Paracetamol / ibuprofen withdrawal?

(11 Posts)
Rollermum Tue 08-Oct-13 11:41:06

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but wondered if anyone had headaches after stopping taking painkillers?

I was taking paracetamol and ibuprofen up to four times a day for the past two weeks post birth - had episiotomy and tear. Now the discomfort is less I've tapered off to one a day for past two days, nothing today and have big headache. Internet suggests could be because of the painkillers but unclear (as wasn't taking them for headache).

I'm also on iron tablets ongoing and ran out the last two days. Got more now, but maybe it's that?

Nigglenaggle Tue 08-Oct-13 12:24:54

Definitely its recognised you can get 'brufen withdrawal headaches. Just gradually continue weaning yourself off & see a doctor if they don't go away, but nothing to worry about at the moment smile

Rollermum Tue 08-Oct-13 13:35:26

Thanks! Reassuring, but will talk to Dr if headache doesn't pass.

PurplePoppySeed Tue 08-Oct-13 15:59:35

Could it also be tiredness? I certainly got headaches once I was really really sleep deprived, getting better now my body is used to less sleep though!

LadyMedea Tue 08-Oct-13 16:47:14

I was thinking rebound headache too... But this NHS page says you don't get them from taking painkillers for other conditions. How queer.... Try hydrating and if it doesn't go head to the drs... You can still get pre-eclampsia post birth so always worth getting checked out.

toastandmarmiterocks Tue 08-Oct-13 17:28:19

I'd mention it to your midwife, get her to check your blood pressure & urine. Are you having any visual disturbances? It may well just be the withdrawal of ibuprofen & paracetamol but good idea to check.

Rollermum Wed 09-Oct-13 04:44:09

Thanks both. I have got slightly elevated BP so will bear it in mind. I think in signed off from MW but will double check with HV. No visual disturbances or anything, and yes lack of sleep could definitely be a factor.

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 09-Oct-13 06:02:25

Are you breastfeeding? If so then up your fluid intake dramatically, I got headaches while bfing because I didn't realise how much extra I needed to drink.

Rollermum Wed 09-Oct-13 09:04:01

Yes I am - I drink a lot but will make an effort to have more just in case. Thanks!

mummytime Belgium Wed 09-Oct-13 09:15:54

Just to add, try to get some fresh air. Even if just sitting outside (well wrapped up) for 15-20 minutes can help a lot.

But if your thinking is unfuzzy enough to realise you have a head ache, I think you are doing well.

Rollermum Thu 10-Oct-13 00:15:14

Hey Mummytime - good point - I have been doing one or two long walks a day to stay sane and get LO to sleep so hopefully it is helping!

The headache is particularly bad tonight - will be speaking to HV about it tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now