How long did it take for you to stop looking pregnant after the birth?

(38 Posts)
Soontobemama Fri 16-Aug-13 18:30:54

My baby is 4 days old today and I still look pregnant. How long should I expect to wait until my stomach starts to go down?

Obviously I know its going to take a while but I'm new to all this and have no idea whats normal.

I had an emergency section and my legs are still really swollen too. I got a big shock when I looked in the mirror after I got home and saw them as nobody had warned me and I hadn't really gained weight on them during the pregnancy so I was a bit WTF!?

Also did any one else find they had no appetite afterwards? I'm not sure if its as a result of the tiredness or a side effect of the epidural etc.

MortifiedAdams Sat 17-Aug-13 06:46:37

When dd was a year old I thought I should really tackle the extra few stone. Then I realised I wanted another baby so now she is 20months I still look pg because I am grin

Im giving myself four weeks of arse sitting after this one (if a standard delivery), then Im.going to walk it off with the help.of copious amounts of salad.

I hope.

elQuintoConyo Sat 17-Aug-13 07:02:49

I still look about 7 months pregnant. DS is 20mo. For some it flies off, for some it doesn't.
My breastfeeding Sil was thinner than she'd been for five years after 6 months of bfing. Not her dd is 2 and she stopped bfing about 3-4 months ago, she's ballooning.
We are all.different.

Soontobemama Sat 17-Aug-13 22:04:17

I'm not talking about weight here or getting back into shape. A lot if replies seem to think that's what I'm concerned about.

What I mean by "looking pregnant" is when does the bump go down ie how long did it take other posters for their uterus to shrink back?

I've no idea how much actual weight I do or don't have to lose but I do have a bump still. It's gone down over the course of the week but as my DH charmingly put it I look a pregnant shape as opposed to looking like I'm a bit fat around the middle. I don't know whether that's normal or not? I was expecting more of a deflated balloon type look.

I've been quite constipated since coming out of hospital and am not sure whether that's making me bloated and I should start taking something to help. I'm taking so many other tablets and injections right now I'm loathe to have yet another thing to remember to do.

Rockchick1984 Sun 18-Aug-13 07:27:33

To

Rockchick1984 Sun 18-Aug-13 07:29:41

Whoops! Took about 10 days for my uterus to shrink back down, midwife had a prod of my tummy and told me it had gone back down, I had no idea what I would have been expecting. Breastfeeding contracts it back quicker, as does drinking raspberry leaf tea smile

ratqueen Mon 19-Aug-13 10:24:54

soontobe It took about 10 days/two weeks for my uterus to contract down to normal size, and for the water retention (totally to get normal post-baby - I am very puffy on early baby pics) to go. The midwife will check your uterus is shrinking at your visits.

I was also appetite-less and constipated. Walking helped the latter, when you can manage it (a gentle stroll round the corner a week or so after had me pooing almost immediately after I got back!). Syrup of fig might also help but ask your midwife - constipation post-birth is totally normal, they asked me about it at every postnatal visit. Plain food like tea/toast/potatoes/fish was good for the no appetite.

As you say, the rest of the weight is not really relevant to your q, but you can think about that, if you need to, once you've got over your c-section. But incidentally I easily lost the overall weight and more, possibly from all the pram pushing I was doing! Everyone is different.

ratqueen Mon 19-Aug-13 10:26:19

*totally normal to get, even!

rockybalboa Mon 19-Aug-13 10:32:39

Varies I think. I had DS3 5 weeks ago and my stomach had pretty much gone down to its previous 'just a fat belly' status in about a week but then I did have mega after pains shrinking everything down! And the joy of DS1 saying "mummy it looks like you've got another baby in your tummy"hmm

Crmmum Tue 27-Aug-13 00:20:14

Everyone is so different. I actually lost 4 stone in pregnancy due to hg, so I think baby just filled my loose tummy skin and I had zero bump whatsoever 24 hours after giving birth... Jammy, eh?!

SandySherwood Mon 28-Oct-13 23:57:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

clarinsgirl Tue 29-Oct-13 00:02:22

You need to change your name soontobe ��

daisywaisydoo Tue 29-Oct-13 00:07:53

My tummy is still all jellyish, and pregnant looking in tighter clothes. Jeans still dont fit me.

I swear i was slimmer about a week after having her than i am now blush Its being at home lots i just eat!!

She is 16 weeks.

Congratulations!

TransatlanticCityGirl Thu 31-Oct-13 22:25:44

Can't remember exactly but I'm sure I was in my pre pregnancy jeans within 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now