour away..

Goodness only know what would happen if I had preterm labour, I am trying not to think about that shock

Sarah2506 Sun 29-Dec-13 21:01:56

We had to call at 6am, and as they weren't busy we were in at 8am and DD arrived 956am. If they had been busy they would have said to come later. Friend went in at 1pm and had baby at 7pm.

CrispyFB Sun 29-Dec-13 21:13:57

Thanks!! 8am would be doable just about I think.

I vaguely recall with DS it was 7.30am (different hospital - C&W) hence my concern, and we were first on the list. Although due to a mess up with my blood results they needed fresh blood and results so I didn't deliver DS until 10.30am or so I think.

I wonder if you can negotiate your position on the list.. although I suspect they still want everyone in at the same time regardless.

I'll be at Watford General this time in case anyone else has experience of that specific hospital?

NorthEasterlyGale Mon 30-Dec-13 11:49:54

Don't know about your hospital I'm afraid but at ours we had to be in for 7.30am I think.

Didn't matter where on the list you were, you had to be in at the same time - first day I went in I got bumped to the next day due to the number of emergencies; boy was I hungry by the time they let me out! Went in the same time the next day and was third on the list so DS wasn't born until around 11.45am.

CrispyFB Mon 30-Dec-13 17:45:46

Definitely sounds like my last hospital in terms of times/rules! Frustrating.. and even more frustrating if you get bumped (although understandable, obviously emergencies come first!) With three other DC to find childcare for, chances are high we'd not manage to sort things out for a second day at such short notice and DH would miss the birth :-(

Only1scoop Mon 30-Dec-13 17:49:38

I had to be in at 7am.

Strongecoffeeismydrug Mon 30-Dec-13 17:53:01

I had to be in for 8.
But I know a few who got times of 9 and 10

CrispyFB Tue 31-Dec-13 00:15:28

8am I like. 7am I don't like!! Sounds like it could be any time really - I guess the only way to know will be to ask at my next consultant appointment!

Thanks all smile

Only1scoop Tue 31-Dec-13 08:17:26

Good luck smile

OhCaptainDarling Tue 31-Dec-13 13:10:19

7am at our hospital!

We have someone staying over the night before to take DD to nursery that morning. DH is going to try and collect her at the end of day.

Would it be worth asking where on the list you are? My hospital only does 3 ELCS a day, all done by lunch. Why not see if you can be put last on the list and ask if you can arrive at say 8 / 8:30am instead?

Would that work?

elliejjtiny Tue 31-Dec-13 18:04:15

That happened to me too North. I fasted for 23 hours, sat around all day in a hospital gown. DH wanted to go home and see the older DC's but the midwives said "no, you'll miss the birth if you leave". Finally at 11pm I was told I could eat for an hour and put my pj's on before fasting again.

I was in hospital anyway OP but I was taken from the antenatal ward to the labour ward at 8am and down to theatre at 9am.

Panzee Tue 31-Dec-13 18:06:22

I think it was 8am at mine.

cantheyseeme Tue 31-Dec-13 18:14:34

7.30ish ready for theatre at 9Ish .

SlinkyB Tue 31-Dec-13 18:27:51

8am for me in two weeks time.

CrispyFB Tue 31-Dec-13 20:43:32

Thanks all! Quite a bit of variety it seems.

I'm going to see if it's possible to negotiate something based on list position, but I guess it depends how flexible they are. In my experience, plenty of hospitals are seriously inflexible except when it comes to moving things around for their sometimes trivial (I'm not talking emergencies obviously!) benefit.

OhCaptainDarling - The problem with nursery is that it's two miles away and anyone who stayed with us that I could think of would not have a car and there's no public transport. Still, it's not a bad idea. My brother who lives 1.5 hours away could theoretically do it and still get in for work on time but it's a bit of a huge ask unfortunately within our relationship, and I know he would be very reluctant indeed. And can you imagine if they then bumped us back to the next day shock

NickNacks Tue 31-Dec-13 20:47:22

Where are you? I'm a childminder and I'd be happy to help and drop your little one at nursery. Not saying just me personally but another childminder locally might be an option?

CrispyFB Tue 31-Dec-13 20:49:05

I'm in Hemel. I was wondering about a childminder (would definitely be more than happy to pay) but given it would only be a one-off and the timing somewhat antisocial I didn't think it would be possible! Happy to be proven wrong though..

NickNacks Tue 31-Dec-13 20:52:31

Well given that I would do it, I think it's definitely a possibility. I'm full but my first mindees don't arrive until 8am so no clash of ratios. (I'm not that far in Berkshire but far enough!)

spookyskeleton Tue 31-Dec-13 20:55:10

Fairly sure mine was 8am. I remember dropping DS1 off at nursery at 7.30 when it opened and going straight to hospital.

DS2 was born at 10am so we didn't wait long.

PenguinsDontEatStollen Tue 31-Dec-13 21:04:57

It might be worth talking to one of the nursery staff about if there is any way of getting care earlier.

I know a couple with their second where the older DD's key worker agreed to have them drop her off at her house at 6.30 am and she then took her into work with her. I don't think that they asked directly that she do that, but they asked her if she knew any way of helping them get childcare for so early in the morning and she volunteered. They might also know local childminders who would do it as a one off.

level3at6months Tue 31-Dec-13 21:16:06

Fairly sure it was 9am for us, with the CS scheduled for 12. It was a very last minute thing though as DS was breech at 41+5 so not sure if that tagged us on to the end of earlier planned ones.

spookyskeleton Tue 31-Dec-13 21:34:59

Another thought - although not ideal - but, if the hospital is only 2 miles away, could your DH drop you off at the hospital, then take your youngest to nursery for 7.30 and then come back? It is unlikely that you will go to theatre before 9 so plenty of time.

stillenacht Tue 31-Dec-13 21:42:51

In at 10am, had DS2 at 4.13pmsmile

CrispyFB Tue 31-Dec-13 22:31:46

Thanks everyone!!

NickNacks - Thank you! Maybe I'll ask around some of the mothers at school and see if they know of any childminders. There's at least one childminder at the gates anyway so even if she can't help, she may well know of somebody who could. I don't really know any of the mothers there well enough to leave DS with them but I am fairly hopeful one or two might volunteer for a sleepover for the older DDs as they know them.

Penguins - That's not a bad idea either! I know our previous nursery where we used to live had staff that would babysit - this can't be that different really.

spookyskeleton - Unfortunately although the nursery is only two miles away, the hospital is a further 20 minutes on empty roads, let alone at peak time which is probably more like 40 minutes away. Although I am toying with the idea of begging to be third on the list, get the train and taxi to the hospital on my own and DH joins me after dropping DS off by about 8.15am. Surely nobody would operate before, say, 8.30am?

SlinkyB Tue 31-Dec-13 22:52:35

Funnily enough, I'm on another thread on here about elcs, and two ladies had theirs this am! Think they had to get to hospital for 7.30-8am, and one baby was born at 9.37 and the other 9.47, as they were both first on the list.

I've been asked to get there for 8am, but there will be upto three of us booked in for elcs. I guess you could ask to go last? Although I don't think you taking public transport on your own there sounds the best plan? It could be quite stressful and you'd be worrying about dh getting stuck in traffic wouldn't you? Such a difficult one! Def speak to nursery first I would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now