been told have to have a c-section. Any tips?

(32 Posts)
MET128 Sat 21-Sep-13 21:36:53

Hi all,

I have been told that I have to have a c-section. I am REALLY not looking forward to it, the idea of being cut open scares me rigid! hmm

I wondered if anyone might have any tips for going into hospital/during op/ afterop & recovery?

Thanks
smile

Midwifeandmum Mon 23-Sep-13 14:56:58

Soh has pretty much summed it up in her post. I had two emer sections so i dont kno what the sensation feels like whilst having the section as i had a general anaesthetic both times. But i tell my ladies it feels like pressure but not sore.
Take your time to recuperate... it doesnt matter if ur showered that night or not, ull have a bed bath to clean u up. I wont lie... u will feel uncomfortable after the spinal wears off. Always take ur pain relief and enjoy the morphine lol. It will let u have a little sleep.

Dont be in a rush to get catheter out as ull need to wee alot more afterwards. It would take me 20 mins to get out of bed for a wee, nearly had an accident lol

Sleep propped up high... its easier to get in and out of bed.
Your wound will feel really tight but that will pass after your stitches are taking out after about 5 days.

As for the wind..... it can be really uncomfortable, i had it the first section. Take a pill called Windeeze..... it really helps. Its only caused because the docs have been rummaging around in your body and disturbed ur intestines.

Hope this helped Zoe xxx

MET128 Wed 02-Oct-13 09:38:07

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm trying not to worry too much!
Your tips will really help.

i've started making lists of things I need to take to hospital/do already!

not long now smile

ClaireLouise1986 Fri 04-Oct-13 08:22:46

I found out yesterday my baby is extended breech at 38+5 so i've been booked in for a section on Monday.All of this information is brilliant & has put me at ease a bit more than anything the hospital has said smile

Meglet Fri 04-Oct-13 08:40:41

I second the advice to rest, and keep resting. I ended up in a mess after my EMCS as I overdid it, and bf was a distaster. When I had my planned cs I stayed in my pj's for 2 weeks and pretty much banned visitors. It was lovely smile.

When they discharge you get the nurse to write down what time you need to take your meds on each box, at a guess they'll prescribe a combination of paracetamol and diclofenac. My brain was shot to pieces so I couldn't figure out when to take them and didn't get the benefit.

And don't pig out after the op. The aneasthetic takes a while to get out of your system and can make you sick / constipated.

Tiredemma Fri 04-Oct-13 08:48:12

I had EMCS 4 weeks ago due to extended breech presentation.

Echo all the EXCELLENT advice on here.

The only thing that I will add - This was my first ever time in any kind of op theatre- I have to say that from the time I entered the theatre until I left recovery, the staff all made me feel like I was the most important person in the world at that point.
I cannot describe how 'safe' I felt.

best of luck x

MyDarlingClementine Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:04

Do youself a massive favour and get a co sleeping cot, so you dont have to twist or sit up in the night with baby, it was THe KEY TO MY RECOVERY, this is because I was physically better with it - and also I got MORE SLEEP.

look on ebay, get one, they hold their re sale value and its the best thing i have ever ever ever spent any baby money on ( i have older dc).

MyDarlingClementine Mon 07-Oct-13 20:44:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now