Has anyone refused a forceps delivery when baby got stuck, and had a CS instead?

(34 Posts)
bronya Thu 15-Aug-13 14:30:35

I managed to stave one off (just) with my firstborn, but sometimes have nightmares about what could have happened. He'd only just descended into the birth canal and his heartbeat became erratic with the first few pushes. Luckily, as they were contemplating this, his heartbeat steadied and all was ok in the end. However, they kept saying to me that as I'd started pushing he was too low for a CS and they would have to use the long forceps to pull him out fast. Is this really true? It would have been pretty horrific given how far up he was, and the stats for injuries/brain damage/scarring kept going through my head. If I'd refused point blank, would they have doing a CS? About to try for DC2 and just can't stop thinking about it.

PoppyAmex Thu 15-Aug-13 19:08:01

Should have to go through something like that.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 15-Aug-13 22:13:37

I must say that based on what I know about Kiellands or high forceps I don't think the whole HCPs know best line works.

Those forceps are banned in quite q few countries so it's obviously possible to not use them. They are banned due to the high rate of damage they cause.

There was a mini scandal after a dr at our local hosp used these on a woman and left her with very serious long term damage and her baby with permanent brain injuries. I'd be pushing for an eMCs if I got to that stage.

These are the one thing about giving birth that really scares me...

vez123 Mon 19-Aug-13 21:16:45

My friend had an ELCS. Her baby was in an awkward position and the doctors had to deliver him via forceps. So even during a Caesarian there is a chance of forceps!
I had a forceps delivery with my first and quite frankly if the heart rate of your baby is going down visibly and your baby is already very low in the birth canal I guess you would think twice about refusing forceps.

I had an EMCS after failure to progress in 2nd stage (after over 2 hours of pointless pushing and a 20 hour 1st stage). DD was back to back, halfway down birth canal and needed turning. Consultant suggested one attempt with forceps and then EMCS if that didn't work. I didn't fancy being damaged every where ( and jst wanted the whole thing over) so asked if we could skip the forceps and go straight to EMCS. They did.

Actually, I think my request to the consultant that she just take the baby out then kill me, as I couldn't take the pain any longer, may have informed the decision as well!

Steffnexis9 Tue 20-Aug-13 12:55:51

I have delat with a couple of babies damaged or even who have died after high forceps removal as doctors arent necessarily skilled enough to use them properly... I would do what i could to avoid a forceps and it is in my birth plan that forceps be the last thing concidered nless my bby is going to be hurt more by not using them... I would rther. Second c section if possible. Obviously it isnt necessrily possible

DolomitesDonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 13:05:53

As vez123 says, I've had an ELCS with ventouse delivery! That means, planned section and they still use ventouse to get the baby out through the section hole. If they'd gone for forceps I'd have been none the wiser behind the curtain of surprise. It's not always as clear-cut as "I won't have this/that".

BraveLilBear Wed 21-Aug-13 11:08:44

I always said I would refuse forceps but when I woubd up in theatre for a trial of ventouse/forceps then emcs I was relieved to have avoided csec.

My notes say mid cavity in some places and low cavity in others- but I'm pretty sure high forceps are banned/no longer used in this trust so it would have been a csec anyway if DS had been higher up.

Your mind goes to a different place in the moment.

PeriodMath Tue 27-Aug-13 05:57:25

Important you know there are different kinds of forceps. Kiellands are the high ones. Wrigleys are the low ones - very safe, for babies who are well down, waiting to pop out. Only a small amount of traction is needed.

DS was born this way with not a mark on him. My recovery was fine. So glad I didn't need a c-section. Don't underestimate major abdominal surgery.

PastaBeeandCheese Tue 27-Aug-13 06:26:02

periodmath is right on the money IMO. I marked my birth plan no high / rotational forceps and was told there was no real need as they are not used in my trust. Check this out with your midwife.

My DD had nasty merconion stained waters and they ended up hoiking her out with wrigleys forceps as her heart rate dropped so low and vontouse failed. 'twas fine. They hardly went in at all.... They just wanted to give DD to the paediatrician as soon as possible.

If I'd gone for a section at that point DD would have had to be pushed back up and given I hadn't had an epidural time wouldn't have been on my side.

I didn't even have to go to theatre. The Dr delivered her in the original room.

That said my friend's baby died of merconion aspiration at 2 days old the year before DD was born so I would have probably cut her out myself with a rusty spoon I was so scared she wasn't going to be ok.

I'm pregnant with #2 now and will out same thing in my plan but the midwife mentioned chances of an assisted birth are under 1% second time round so fingers crossed for us both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now