Am I likely to tear again?

(8 Posts)
RNJ3007 Tue 20-Aug-13 22:35:59

I had a third degree and two second degree tears with DD.

I have DS 5 days ago, in triage after going 1cm to delivery in 2 minutes flat. His head was bigger. I have a nick, no stitches, despite the terrifying speed of delivery!!!

PoppyWearer Tue 20-Aug-13 22:21:10

I don't think this is something you can predict.

With DC1, she was teeny-tiny but all wrapped up in her limbs, so I had to be cut and then patched back together.

With DC2 the midwife told me right when I was crowning/pushing him out that I wasn't going to tear....and then DC2 turned out to have a massive nose and I tore badly!

I am now gazing at sweetly-sleeping DC2, and his massive conk, and with the benefit of hindsight, it's ok. grin

Shellywelly1973 Tue 20-Aug-13 22:09:57

I had a third degree tear with dc1. Was cut with dc2. With dc 3,4&5 nothing at all. Totally fine, no stitches at all.

MummyJetsetter Tue 20-Aug-13 21:27:11

Thank you for your responses! I honestly don't think it would have happened if I could have taken a minute to wait for a contraction, it was a really good labour up to that point and took only 6 hours start to finish. It's good to know that it doesn't necessarily mean I'll tear again, you've put my mind at ease! x

littlemonkeychops Tue 20-Aug-13 20:43:31

Hi

I had a second degree tear with DD1, just a few stitches. No tearing at all with DD2, even though she was nearly a whole pound heavier. I was much more relaxed second time around and the pushing stage was easier, my MW said lots of people don't tear 2nd time around.

As your tearing was due to his shoulders coming out too quickly rather than just a "standard" tear iykwim i would try not to worry, there's no reason to assume you'll tear again, and even if you did it might only be a small tear.

motownmover Tue 20-Aug-13 14:12:26

Mummyjetsetter I think you should ask for a referral.

I've had 2 3 dregree tears and had a meeting with a surgeon today who could not believe that I didn't have a c-section for my second labour.

I too wish I had a c-section - but some people do get away lightly and don't tear as much.

CurlsRUs Tue 20-Aug-13 13:35:42

I had third-degree tears first time around with DD (after an epidural, ventouse and forceps delivery) so was scared about going through it all again.

But I only had the tiniest of tears with DS - I think it helped that I was super-relaxed (after reading Ina-May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, which was brilliant at helping me stay positive and calm) and also that I gave birth in the bath!

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine x

MummyJetsetter Tue 20-Aug-13 13:29:55

Hi, I'm due my second baby in 7 weeks. I haven't been scared about the labour as such but I have this niggling fear about tearing again. I tore the first time because the cord was wrapped twice around my sons neck and I had to push his shoulders out quickly without waiting for the next contraction. Does anyone know if this makes it more likely that I will tear this time or does it not really matter? Has anyone torn with their first but not their second? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now