experiences of natal hypnotherapy?

(56 Posts)
PinkParsnips Mon 21-Oct-13 18:55:03

I've bought the cd and listened to it for the first time today (the Maggie Howell one).

I didnt think it was something I'd personally go for, but as the big day gets closer I'm thinking I'll try anything!

I just wondered what people's views were after the event on whether it helped or not? I've done a thread search and can see lots of people planning to try it but not much of people's thoughts afterwards on how it had actually helped...

Shruggy Sun 27-Oct-13 21:18:27

Very interesting to hear people's experiences on this. I am starting hypnobirthing classes this week and really hope it works for me - and for you too PinkParsnips!

PinkParsnips Tue 29-Oct-13 16:32:25

Thanks Shruggy and you!

I've been trying to listen to the cd every day but have to admit I'm finding it irritating for some reason and keep falling fast asleep! (where I'm not even waking up at the end).

I like the idea of it being just one 'tool' in your box of tricks though and it cant do any harm!

Bumpiemalumpie Sun 03-Nov-13 20:06:39

hi, does anyone have any app or audio book recommendations? tia

Thatsnotmyfigure Tue 05-Nov-13 15:47:55

It definitely helped me. I was pretty much ignored on the over-busy ward as I was so relaxed and coping. The birth was something I wasn't scared of in the run up which was a big plus!
It did mean I was given pethidine and left on my own till fully dilated when they rushed me off to labour ward. So next time I will be more assertive!
I think it helps to involve your partner in the relaxation techniques so worth getting the book and going through the exercises as well as the cd. Good luck!

aggiepie Tue 05-Nov-13 19:10:51

Hypnobirthing and reading/yoga/antenatal classes/having a doula all help with feeling calm, relaxed and informed when going into labour which reduces pain and anxiety and helps one cope with whatever labour throws at you. Ultimately some labours are more complicated than others and sometimes intervention is inevitable, but the calmer and better prepared and supported you can be the better.
I read Mongan book, listened to cd, read lots of other books, did nct course, stayed fit throughout pregnancy and had a doula for first birth. Midwives were struck by how calm I was despite needing transfer into hospital plus intervention for 4 hour 2nd stage. I only realised sometime later that I had not had any pain relief - at no time did it cross my mind that I might need some.
I think anything that helps you stay positive and not fearful of labour is useful. I am having doula again for 2nd birth - if you can afford one they are well worth it. If you can't afford one then I think doula uk can sometimes help.

Ginfox Sat 09-Nov-13 16:45:05

With DC1 I did hypno CD (Maggie Howell) every day for the last month or so. When it came to the event however, my contractions were so fast right from the start that I never really had a chance to get into the right mindset IYSWIM. When I got into the MLU the lovely student midwife talked me through each contraction, and it helped to focus on her voice, it calmed me down, and I managed to remember what I'd practised.

So I think it did help (and I plan to do it again in 5 months time!) but so hard to know when you've only done it once. But even if it didn't make a difference it was a lovely way to spend an hour every afternoon in the last month of pregnancy, followed by a little nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now