can i induce labour

(10 Posts)
soisolated Sun 18-Aug-13 09:28:54

Hello, having a rough time at the moment.

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant. The birth was all planned in lovely hospital, 3rd baby so I know what to expect, my mum was coming to look after the children.

Now all this has changed my dad died on Tuesday we are miles from home where he lived. My parents are separated but there is no way my mum can now competently care for the children. At the moment we are also with my brother who could have the children but in a week he has to go back to work in another country, he can't stay. So we have no one to have the children. I am seriously considering asking the midwife if they can give me a caesarean or induce me now, so we have someone here for the children. All of this is coupled with the grief stress and loss of my father. I just don't know what to do, I don't think I can give birth alone, I want my husband there I am so mixed up. Can anyone give me any advice please.

Sounds like you're having a rough time. I'm pretty sure they won't induce early or do a csection early without medical reason though.

soisolated Sun 18-Aug-13 10:59:29

no didn't think there was much chance of it. I guess I'll be giving birth alone

Bunnylion Sun 18-Aug-13 11:06:51

So sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.

But can you not line up a local babysitter who can come out when you are ready to go to hospital?

If not then there must be a friend or neighbour who would be able to help by having the children, if you just ask. Anyone would understand that you want your husband with you at the birth and I'm sure many would put themselves out to help - just ask.

redcaryellowcar Sun 18-Aug-13 11:09:09

Lets hope baby arrives when your brother can look after the dcs. I am sorry you are having such a horrid time, do your dcs have any friends whose parents would have them for a sleep over or would come to stay at your place? If I had friends in same situation I would have my bags packed and ds and I would go to stay until baby popped (once summoned)

soisolated Sun 18-Aug-13 12:15:54

thank you for your messages. I will be asking a few friends but it feels like an imposition. I do have a friend who I would feel comfortable with as a birth partner though so maybe this is the way to go.

TobyLerone Sun 18-Aug-13 15:25:06

I would never say no if one of my friends asked me to look after her children while she gave birth. I'm sure your friends wouldn't either.

Or do you think your mum would be able to have the children in a few weeks? Chances are you have a bit of time.

I'm sorry for your loss flowers

PastaBeeandCheese Sun 18-Aug-13 17:05:57

It's not an imposition at all. You've lost your Dad and you're about to give birth. If I was your friend i'd be desperate to do something to help you. I'd be pleased you'd asked for my help so I could actually do something to make things a tiny bit easier for you.

I'm sorry for everything you are going through.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 18-Aug-13 20:35:41

They may induce for exceptional circumstances it says in the Nice guidelines eg a parent dying so they can meet baby or dad in forces, may be worth speaking to your consultant only they can decide.

MrsDibble Fri 23-Aug-13 11:25:31

I would try being very pushy with them to get them to induce. If you are feeling very stressed about this it cannot be good for the baby, and at 37 weeks you are technically at term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now