Have I, unknowingly, made this worse for myself?

(137 Posts)
sanityisamyth Thu 26-Dec-13 15:24:29

Afternoon!

I'm 39 weeks pregnant with my first and have been having fairly strong cramps and tensing since 11pm on Tuesday night. Went to maternity twice yesterday just to see how things were progressing. I'd got to 2 cms dilated yesterday afternoon on the second check up. Most of yesterday I was sitting upright-ish in a chair and just breathing through any tensing (mostly in my back as little one is back-to-back despite being perfect on Monday).

Since yesterday afternoon, back at home, I have been trying to get on all fours during each contraction/tensing to get him to turn and drop but still not a lot doing. The tensing doesn't seem to be getting stronger or more frequent and waters haven't gone. I have also been trying to spend as much time as possible resting on my side and kneeling up against the edge of the bed, or on all fours rotating my pelvis whilst there are no contractions.

So that's over 40 hours of contractions so far! Have I done anything to cause the first stage so be so long, or is this fairly normal?!

I really don't want to go back to maternity again to be checked for them to tell me that I'm only another 1 or 2 cms dilated since 24 hours ago! My waters haven't gone yet either.

selfdestructivelady Thu 26-Dec-13 18:49:43

Sounds exactly like my labors when they are three minutes apart go back in for a check but otherwise try and rest.

sanityisamyth Thu 26-Dec-13 18:54:42

I hope so Framey smile am lying on my side at the moment watching shit TV to take my mind off things!! Might go and have a nice hot bubble bath in a mo too.

Thanks SDL - the pains in my back are horrible sad I keep telling myself it means it's one fewer until little one arrives! Wise words from a friend! Some contractions are really bearable and almost painless. Some make me want to cry sad

selfdestructivelady Thu 26-Dec-13 18:58:43

The back pains are horrid you have my sympathy and it's even worse when it feels like your not getting anywhere.

sanityisamyth Thu 26-Dec-13 19:04:57

True SDL. Little one is going to owe me a very large G&T when he's 18 to make up for it!! ;)

BetterWithCranberryWensleydale Fri 27-Dec-13 07:36:58

Any progress?

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 07:51:23

Morning BWCW - contractions are still getting more and more painful (although I'm learning to deal with them quietly so as not to wake the neighbous!) and are about 3 mins apart. I phoned maternity unit at about 1 this morning and they said because waters haven't broken try more paracetamol and hot bath. Contractions got worse in the bath as was on my back but still no broken waters sad

selfdestructivelady Fri 27-Dec-13 08:00:23

My waters broke during delivery twice I'd go up and get checked personally. Your doing great.

yourcruisedirector Fri 27-Dec-13 08:01:53

Morning sanity!

WTAF? Contractions at 3 minutes? You should go in! My waters didn't break until I was pushing; it had nothing to do with the progress of labour. I was told to go in when I had three contractions every ten minutes. I duly reached that stage and phoned and was told I must be in early labour (I was hypnobirthing and not making any noises). They told me to wait and phone back later. I did so, and was told that I was in the early stages. In the end I just decided to go in. I was 8.5cm by the time I got there!

Good luck smile

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 08:03:10

Thanks SDL - it's getting to the point of exhaustion now and just want little one out. Might well head towards maternity again. I've tried positioning myself to put pressure on bump etc to encourage waters to go but nothing doing. Getting very difficult not to push against contractions too sad

yourcruisedirector Fri 27-Dec-13 08:05:46

You're doing really well and no wonder you're tired. Back to back labours can be really tough, but it sounds like you're really making progress now.

selfdestructivelady Fri 27-Dec-13 08:06:50

Definitely head in honey it sounds like you are exhausted and they can give gas and air before you are past 4 cms just so you know. But you gotta push for it.

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 08:07:09

Thanks YCD - dreading turning up and them telling me I'm no further on than I was on Wednesday though! I'll give them a quick call and tell them I'm coming in smile

yourcruisedirector Fri 27-Dec-13 08:12:18

I know the feeling! But if your contractions are progressing to every three minutes then your body has done a lot of the hard work already!

TobyLerone Fri 27-Dec-13 08:17:16

I hope this is it for you. A long latent stage is killer!

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 08:17:25

True. I really hope so! Will update again later smile

DirtyThree Fri 27-Dec-13 08:23:46

Good luck!!

Weegiemum Fri 27-Dec-13 08:27:50

Hoping its good news this morning!

My latent phase was c. 48h with dc1, then 37h of "active labour". She was in the right position when I got to the hospital but after 5h had turned to OP (back to back). I was really well looked after, though after 24h active labour I needed the syntocin drip for a couple of hours, and as dd1 was 9lb12oz, and came out face up (OB called it "face to pubis", but midwife said she was a "stargazer") eventually had a ventouse delivery. This was all in my 39-40 week, she was born on 6/2, having been due 10/2.

Being upright, the gym ball, walking around, all fours are all good. But when I went to hospital they talked it through with me and I was given diamorphine, to give me a rest break as I hadn't slept properly for 60 hours and needed to be rested for the delivery.

Wishing you all the best over the next wee while - won't be too long until you've got your lovely baby in your arms!

99redbafoons Fri 27-Dec-13 08:33:58

Good luck OP, back to back labour is hard! You're doing brilliantly!!

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 09:59:11

Hi everyone. Just back from maternity and still only 2 cms dilated so still could be a while longer sad midwife happy everything is moving in the right direction still though but he's still back-to-back. Am back slumped over the side of the bed to encourage him down. Fingers crossed it works!!

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 10:04:34

Hi weegiemum - that doesn't sound much fun but at least you got there in the end. Was obviously looking a bit disheartened in the hospital just now as the midwife was trying to make everything sound as positive as possible, which did make me feel better smile

I'm walking as much and as far as possible - it definitely helps as I can't go far without another contraction! Leaning up against the edge of the bed is definitely helping too. I might even manage a few minutes kip like this too :D haven't had any decent rest since Tuesday sad

MavisG Fri 27-Dec-13 10:16:22

Sanity you're doing brilliantly. Sorry about the lack of sleep; I had my 2nd after 4 days of no sleep (not due to labour itself but was in v busy induction bay with a lot of other women). The hormones carried me once he was born & I felt great. He's still a bobby dazzler at 10mo. Hang in there x

MavisG Fri 27-Dec-13 10:19:18

A hypnobirthing technique is to visualise a flower opening, really see it. And talk to your baby, ask him or her to shift round a bit. Good luck.

It is tough going, i really hope things get going for you soon! Good luck! thanks

MavisG Fri 27-Dec-13 10:21:25

Oh and - cm dilation tells nothing on it's own. My sister went from 2 to 9/10 in one cx. I declined the VEs - same as waters breaking, there's a correlation with advancing labour but that's all.

sanityisamyth Fri 27-Dec-13 10:45:24

Ohhhh thanks everyone smile

Mavis - that is very encouraging about your sister and really good about your son smile I'm talking to little one a lot, and so is my husband so I hope it helps!! I'm still letting gravity play its part here - starting to get slightly sore knees though, despite 2 pillows. Might change to sitting/squatting for a bit!

Thanks WoW - it's nice knowing there are some positive thoughts out there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now