Induction by ARM?

(37 Posts)
midori1999 Mon 30-Sep-13 18:50:29

I'm booked for induction by ARM on Weds. On examination today my cervix is 1 long, 3cm dilated and very soft. (Not sure of position) this will be my 6th labour.

If ARM doesn't bring on contractions then they'll start the drip.

Would anyone mind sharing their experience of induction by ARM and whether it started contractions or a drip was needed and also timescale from membranes being ruptured and contractions starting if possible?

Thank you.

elcranko Thu 03-Oct-13 16:51:05

Congratulations! You did great, well done! smile

hazchem Thu 03-Oct-13 11:28:49

congratulations! It's sounds like you did an amazing job.
Enjoy the snuggles.

TobyLerone Thu 03-Oct-13 10:23:53

Sounds like you did great! Congratulations again flowers

midori1999 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:20:59

Thanks again. smile

So... They started the drip at 7, although the monitor was showing some contractions before they started it, but I couldn't feel them. After 45 mins of only 2ml of synto per hour on the drip baby started showing signs of distress and I was over contracting, so they turned it off again. Contractions carried on but again, I couldn't feel them and they weren't lasting long, so at 10pm they examined me (I was 4cm dilated and fully effaced) and put the drip back on for 45 mins after which time I started over contracting again.

So, no drip but I carried on contracting by myself and baby was very happy. The contractions weren't painful at all for quite a while and I managed on the birthing ball with no pain relief until about 12.30 when I started gas and air. Contractions got very painful very fast and I asked to be examined at about 12.50 as I felt a bit 'pushy' I was 8cm and off my face on gas and air, begging for an epidural/diamorphine/any pain relief going. They tried to take the gas and air from me and I apparently went a bit mad and insisted on having it back.

DS was born at 1.19 after not much pushing while I was near hysterical. blush he's doing absolutely great and luckily I can laugh at the birth, I can vaguely remember the obstetrician saying 'there's not much point in an epidural my love, you're having a baby' as I was pushing. (I had told them I would an for an epidural at transition but definitely didn't want one)

Not sure if the bit of drip I had made the end more painful or if I was just being a wimp, but it was both my best and worst birth... grin

5madthings Thu 03-Oct-13 07:56:17

Yay congratulations, welcome to the world Hugo smile

TobyLerone Thu 03-Oct-13 07:52:10

Congratulations! How lovely grin

Can't wait to hear all about it.

RedKites Thu 03-Oct-13 07:37:08

Congratulations! thanks

Mumraathenoisylion Thu 03-Oct-13 07:29:52

Congratulations!!! grin Looking forward to hearing what happened.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 03-Oct-13 06:34:19

Congratulations!

4athomeand1cooking Thu 03-Oct-13 06:19:49

Hugo... What a lovely name.

Congratulations thanks

LamaDrama Thu 03-Oct-13 03:55:49

grin congratulations to you all xx

midori1999 Thu 03-Oct-13 03:32:20

Thanks for the support and help.

Baby Hugo was born at 1.19am weighing 7lbs 2oz. The time between last posting and him being born was, erm... Interesting? grin

Ill update properly tomorrow.

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 22:35:38

How's it going?

elcranko Wed 02-Oct-13 18:48:34

Really hope that the drip gets things going soon OP. Good luck x

midori1999 Wed 02-Oct-13 18:12:54

Well I've been off the monitor for a while now. Had a walk around the hospital, bounced on the ball enthusiastically and still nothing sadly.

There are time restrictions as to how long they'll leave me not just due to infection risks, but I've had to come off a treatment dose of clexane (blood thinner) to be induced and they can't start that again until after labour and also can't leave me off it for too long, so they're going to start a drip. Just a low dose and if contractions get started they'll take me off it again to see if I progress on my own.

DH has popped home to get the DC sorted and put them to bed. It was awful leaving DD this morning, she's only 2 so doesn't understand properly. At least her Daddy can put her to bed. The others are older so know what's going on and don't really mind being left at all. In fact, they were probably looking forward to it... grin

5madthings Wed 02-Oct-13 14:56:08

Oh and yes if baby is fine get the monitor off and ask for intermittent monitoring! Get up and mobile and go for a walk etc. they have to monitor you for a bit once they brk waters to check babyis ok,but then it can come off if all is well.

5madthings Wed 02-Oct-13 14:54:28

It varied each time, with ds2 it took a while, ds3 again a while but I had lots of niggles and then when it finally got going out was full on.

Ds4 was very quick and dd they didn't get going properly hence the drip.

You can ask for them to wait longer before the drip rather than start after four hours, I did wit ds2 and they were umming and ahhing about the drip with ds3 but my midwife said no (as did I) she said you are knackered, have a sleep, Gert some energy and then it will get going, she was right!

You can bargain with the em if you and baby are fine for longer, or just refuse. I think up to 24hrs is OK after that the risk of infection goes up?

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 02-Oct-13 14:18:32

Just wanted to day I'm here cheering you on midori.

Keep bouncing grin

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 14:11:12

Yes, do ask. Sometimes I wonder if they just keep us on the monitors so long because it keeps us immobile and out of trouble. Obvious medical reasons notwithstanding, of course!

Honestly, though, the drip can be nasty. If it's necessary, it's a good thing. But if being mobile would help labour progress without it, it's what I would want to do. I'm a belligerent bugger, though, who wouldn't allow the MWs/drs to tell me what to do without a good reason. Sometimes it just seems that they do things because it's next on their 'procedure', regardless of whether they're necessary.

Then again, I'm not the one in hospital right now, being induced! Best of luck, OP!

midori1999 Wed 02-Oct-13 14:10:31

Thanks 5madthings. Do you mind me asking if you know how long it took from your waters breaking to contractions starting? It's been about 1hr 45 now for me (DH set a timer.... grin

5madthings Wed 02-Oct-13 14:05:03

Four of mine were induced by arm, it was fine, I only needed the drip for one and that was because she was back to back, once the drip was working it only took three hours and I managed with just gas and air and staying a mobile.

Woith the others arm worked on its own and I then laboured in the bath and had ds4 in birhring pool.

Labours were seven hours, three hours, under one hour and then the last one wait the drip was three hours.

Good luck. X

midori1999 Wed 02-Oct-13 14:01:30

I haven't asked. blush

The consultant is due back to check me in about 20 mins, so ill ask then and see if I can get more mobile. It's a bit of a pain, but I do find it reassuring tbh.

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 13:52:14

Why are they monitoring you?

midori1999 Wed 02-Oct-13 13:51:29

Thanks.

I'm not sure how long ill need to stay on the monitoring, but for the forseeable I think. I'm on a birthing ball now and the midwife put an extra belt on the monitor to keep it in place for me so I can bounce.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Wed 02-Oct-13 13:09:42

How long do they want to monitor you for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now