3rd degree birth with DC1 - do I go for a vb or cs?

(37 Posts)
Chilli81 Wed 16-Oct-13 18:51:32

I posted this in my antenatal group but didn't get replies. Basically I'm 32 weeks and had a doctors appointment today to discuss options for labour and was told that there's no way I'll be allowed to go to the birth centre as I had a third degree tear last time. I guess I understand the reasons and its better to be safe than sorry but I did have my heart set on the birth centre. I didn't get the chance last time because it was full on the day. However I can deal with that.
What I'm most concerned about is whether to go for a vb or cs. The doctor said that if you've had a 3rd degree and have another the risk of long term incontinence is higher. The doctor also said that I can ask for a cs at any point leading up to my due date because of the tear and that some women would rather choose that option than take the risk. Did any of you have a 3rd or 4th degree tear with your first? What did you do/what are you planning on doing this time? Any experiences appreciated. I'm very confused confused

sleepywombat Thu 24-Oct-13 05:07:27

Also, I never even considered C section, didn't even know it was an option for me really. Nobody mentioned it.

TwoTearsInABucket Thu 24-Oct-13 05:22:49

Dd was back to back as well. I was also lying on my back. Going to try to keep active this time.

Mondayschild78 Thu 24-Oct-13 12:30:34

TwoTears we are in a similar position, I'm nearly 37 weeks and also trying for VB but if overdue straight to section no induction. I wondered if you already have the section date booked? Mine hasn't been yet but I am thinking about following up with the consultant to ask for a date now.

TwoTearsInABucket Thu 24-Oct-13 20:31:45

Monday, I''ve been booked in to see the consultant at 40 weeks if the baby hasn't arrived and she will do a stretch and sweep. I suspect on that day she will book the cesarean just in case. She said I would have to wait till 42 weeks. That's what happened with DD who was vbac. She arrived at 41 weeks the day I was meant to go in for pre-op appt.

According to the consultant her sweeps are famous, I did ask if that was in a good way. Not looking forward to that!

Mondayschild78 Thu 24-Oct-13 21:52:55

Ah thanks for the info. Same here actually I have an appointment and sweep booked for 40 weeks and told my situation will be 'reviewed'. I have today sent a letter to the lead consultant requesting a C Section date for between 40-41 weeks as would prefer something that I know is booked (although I'm probably being a bit over-zealous!)

Good luck with the delivery and 'famous' sweep wink

TwoTearsInABucket Thu 24-Oct-13 22:00:54

I hope you get what you ask for. I understand your thoughts on it. I had initially asked for elcs but was told it wasn't recommended. It really sent me into a tailspin. I am now comfortable (just) wIth vbac but am still waking up very early every morning thinking about birth. Gah. Nothing is straightforward. Best of luck!

Mondayschild78 Fri 25-Oct-13 15:58:48

TwoTears I am surprised they didn't agree to an elcs given that you have previously had a section?

Following my letter to the lead consultant yesterday which outlined my wishes very clearly and reasons behind it ie. VB up to 40 weeks and then I would like a C Section booked for between 40-41 weeks (w/c 18th Nov) I have today received an email from him saying he is happy with my plan, is booking me in for an appointment with him on 6th Nov when he will book the elcs for w/c 18th Nov.

I feel so much happier knowing that I will get this rather than wait until my 40 week appointment and then be told yes you can have a section but you have to wait until 42 weeks as it's too short notice to book it.

If it is stressing you out TwoTears would it be worth putting something similar in writing to your consultant and pushing for an elcs for slightly earlier? I do wish you the very best of luck and sounds like we will be having them around the same time!

Chilli so sorry to derail the thread a little but I hope that sharing my experiences on this thread after having a third degree tear is useful to you and perhaps others in a similar situation. Best wishes for what you decide to do smile

Chilli81 Sat 26-Oct-13 08:15:50

Hi Monday not at all. it's really helpful reading about other people's experiences and their considerations. I have a midwife appt this week. I've requested a 38 week appt with the doctor as I'd like a bit more info now that I know my previous year was a 3c. I didn't have that info at my last appt. I also went to have a chat with the birth centre who said that they wouldn't consider me high risk and that they've dealt with loads of women who've had third degree tears in the past. they were a bit critical of the doctors for saying I was high risk. I got the sense there's a real clash of cultures at my hospital. anyway I've also booked in to go on a tour and info evening with my dp too the birth centre next week so I'll hopefully be as informed as possible when I finally do make my choice. good luck Monday and twotears (can't help chuckling at the irony of the abbreviated version of your name) wink

Mondayschild78 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:42:27

Good luck to you too chilli and IMO the healthcare professionals all have their own differing opinions and agendas so best thing you can do is research as much as possible and decide what you want then make it very clear (in writing if you have any doubts like I did).

smile

TwoTearsInABucket Sun 27-Oct-13 16:39:09

Ha ha, yes, how ironic about my user name grin I hope there are no more tears or tears!
Because I had a successful vbac, albeit with a tear, they advocate another vb. especially as I have absolutely no continence problems.
I think after reading about your success with the letter monday that I might request am earlier c-section than 42 weeks because I am six days ahead of my dates but because wasn't 7 days ahead they didn't change my due date.
I was still so much happier after the vbac than the c-section, but the c-section was after failed induction and 2 weeks in hospital with preeclampsia.

ktbeegirl Thu 06-Mar-14 17:19:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

macaroonlady Fri 06-Jun-14 22:57:11

You might find this blog useful:

3rd4thdegreetear.wordpress.com

Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now