Nil by mouth c section?

(12 Posts)
whyno Fri 16-Aug-13 21:51:25

I'm booked in for a c section in a week but I'm feeling like I might well go into labour before then. In fact maybe tonight.

Feeling really anxious as was told to be nil by mouth from the night before. But what if I do go into labour and they have to do the c section early? I won't have been nil by mouth.

Really flipping out about this! Any reassurance out there?

oscarwilde Fri 16-Aug-13 22:04:41

According to wikipedia it's only an issue if you have to have a general anaesthetic and then they can do something called nasal aspiration to reduce the risk. Guidelines are fasting for 6 hrs and clear liquids for 2 hrs. Prob best not to have a heavy meal tonight but you should be fine smile

whyno Fri 16-Aug-13 22:06:16

Thanks so much. Was getting into a tizz about it!

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 16-Aug-13 22:08:29

No problem at all.

With planned surgery, they like to do all the nice prep like fasting.

With emergency/unplanned surgery, they just get on with it. It's not like they refuse to operate on you if you have a car accident on your way back from KFC... grin

It's just the perfect, easiest version, against perfectly ok.

Cravingdairy Fri 16-Aug-13 22:09:27

I had an EMCS and no one even asked what I'd eaten or when. Good luck!

milkysmum Fri 16-Aug-13 22:10:32

When I went into Labour with my second they tried to keep me nil by mouth just because the first was emergency c section and they might need to do another. I had she sneaking me food into delivery suite!! I ended up with second emergency c section and was fine!

milkysmum Fri 16-Aug-13 22:12:18

Dh not she!!!

Meglet Fri 16-Aug-13 22:15:23

There was no fasting before my EMCS, I'd had a portion of chip shop chips, coke and chocolate in early labour. The op was fine, me and DS were fine, my poor bowels were not happy for a few days though.

ChunkyPickle Fri 16-Aug-13 22:18:39

My VBAC midwife confirmed exactly what Oscar said when I asked about eating in labour. It's only even slightly an issue if you're going under general, and if you do then it's the anaesthetist's job to stop you inhaling your own vomit.

Damnautocorrect Fri 16-Aug-13 22:22:52

I was sat eating about 3/4 hrs before my emcs so don't worry and good luck xxx

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Aug-13 22:25:17

I had a ( unplanned) crash section under GA a couple of hours after sandwbiches and crisps. Granted I.was unconscious for 3 hours, but I don' t remember the food being a problem.

Steffnexis9 Wed 21-Aug-13 11:00:59

I had an elcs and nil by mouth almost killed me a i have dry mouth and was so thirsty.... My sis kept giving me little sips when no one was looking as i went about 14 hours with no water!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now