Anyone ever been let out this soon

(56 Posts)
Livvylongpants Sat 28-Sep-13 11:01:14

I had my son yesterday morning at 2.11am. Quick birth, second baby, small 1st degree tear that required no stitches.

Baby was well ( very handsome) and 8 lb and half an ounce.

After having him I had a shower etc and got our stuff together to move from birthing room to post-natal ward. At this point the midwife comes in and says oh no you guys can go straight home! It was 4am!!

She said she had to check my bleeding at 4.11am and then we would be on our way, to be honest I was skin shock so t 4.20 after having bleeding checked we packed the baby up and came home and didn't argue it.

We have appointment on Monday for his newborn checks and the midwife visited us in the afternoon to check him over but has anyone else ever left hospital so soon after giving birth, it seemed to soon to me but I was so exhausted and shocked I just did it!!

Everyone seems very shocked at how quickly we were discharged

MummyJetsetter Sat 28-Sep-13 11:43:52

Wow that was soon! Good though, at least they checked you over. x

noblegiraffe Sat 28-Sep-13 11:48:22

I guess they didn't have any beds, I thought you had to be in for 6 hours.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 28-Sep-13 11:48:55

My friend was discharged 2 hrs later too! She said it was nice being at home but she felt a bit isolated wrt breastfeeding support.

AmberLeaf Sat 28-Sep-13 11:49:18

I was at home 2 hours after I had my second baby.

My GP came later that day to do the check on me and the baby, the hospital arranged that for me.

In my case it was because I wanted to get back home to my other little boy, I saw no point in staying in [in a stuffy noisy ward!]

I think it was quite unusal though, my community midwife said they were all talking about me just getting up and dressed after having such a big baby too.

Congratulations flowers

AmberLeaf Sat 28-Sep-13 11:50:11

I will add that I lived pretty close to the hospital which helped with being home within 2 hours.

pinkmagic1 Sat 28-Sep-13 11:54:00

I thought the minimum was 6 hours. This is what happened with my 2nd but it was 7 years ago so things may have changed. Congratulations.

MoominsYonisAreScary Sat 28-Sep-13 14:16:41

I guess with so many people having home births now they dont see the point in people staying if all has gone well and they are happy to go home (maybe)

Congratulations

onadietcokebreak Sat 28-Sep-13 14:19:55

i was out within 4hrs. Still under the effects of pedithidine and no sleep for 4 days. It was stay at hosp or home. No way was i staying there!

Shellywelly1973 Sat 28-Sep-13 14:22:24

I have heard of 2 hour discharges especially in the last year or so. But not at 4am!

The maddest story was a friend who was discharged 22 hrs after a c/s!

Look after yourself.

Congratulations!:-)

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 28-Sep-13 14:23:04

I was offered to leave straight after having DD2, and would've loved to, but unfortunately we didn't have a car seat, so had to stay in overnight.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 28-Sep-13 14:24:33

Shelly my local hospital is considering offering day case Caesarian sections. (OFFERING, nothing more)

gintastic Sat 28-Sep-13 14:24:33

I was out 3 hours after having DD2. But I wanted to, they would have admitted me if I wanted.

harrygracejessica Sat 28-Sep-13 14:28:12

I was out 24 hours after my 2nd c - sec too (was twins so I left and they stayed in scbu) My first was a planned one at 11.20 and I would have been happy to go home that evening too.

Wickedgirl Sat 28-Sep-13 16:19:32

Wow, I would love to be out that quick. I thought it was 6 hours min too

SuffolkNWhat Sat 28-Sep-13 22:17:39

Our MLU offers 2 hour discharge. I'm requesting a side room if available to establish breastfeeding.

Pachacuti Sat 28-Sep-13 22:23:17

I could have been out after three and a half hours with DC2 except that we didn't have the carseat in the car yet, so DH had to go home for it and so it was another hour or so.

MrsDeVere Sat 28-Sep-13 22:25:57

Congratulations.

IMO its not good practice to discharge in the early hours.

I had my last two at home but the MWs were around for a while afterward and I didn't have to get dressed, in a car and get home.

Seems a bit mean to kick you out at 4am.

I was discharged with my first after three hours, but with my second it was the middle of the night and they said I had to stay till the morning. It does seem a bit mean to kick you out at 4am. I couldn't wait to get home to be honest!

chocolatespiders Sat 28-Sep-13 22:30:44

I was discharged like this. I wanted to stay in with dd2 for a rest smile but it didn't happen as no beds.
Was very strange as got to hospital 10cm dilated and dd was born within 5 mins then we were home few hours later Felt like we had been to Argos and bought a baby Annabel.
I thought Comm midwife would give us priority the next day but she didn't and I had to phone to check she was coming as was having problems feeding.

onadietcokebreak Sat 28-Sep-13 22:47:32

my discharge was 3am!

StandingInLine Sat 28-Sep-13 23:09:00

Wish I had been let out that soon!! Both births i was in for about 2 days afterwards . And both were very straightforward. Count yourself lucky smile and congrats!!

littleoaktree Sat 28-Sep-13 23:14:04

I was told I could be discharged 1 hr after I had ds2 (birth centre v v straightforward quick labour) but annoyingly we had to wait another 2 hrs for the mws to complete the paperwork - dh was pacing up and down we couldn't wait to get home.

princesscupcakemummyb Sun 29-Sep-13 16:14:20

congrats Livvylongpants with my 1st baby she was born at 6 in the morning and i was discharged at 8.30 that morning they do seem to rush you out now with my second she was born 11.40 pm and had to stay over night they wouldnt discharge me even know i would have liked to have come home they said it was to late didnt get discharged till 12 the next day

Livvylongpants Sun 29-Sep-13 16:27:38

It was the Midwife led birthing centre which may have been why, quick labour, they were going to send me home at 10 as only 1cm, glad they didn't as he probably would have been born In the car lol.

Luckily there was a 24 hour tesco nearby as I hadn't pumped yet so thought u had best get some formula or else no food for baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now