Can any midwives look at my symptoms for me?

(21 Posts)
SourSweets Tue 30-Jul-13 12:13:12

Hi,

I don't want to call my own midwife because she's always so busy and I know there's nothing she can do anyway until I'm in active labour, but can anyone tell me if they think I'm in latent labour now?

I'm 39 weeks, for the last 4 weeks I've been getting period cramps and lower back ache. They've gradually been getting stronger and more uncomfortable although still not painful. Last night though I had rather painful period cramps, back ache and a hardening of my bump every few minutes for over 3 hours. Then I got a runny bum. Then they eased off.

This morning I've had a few very spaced out cramps but have continual back ache no matter what position I'm in. No plug, no waters, but I have had increased discharge (of normal colour etc) for the last few days.

I know I'm not due for another week, but I've been getting these cramps and diarrhea for SO long now, I'm just confused about what it is if it's not the start of something. Getting a bit frustrated to be honest.

I know no-one can know for sure until something big happens, but any opinions are much appreciated. Please tell me it's not going to go on like this for another 3 weeks!

Thank you!

belle1992 Tue 30-Jul-13 13:57:00

Hi it sounds like things are slowly happening and could start to move quickly at any time, I was similar to you came on very gradually and on the day of my due date I started having more regular contractions. But just relax and go with it you dont need to be seen until in very active labour. I went to hospital when the contractions were really strong and a few minutes apart.. I remember feeling like this baby is never going to come out! but it does! And I'd say no more than another week but could be any time, try to get as much sleep as you can you need as much energy as you can get, good luck!

lola1980 Tue 30-Jul-13 14:23:57

Oh I am in exactly the same situation as you... The past three nights I've been kept up with painful contractions, but when I've timed them they are anything from 7-13mins apart. I eventually fall asleep. I've had almost constant BH for the past couple of weeks but they aren't painful at all.
I haven't had a show either so am worried that I'm getting my hopes up, I'm due in a week. Also, my baby is back to back so I'm concerned that I'm trying to labour, but her position is slowing things down.

I have an appointment with the mw later today so I will ask her what she makes of it, and get back to you, our situation is similar so maybe could be helpful for you too x

SourSweets Tue 30-Jul-13 15:42:49

Thank you both for your replies. Even the sporadic contractions have stopped now and the backache has eased a bit too.

Belle I hope you're right about it not being too much longer. No-one told me this limbo stage could last for so long! How long before your due date were you feeling like this?

Lola it would be great to hear what your midwife says. I hope it's good news!

I'm trying to have a nice relaxing bath now but the cat's just come in and done a big stinky poo in his litter tray sad today is not my day!

lola1980 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:44:37

Ok I'm back... She said that it certainly sounds like slow labour, which is very common in first pregnancies (I'm not sure if this is your first too?) She said that every contraction is doing something, so try not to get disheartened when they fizzle out because it's not for nothing! I asked how long this can go on, she basically said how long is a piece of string, she wouldn't be surprised if she saw me at my next appointment shock this almost made me cry!
But things are definitely moving for us and it really won't be long before we have our babies. I guess I'd rather have a stop - start labour than just nothing at all! X

belle1992 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:02:18

It was about 3 weeks before my due date that I thought she was coming every day was very slow, yes it is common in first pregnancies I'm assuming this is your first? It feels like its really slow but just try and relax and appreciate the quiet while you can. Baby will come when they're ready! sorry thats not very helpful :/

SourSweets Tue 30-Jul-13 17:44:53

Oh Lola that makes me feel so much better. That's a good way to look at it, that every contraction is doing something. I keep thinking its a pointless thing which I guess is why I'm so frustrated. Hopefully that will be your last appointment with her and your baby will be here soon! My fingers are crossed for both of us.

Belle, yes it is my first pregnancy. Good to know its normal. I've watched a film and had a bath this afternoon, neither of which I'll be able to do uninterrupted when he's here and you are right about enjoying the rest!

I feel a bit less in limbo and more like things are happening but will happen at their own pace now, thank you!

SourSweets Wed 31-Jul-13 12:18:12

So just to update, I'm back from the midwife and baby is fully engaged and I'm in latent labour! She thinks it will be less than a week from now. Yay!

lola1980 Wed 31-Jul-13 14:04:44

Yay exciting! I went for a huge walk around asda this morning and barely managed to get back as I was in so much pain... Came home and lay down for an hour and I'm fine again now angry

Really must stop stressing about it and just enjoy lying around and OH feeding me! Good luck though, I hope it's soon for both of us smile

SourSweets Wed 31-Jul-13 14:08:13

Haha me too, just got back from ikea! Yours sound like they've been more painful than mine, so if mine is less than a week yours could literally be any day! Keep me updated.. X

belle1992 Wed 31-Jul-13 20:19:06

good luck both of you smile

SourSweets Fri 02-Aug-13 05:26:20

Think I'm in labour!! Mild cobtractions started at 6 last night, DTD with willing (starved) husband at 8 to speed things along and by 9 contractions were coming much stronger. So it's been 11 hours now, not slept at all. Got my TENS on which is pretty good. Excited!

LoveBeingItsABoy Fri 02-Aug-13 05:36:27

My midwife says 'what get 'em in, gets 'em out!'

SourSweets Fri 02-Aug-13 05:46:30

Haha, it's true! You're up early, thanks for making me laugh, husband is still asleep.

lola1980 Fri 02-Aug-13 09:33:38

Ooh I hope this is it for you! How exciting! My labour isn't going anywhere and was in floods of tears last night, my poor OH is probably glad to be at work today... Poor bugger. Hope everything is going ok for you, please let us know how you're getting on grin

SourSweets Fri 02-Aug-13 12:12:50

Every 7 minutes now, around about. They hurt, don't they?! All good though, tens machine and husband are both great. Cat keeps biting my feet. Sorry you were feeling shoddy last night Lola, hopefully things will start moving for you soon x

mumofone25 Fri 02-Aug-13 12:24:48

Good luck soursweets! Exciting! Yes indeed they do hurt!!

lola1980 Sat 03-Aug-13 08:50:50

How are you getting on soursweets? Hope you're snuggling your little bundle xx

SourSweets Sun 04-Aug-13 01:47:03

Gorgeous little baby boy born at 6.30 Saturday morning! Currently up cuddling and feeding. Amazing to be a mummy x

LoveBeingItsABoy Sun 04-Aug-13 07:00:10

Yay congrats!

lola1980 Sun 04-Aug-13 10:37:39

Aww well done and congratulations! Bet you're glad it's all over and you can get on with the fun bit smile

Still here waiting for mine after a full week of latent labour... But I've stopped complaining and just enjoying the quiet for now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now